• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Speed vs Accuracy

jhedg

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2005
Gator Nation
Just wanted to know thoughts on it. My delema is I have a 300wm that I shoot 210vld's at 2700fps and it will shoot a little over 1" @ 300yds, and at 100yds it shoots better then I could get you all to belive, you probably would toss the B/S flag
smile.gif
anyway I have reloaded a lot of diffrent stuff, that are faster, but nothing that shoots like the 4350. 300yds is the farthest I have access to right now. My question is should I speed them up, and lose almost double in MOA, or leave them be.
It seems like I am kind of waisting the 300wm ability. Thanks all

Re: Speed vs Accuracy

I will take accuracy over velocity every time! But, you mention 4350 powder. That's not the best powder to optimize the 210 grain bullet in the 300 WM. I would be looking at H1000 or R25 to get the best velocity and accuracy. Try one of those powders, and you might get both.

I use to shoot a lot of 1000 yard matches with my Model 70 1000 yard gun in 300 WM. Like you I found (using 200 SMKs witch worked best for me) that the milder loads were more accurate. Simple fix, I just adjusted the sights for the mild loads.

Slower usually = lower pressure = longer barrel life.

So long as you can live with the wind drift and aren't messed up by a higher mid-range trajectory, then I'd stick with 2700.

Recoil in a bolt gun with 210-gr bullets could also be a factor for match shooting. Many of us get more fatigued when kicked harder.

How much faster is your other load? It would have to be much faster to matter on the difference between a wind read and absolute grouping ability for hitting a target.

A quick check of most of the books shows you topping out at about 2800-2850fps, not worth loosing accuracy for a 100fps.

what is your accuracy requirements? too many people obsess over itty bitty bench groups (maybe that's all they have to do). if the faster load shoots better than your needs/abilities, that's what i'd shoot. but, i very seldom shoot off the bench. a .6moa rifle in the field will not be the weak link in the platform. the weak link will be the shooter, and velocity helps the shooter minimize errors in ranging and wind reading. if you remove the bench and add UKD, the faster load may perform better.

if the faster load shoots .6moa, i'd be very reluctant to shoot the slower load.