• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Speeding up my .308

huntermanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Wyoming
I am currently loading my .308 with 175grain Berger VLD's and 46.5 gr Varget. I am getting great groups but I am hoping to gain some velocity by switching powder. Any recommendations? How much of a difference will it make?

Re: Speeding up my .308

If you want velocity shoot 155 Scenars. It doesn't make sense to try to get a speed advantage with heavier bullets that don't give you any BC advantage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want velocity shoot 155 Scenars. It doesn't make sense to try to get a speed advantage with heavier bullets that don't give you any BC advantage. </div></div>

I primarily use this gun for long range hunting and went with a heavy bullet hoping to buck the wind a little better. Any thoughts about the 155's and wind. Also, do you know how they do in game? I have been very happy with the VLD's on game but that heavy of a bullet is indeed slow

I should also mention that I am doing everything from hunting antelope at 5000' in 80 degree weather to hunting elk at over 10000 and at times below zero temp.

I'm using Hodgdon CFE223 under 178 AMAX in my .308 gas gun. I have a accuracy node with 46.8 grains CFE223 with AMAX seated 2.180 from ogive. The JP 16" barrel is 1 in 10" twist and they go 2550ish fps (Pact XP chrono) in 60* temp at sea level.
I'll take it!!!

Edit; that's all in Hornady Match .308 brass

The lighter bullet will provide more speed. But you have a good recipe there. I would stick with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1bad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rl15 will help out a little</div></div>

Maybe but with him using the load in 80* temp swings he needs something more stable than RL15

Rak187 took a Colorado elk at 560 yards with 155 Scenars this year. Worked fine. Of course, shot placement was key.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntermanpaul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2000mr pretty temp stable?</div></div>

All reports that I have seen is that it is less than one FPS per degree (somewhere around .6-.7) where Varget is around .3-.5 FPS/Deg. So yes it does pretty well but not quite as good as varget.

I can't state my sources but have seen consistent results from several people so take what you want out of my post.

At 46+gr Varget and a Berger 175, if you want more performance, I'd seriously consider a 300WSM or a 300WM.

You've maxed out the 308's potential.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntermanpaul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am hoping to gain some velocity by switching powder. Any recommendations? How much of a difference will it make? </div></div>The .308 isn't about velocity. If you want to improve its performance with VLDs try JLKs: 175VLD @ .545 BC or 180 VLD at .580BC. Try those with 45.0 Varget for 2700fps+ and be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want velocity shoot 155 Scenars. It doesn't make sense to try to get a speed advantage with heavier bullets that don't give you any BC advantage. </div></div>

+2
bill larson

Thanks for all the helpful info! I picked up some 2000 today and I am going to chrony some loads tomorrow to see how it compares. Thanks again!

+1 on the 2000mr. when the 175gr hpbt's are gone, try the 190s, if you have 1/11.25 twist and a 26" barrel. At your altitude, you should be accurate to at least 1300yds. I'm still blown away by this powder, pushing heavies fast with no perceivable pressure signs.

I have tried 190gr SMKs. 190s suck in a .308 because velocity goes down significantly, pressure goes up quickly, there's not enough room in the case for slow burning powders and you only pick-up 25 BC points with that bullet.

If you want to experiment with the heavies, try the 208 Amax.

I had a different experience. I agreed with the above post until I started using 2000mr. I had issues trying to get the 208 Amax to group, but have had recent success with the Hornady 208 HPBT & 47gr 2000mr, Win brass. It's on the warm side, but it's smack in the accuracy node, using it for winter shooting.
With 46.5gr under a 190gr Nosler CC, I'm averaging 3/4moa and getting 2730fps from a 26" 5R barrel. NO pressure signs. I am using Fed brass and on the 5th firing, still holding primers. There are other people doing this with similar results. I don't know why it works so well, it just does. I guess the only thing to do from here is to see how it affects barrel longevity

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm using Hodgdon CFE223 under 178 AMAX in my .308 gas gun. I have a accuracy node with 46.8 grains CFE223 with AMAX seated 2.180 from ogive. The JP 16" barrel is 1 in 10" twist and they go 2550ish fps (Pact XP chrono) in 60* temp at sea level.
I'll take it!!!

Edit; that's all in Hornady Match .308 brass </div></div>

I am becoming a huge fan of CFE223 in my .308 Bolt gun. 168 to the "Varget Crunch" when trying to get speed.

I get the same speed you mentioned from my 24" bbl bolt gun with the 178's and 2815 with the 168's. I have room for more but these loads give me what I neeed, accurately.

Loaded a few rounds with 2000 and tested velocity today, gained almost 200 fps at the min. I was pushing a 175 vld at 2860. Going to start loading up .3 gr and find if I can get one to group well. Thanks for the help guys!