• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spectators Sport

chaosgadoury

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2018
This has been mentioned a few times during the podcasts so it got me thinking.

What makes a spectators sport? People just need to find something interesting to watch. People watch golf. It is not exciting and it is slow. I don't know how they do it for hours on end, but they do both in person and on TV. There are plenty of other examples from bowling to car auctions.

I believe many people would find long range shooting interesting to watch if given the opportunity. Probably not watching in person since most matches are off the beaten path and in unimproved areas, but by watching online or on TV. An "Armchair" Spectator sport that is easy to watch from home. Live would be difficult, but after the fact is already being done by the NRL in 20-30 minute videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCutY2y8_D2XYb3RS--N7LIw

2 camera crews following the top 3-4 squads in a two day match could easily film 10+ hours of quality footage. Some short intros for each of the shooters and maybe some longer stories to throw in here and there to break up the pace. Add in some fancy graphics, overlays, picture-in-picture, and maybe a voice over and there has got to be a channel that would be interested. Sponsors would get much more exposure and the spectators could see the gear in action.

Reactions: aljones_315
Funny, I was thinking along similar lines, and as @Lowlight mentioned "it's all about eyeballs".

Like you, I think the similarities to golf are worth noting, though I think of it slightly different than you. I think that there should be a camera at each stage (like the PGA does with the tower and camera at each hole of the golf course). So that all shooters can be filmed unobtrusively, and the whole match, with everyone can be captured, and then later edited for play back or to just hit highlights. Like recent golf viewing changes, I think the ability to (in near real time) show the trace of the round would garner more excitement/viewing enjoyment.

If PRS/NRL could do something like this (filming that is), and get (maybe 5 starting out) matches braodcasted/posted either to ODN or some streaming media provider, I think they could garner enough "eyeballs" to attract advertisers (read: money). Then the whole "sponsored shooters", "prize tables" etc. becomes moot. All top prizes are cash/dollar awards, and the rest of the vendor products could be raffled or drawn by the remaining shooters and/or RO's (if the vendors even still provide products at matches then).

But, until there is media available to be watched by the masses, and a following to be created that drives advertisement dollars, this will all remain a hobby, and the prize table debates will continue.

JMTCW....

It’d be really cool if this became a reality. Be much more exciting than golf. Also, as new women shooters rise in the ranks, I think it’d appeal to a broader market watching men and women compete agaist each other in the same sport. I certainly enjoy watching the NRL/PRS full length videos on Youtube like ContengencyX. Very good quality stage graphics and video footage.

Politics aside, if our precision rifle hobby ever made it to ESPN, it would be positive for the sport.

Reactions: MarinePMI
If you built a mega canyon course with $100k+ in moving/programmable targets, zombie themed it all with squads getting down to pistols and always getting overran, maybe I watch.

The coolest thing I have watched about shooting was the IR footage that let me see the arc of the bullet going 800 yds downrange, it's more of a do it sport than a watch it sport I think... Top Shot was painful to watch for me.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
If you built a mega canyon course with $100k+ in moving/programmable targets, zombie themed it all with squads getting down to pistols and always getting overran, maybe I watch.

The coolest thing I have watched about shooting was the IR footage that let me see the arc of the bullet going 800 yds downrange, it's more of a do it sport than a watch it sport I think... Top Shot was painful to watch for me.

Agreed.

The NRL/Contingency X videos are well made, and some of them are fun to watch if you have an interest in shooting those types of matches...

But...watching a guy take 10-12 shots with a bolt action rifle off of a barricade, with maybe a little movement at some point, does not make for exciting entertainment. Having a Picture-in-picture shot of the target helps a little, but without that you really have no idea what's going on other than maybe hearing the RO call "impact." It gets boring in a hurry.

Golf at least allows you to follow the ball after it's been hit, and announcer commentary goes a long way towards painting a more interesting picture and building some tension and audience investment in the outcome (and I still find watching golf boring most of the time).

An truly entertaining precision shooting match video would need to really paint a complete picture of what was happening with the shooter, the target, and as the bullet travels between the two. And it would either need to build enough tension to keep it interesting (as with golf) or to substitute action and movement to hold the viewer's interest (which might require some big changes in match format). Or both.

Of all the action shooting sports, for now something like 3-gun is probably the easiest to adapt to a spectator sport.

I don’t think it would ever catch on because you’d have to be a shooter to appreciate how good these guys are. Kinda like how people that follow motocross and supercross are riders themselves. To a person that’s never ridden a motorcycle, they can’t appreciate how good these guys are at going that fast through 10” ruts, huge jumps and not dying in the process.

I don't know about that. I've never golfed a day in my life. That being said, I still sit back in wonder sometimes when I see some guy drive a ball 300+ yds, and land it 3" from the hole...consistently.

It's all about the presentation.

Hi,

Well I probably have a different take on precision rifle shooting becoming more of a spectator sport, which in turn equals more publicity for the sponsors, which equals more of the general public interested in precision rifle shooting, which continues the circle of life except the circle continues to get bigger with each cycle.

I do not think you could "spectator" build based on a Series of any sorts (Not at this moment anyways) in which episodes showed competitors at match a, match b, etc etc...BUT I think you could "spectator" it easier and faster by instead making it a challenge type show where each episode you bring in 24 shooters. The host pairs 2 to compete against each other in 3 stages. The winner moves on. Down to the final 2 of that episode. The season finale you bring back the top winner from the 12 episodes and they compete against each other in 5-6 stages. End of day you have that seasons Champ.

If it was based on sorta like Steve Austins Broken Skull Challenge it has enough excitement, drama and buildup that it could sustain viewership for a legitimate channel to pick it up due to the amount of money the industry pays for commercials during the show.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: tnc and PBWalsh
It would be very difficult to present long range shooting in such a format that it would be relatable to the spectator.

In golf, you can follow the ball in flight with the camera, see the entire hole they are on and the challenges/obstacles, and get an appreciation of how much talent and precision those guys have. People understand what it's like to drive a car and can at least speculate and appreciate the skillset it would take to pilot an F1 car around the tracks. Again, a lot of visibility around the track and it's challenges/obstacles.

Although I shoot PRS matches a few times a year, I just can't see the sport being much of a spectator sport. Even I find the contingency X videos boring (albeit they have good production quality) - and without shooting the actual stages the shooters are in any specific scene, it's really hard to relate and appreciate the challenge that that specific stage may present.

I find golf a lot more exciting to watch than shooting.

Scope cams that broadcast each shooters’ view through the scope as they shoot the stage live to TV screens at the range (and to recorded or live TV) would be the only way to fill seats. It’s possible with the products out there and technology that already exists, it would just need to be refined a bit.

Even as a participant in a match it’s not particularly exciting to watch other competitors shoot since you can only look at what they’re doing on the prop, or where their bullets are impacting if you’re on glass. It would pose a challenge if competitors watched your scope cam to get wind calls, etc, but the assumption would be there are rules to prohibit active competitors from viewing the live footage.

Derek Duncan has put out a few training videos on YouTube that utilize a Scope Cam, and it’s by far the most interesting and useful PRS video series I’ve seen. Watching Dave Preston clean the PRS barricade stage in 43 seconds is unreal since you’re seeing what he’s seeing from multiple views, most importantly through his scope.

Watching someone shoot a stage for 2 minutes and not seeing a scope cam or even a target camera is downright painful to try to sit through. I’ve tried many times to watch the Contingency X videos and just can’t do it.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Of all the action shooting sports, for now something like 3-gun is probably the easiest to adapt to a spectator sport.
Yeah and 3GN tried that very hard for a couple years and it fizzled out. Since precision rifle is like watching paint dry in comparison I just don't see it ever going anywhere in tv.

I love to shoot but can only watch for so long.
Some of them end up like watching brass tumble shortly.
A show that had finals from several disiplins and gear / tips for each maybe?

I think the key is good commentators that have interesting things to say about each person and great camera work. I mean who doesn't love watching a bullet drop in on a target?

I don't want to see people setup at one stage and then shoot. I want them to run through the entire course of fire at once. Kinda like NINJA warrior.

You've got 3 objects to shoot off of to engage X targets. The objects are 15-50 yards apart to add additional cardio, mess up their heartbeats.

Something like this
Station 1: Treehouse shoot, climb into treehouse with your gear, engage two targets at unknown distances <500yds
Station 2: 20 yards east of station 1, trench shoot, engage targets 300 yards away in a parallel trench
Station 3: 30 yards south of station 1, prone shoot, engage targets at >800 yards.

5 stages with three stations each. Each major region can host a "stadium".

Additional sub-stages where you fight to and from rifle with sidearm.

Have stages where you knock down "zombies" attacking a person, animal targets, movers, "countersniping" scenarios with lens flashers, vehicle shoots, flames, explosions, jet flyovers, Godzilla and the American flag and by God, you've got something great.

Don't ask me about scoring.

Soon enough we'll be replacing the fireplace channel with me at my reloading bench pouring powder and seating bullets.

If you guys can go watch Biathlon and really enjoy it then maybe NRL stuff has a chance.

Biathlon is huge in Europe and very exciting.

Now if you go watch it and say meh as a shooter then there no chance the average American is going to like it.

Watch a mass start or pursuit race or a sprint... it’s awesome stuff! If you like it then we have hope!