• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spike's Tactical .22 LR upper

Gunfighter25

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Hawaii
Just got this in and was wondering about the note from Spike's that accompanied it. It says, " Depending on your trigger setup, the recoil spring may need to be tuned accordingly."

Okay - don't understand how the recoil spring is affected by the trigger. Secondly, what I am I looking for to determine whether I need to tune the recoil spring and lastly - how the hell do you tune a recoil spring - other than replacing it with a stronger spring or (shudder) cutting it.

Plan is to try it out tomorrow with a couple different types of copper-plated rounds to see what it likes. May hold off depending on what you guys come up with. One guy mentioned that the retaining pin for the spring is small and easy to lose, so to get a few replacements

Thanks

Gunfighter

Re: Spike's Tactical .22 LR upper

I wondered about that myself when I got mine but I didn't have to do anything with it. As the instructions included with the upper stated mine feeds fine with the 550 rd. value pack from Walmart and is accurate too. But I have heard several on here say their's shoots other brands well too. I think it may have something to do with plated vs. non-plated bullets.

Hilbillie - thanks for the info. Was going to burn through a brick of Mini Mags today but got waylaid by a tactical match that ran long. Will try again next weekend - weather permitting.

Gunfighter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't understand how the recoil spring is affected by the trigger.</div></div>

My best guess would be that since the .22 bolt is so much smaller and lighter and is coming back with less force than the 5.56 bolt, that it might not be able to reset the hammer. My Model 1 Sales .22 upper came with a set of trigger springs, I'm guessing for the same reason.

the bolt resets the trigger/hammer. thus, the hammer spring weight has a direct effect on how the bolt cycles. trimming the recoil spring allows more energy to be used for resetting the hammer...

they have a really good group of threads in the industry forum over on arfcom. my upper is shooting extremely well. however, i've had a lot of issue with FTF, FTE, etc. mostly they are ammo related, so you may have to monkey with it a bit to find ammo it really likes.

been using CCI mini mags (part number 0040) and the 36 and 40 grain aguila with success.

hope this helps.

-michael

mine ran Fed Semi Auto Match from wally world without a hicup... had a giessele trigger in it, no problems with the way it came from the factory.

Do not use remington bulk ... shit sucks. FTFs every round

Mumbles, Septic and 4th - thanks for the info. Got my rear BUIS in today and right now the plan is to get out to the range and try out a few hi-velocity rounds.

Needed to modify my lower a little so that the upper mated well with the lower. A little shaving with a fine stone around the bolt release and we're in business.

Will keep an eye on the hammer reset and bolt. Will try to post pictures.

Gunfighter

Got back from the range today. Excellent conditions for testing a .22 LR - horizontal rain (well, almost), gusts to 35 MPH coming from 10 and 2 o'clock (alternating for about an hour) and of course a late start. From what everyone was wearing I thought there was snow on the ground - parkas, fleece jackets, heavy boots. Kestral said it was 68 degrees F.

Eventually the rain stopped and the wind became more manageable. Bottom line - managed to zero the iron sights on the Spike's upper with a lot of help from Mike. Popped a few rounds at the swingers and managed to dent one of the blades with the CCI MiniMags (36 gr HPs).

First thing about the Mad Dog magazines - the feed lips are sharp! I'm a slow learner so I got a few cuts on the finger tips. But I'm a learner - tilt the rounds into the feed lips from the front of the mag and slide back with your thumb. Mags functioned well and you can count the remaining rounds through the side plates. Had 10 FTFs and 4-5 FTEs out of 200 rounds today. The FTFs were from either not seating the mag well or riding the bolt after release causing the round to hang up and not chamber. The FTEs were from the rounds that failed to chamber. A couple of hits from pulling the charging handle to the rear and letting fly chambered to round to battery. Firing cleared the stuck round.

Had a couple of doubles - only two rounds fired while holding the trigger back. After the second round fired (still holding the trigger back), the hammer was caught by the disconnector and no other rounds fired. Squeezed off the remaining rounds in the mag to see if I could repeat the double, but everything worked like should. Suspect a real light charge and the hammer didn't rebound enough, didn't engage the disconnector, followed the bolt and fired when the bolt closed. I think this is the hammer/recoil spring problem. Didn't happen when I fired some standard Aguila 40 gr lead rounds so kinda inconclusive at this point. Kinda neat when it happened - just a real short BRRP (only two rounds - I counted the remaining rounds), like a short minigun burst. Both rounds impacted the steel swinger plate at 50 yards.

Which reminds me - no muzzle jump with a standard A-2 bird cage. I think the M-4 profile barrel is heavy enough to keep the muzzle on target during recoil. I was watching the lead splash after hits on the swingers. "A3 flat top with 16" 1x16 twist chrome moly barrel (M4 cut on 16"), M4 handguards, flat top gas block..., birdcage flash hider, Spike's Tactical .22lr bolt and charging handle. **FYI: The legal 16" barrel goes inside the receiver approximately 1.5" so the barrel looks like a true military 14.5" length. The barrel also comes with the end threaded 1/2 x 28." - from Spike's Tactical web site.

The bolt and carrier were a surprise - nicely plated and slick feeling without any lube. Wiped on some CLP with a cleaning pad and that's all the lube I used today. All the carbon wiped off with a cloth after firing. No wax or lead/copper build up that didn't wipe off with some light rubbing.

Spent the rest of the morning popping the swingers, checking POA/POI with the iron sights when the wind wasn't roaring through (gusts to 35 MPH) and generally having fun again. 200 rounds = $14.00 vs 50 rounds of .223 Rem = $30.00+ (slightly less when reloaded). Cheap fun.

Gunfighter

Sorry, no pictures this time - too wet for camera in morning.