• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spent Brass hitting Windage knob

Kevlars

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2011
USA
Not sure to post it here or in the optics section so will take a shot.

On my rifle after the round is ejected (.308 Bolt action custom Tactical Rifle with Night Force NXS 5.5-22 HSZS)the spent brass is hitting or appears to be grazing the windage knob on the bottom.

Has anyone come across that before? I tried the search with several searchs but came up blank -- maybe not using the correct terms. I know it is only cosmetic and shouldn't care but I like to keep my stuff nice as long as I can.

Re: Spent Brass hitting Windage knob

Thats strange, I have never had that happen before. What type of rifle do you have? Also have you tried moving the scope on the rail so that the windage knob is not near the ejection area? Presuming you are using a rail.

Totally normal.

My USO has brass marks on the bottom of the windage turret. As long as the brass isn't bouncing back into the chamber you are fine.

If you want your stuff to look new forever......don't use it.

"custom tactical"??? That doesn't tell us anything about the action.

It's obviously not an action where bolt draw affects the force with which the brass is ejected, but you may be able to weaken/replace the ejector (depending on type) so that it only gives the brass a small love tap to roll out the port, not fling 5 lanes down the range lineup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

On my rifle after the round is ejected (.308 Bolt action custom Tactical Rifle with Night Force NXS 5.5-22 HSZS)the spent brass is hitting or appears to be grazing the windage knob on the bottom.
</div></div>

Yep, Nothing wrong nor new. The case is coming up and out of the port and the knob is in that spot...happens with large windage turrets. Just shoot and don't worry about it.

I am sure someone will give you a solution to reduce wear and improve appearance, but on mine, I don't worry. There is wear on the scope body and the turret.

Some custom action makers have worked to change the ejection angle, that may be a solution for you.

Enjoy

KSwift ,

The actual manufacture is Tactical Rifles (http://www.tacticalrifles.net)

The action is a Chimera which is their own brand... I know it is confusing having a tactical rifle made by Tactical Rifles.

Again I dont want it to look new forever ... but if something was wrong I would want to know... on my last scope my Leupold it did not have any marks but the knobs are smaller.

LoneWolfUSMC, MTETM

Thanks for the info -- I will shoot and not worry about it ... plus it gives it character....

Thanks again.