• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spike's tactical 22lr upper

NavyshooterM40

CAPT USN (ret)
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
I am having feeding reliability issues with the Spike's 22LR upper. Many of the time the first round will only feed half way in the chamber and sometimes this will happen in the middle of the mag. Shooting the Federal .22LR from Walmart. Any recommendations?

Re: Spike's tactical 22lr upper

You may need to try out a couple other brands of ammo. I have a nordic components upper, and it would do the same thing when I tried Remington bulk pack. It absolutely loves the the Federal Champion .22 ammo.

I have tried the Remington and Winchester bulk packs also and they work less reliably than the Federal

My Spike's upper took 5-6 full mags worth of federal bulk ammo before it would cycle reliably.

- Rob

Do you have a notched hammer on your lower? If you have multiple lowers you may want to try a different lower (if it has a different hammer). From what I have read the most common issue for feeding reliability (if using Black Dog Magazines) is the hammer. BTW mine works fine with a Geissle trigger/hammer and a RRA set.

Pat

Lots of problems reported with various makes of .22LR uppers, not just Spikes. Seems they either run well, or don't run at all reliably. A buddy of mine has a Spikes .22LR upper and had feeding problems since day one. He tried various ammo, various triggers, etc, without finding any solutions. I looked at it for him and saw what looked to me like some QC issues with the coating they put on the bolt carrier and suggested he send it back to Spikes. Spikes does have a good reputation for fixing any problems by the way, although they have stopped making the .22LR uppers due to QC issues and problems with the uppers. Anyway, my buddy struggled with his for over a year, then finally sent it back to Spikes. They replaced the bolt carrier, and ran the heck out of it before sending it back to him. Now his will run most anything he feeds it and he is using a JP trigger.

Best of luck with yours!
cool.gif

What kind off plating issues did you see?

I have cut of the hook on the hammer, polished the bolt face, feed ramp and chamber. Hope to test it out again this coming friday.