• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sphur "Wedge"

taulce1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2018
Louisville, KY
How accurately does the "wedge" level the scope? Are you guys trusting it completely or backing it up with a leveling kit? I've never used one and i'm wondering how well it works. Thanks.

It levels the tube, not the reticle. It does a perfect job at leveling the tube though.

You still need to perform a reticle check with a plumb bob or verified straight edge. A full tracking test should be performed in fact with any new optic.

It levels the tube, not the reticle. It does a perfect job at leveling the tube though.

You still need to perform a reticle check with a plumb bob or verified straight edge. A full tracking test should be performed in fact with any new optic.

It's going on a Tangent Theta. Tube / Reticle better be synonymous. I know what you're saying though.

I hear you there. Happens more than you'd think, even on high-end optics.

Most people only check it with no erector travel. Just mount it, check for level and go. That's where the tracking test can really show any issues throughout the full travel.

Reactions: taulce1
Everything has an acceptable tolerance, even high end optics... But you should be more than fine. Just confirm with a plumb line.

Last edited:
I hear you there. Happens more than you'd think, even on high-end optics.

Most people only check it with no erector travel. Just mount it, check for level and go. That's where the tracking test can really show any issues throughout the full travel.

I'll have to research how to perform this test. I'm just getting into this game and it's all new to me. I've got the gear. Just need the knowledge to go with it. Thank you for your input.

Didn’t work with mine. My windage knob was too big and prevented it from being used. I almost cut the wedge, but ended up just using feeler gauges instead

It's going on a Tangent Theta. Tube / Reticle better be synonymous. I know what you're saying though.

Not sure why you think any reticle on any optic should be perfectly plumb with an outside surface.

Unless they advertise that, it’s not a valid expectation.

Not sure why you think any reticle on any optic should be perfectly plumb with an outside surface.

Unless they advertise that, it’s not a valid expectation.

I guess when it's my money, my expectation can be whatever I want them to be. :ROFLMAO: Seriously though, for that kind of money, it better be perfect or at least as close as possible. My cheap Leupolds are.

I guess when it's my money, my expectation can be whatever I want them to be. :ROFLMAO: Seriously though, for that kind of money, it better be perfect or at least as close as possible. My cheap Leupolds are.

Your money only gets you what the manufacturer tells you that you get for it.

Do like everyone with any sense tells you, get it close with the wedge and then fine tune it with a plumb line.

That is the only way you will for sure have the reticle level to gravity.