• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spike's Tactical Dedicated .22lr upper

beech96w

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Can anyone report in with the accuracy they're acheiving with these?

I'm considering geting one, but concerned with finickyness of ammo, cycling, and tuning to the hammer and recoil springs.

Ideal would be able to slap it on my service rifle lower, and bang away without any tuning. Maybe even use it in the local rimfire silhouette matches. This would require it to cycle with "Std Velocity" ammo. I've heard best results are with mini-mags, etc.

Re: Spike's Tactical Dedicated .22lr upper

they are alot of fun, i ran cci mini mags and aquila high velocity in mine and it ran like a champ

I have used them and built my own. Although mine were short barreled versions. I was able to hit what I was aiming at from 5-100 yards. The 16" version should be accurate enough for most peoples needs.

I run an M4 variant of the ST-22 with BDM mags. Money WELL spent IMO. I run Federal bulk box .22 and have had only one round not go boom. Accuracy is very good, ragged holes at 25 and under are quite possible. Past out to 100 yards 2" plates are still in danger.

I've tried at least seventeen types of 22 ammo in my Spike's ST22. It has a 16" barrel and is the M4 clone upper. The ammo that shots best is CCI Blazer. Nothing else is even close. Don't waste your money on Remington nothing I've tried will work except for some yellow box UMC thats not made now. Winchester Dynapoints and 333's will work. Federal Bulk blue box and Red box works. Federal champion and Gold medal in the red and blue boxes work. CCI stingers and Mini-mags work. American Eagle red box works. I've even shot Aguila CMP ammo and Wolf in it and had it work after twicking the springs a bit. Same with SK jadg match and standard plus. CCI's are hands down the most accurate in mine at 100 yards of all these 22 rounds. Donald

While not really accurate, my dedicated .22LR with a 1.5 X 4.5 30mm Weaver is able to hit a 36" steel plate at 450 yards after walking the hits in. Zero is at 50 yards, 5-round group varies from 1/2 inch to two-inches at 50 yds, depending on the wind speed/direction and how loose the nut behind the trigger is.

I opted for the 16-inch standard barrel, carbine forearm and flip up YHM sights. Tuned it to use Winchester 333 bulk ammo. When I first got it, it would slam fire on me. Original thought was to switch it with my .223 but the tweaking done to the trigger, hammer and bolt stop made me reconsider and turned it into a dedicated .22 LR. Switched out the YHM BUIS with the MI low profile rear sight because the YHM didn't have the clearance for the Larue scope mount. Good sight though.

Shooting this at the range generates a lot of questions and more than a few guys have these because the ammo is cheaper to practice with and its a lot of fun to shoot steel with. Can hit a steel ground squirrel at 75 yards pretty regularly. The real challenge is to hit the full-sized steel targets at 250, 310 and 450 yards.

Mine took a few trips and a lot of thinking/tinkering to get it to where it is today. My shooting buddy's was good the first day but he bought the Walther barrel and went the fully dedicated route up front.

Have fun

Gunfighter

It sounds like a great tool for practicing service rifle highpower if I can get it to work with good ammo without tweaking my lower.

I guess I could get a dedicated lower for it, but at that $ point, I think I'd go buy another nice .22lr bolt gun.

I'd like to see some of these claims of great accuracy. Mine is just so-so. About 2 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards with standard velocity. More like 3-3.5 with federal bulk pack. A friend's suppressor seemed to help a little bit but I only did a little accuracy testing with that.

Mostly use it as a plinker and carbine trainer, wouldn't consider it accurate enough for highpower trainer.

I have the standard M4 barrel on mine, shooting with an EOTech usually. Did a little accuracy testing with a friend's scope when I first got it and the fed bulk pack. 10 shot groups at 50 yards. I hope people aren't basing their accuracy claims on 3 shot groups.

I was having some first round fliers every now and then too, assuming it has to do with how the round is fed from the magazine on that feed ramp.

Mine runs pretty well until it gets dirty, but it's much nicer than that POS GSG-5 I ditched

My Spike's 16" SD upper was very accurate but very picky with ammo. Mine would only run on Fed champion & Aguilla HV yellow box. It hated mini-mags, go figure.

I picked up a colt .22 and it ate everything from Rem thunderbolt to Fed and I was getting about 8" groups at 100yds w/ Irons while standing. I was hitting empty 12g hulls at 25yds left & right.