• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Speer Gold Dot 30 Cal

Mongoose67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado
Bullets are still hard to find (not to mention primers and powder). I picked up 3 boxes of 168 gr Speer Gold Dot in 30 CAL. I plan on reloading for my M1A and M1 Garand. Anyone have experience with Gold Dot's in a rifle? Wondering how well they shoot and if they are a decent hunting bullet.

Yes, I believe strongly in the Speer 168gr Gold Dot for the 308/30-06. I use IMR-4064 pretty exclusively. I have W-748 and would use it if supplies required it.

43.5gr IMR-4064 for the 308, 48.5gr IMR-4064 for the 30-06. I essentially use the loads in military/match type loadings, but terminal performance is first rate, hunting-wise.

Since I'm not fully familiar with your barrels I would suggest starting lower and working up. I use my fired primers are my primary pressure indicators.

I have used these loads in an M1A, M1 Garand, and now, a 20" PA-10. They are accurate and effective. The M1A is gone now, but these loads have been standards for my GI rifles since the mid-1990's.

Greg

Last edited: