• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

spikes tactical heavy buffer

r1rn04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
GALAX, VA
Im in process of building yet another ar, trying to pick up the remaining pieces, ( white oak 20" 1-7, young m16 NM cbcg, mega recievers, magpul prs, timney trigger so far )I saw the spikes t2 heavy buffer , was wondering if there is an advantage to this. also to run the carbine buffer you have to run a spacer in the rifle length tube, as this slows the extraction cycle will it increase accuracy?, no real recoil on an ar so that isnt an issue. trying to build this one right and have a good shooter out of the gate.

Re: spikes tactical heavy buffer

While I am a big proponent of the ST-T2 Buffer, I do NOT recommend that you use one on a rifle/A2 buffer tube with a spacer! Use the proper buffer with the proper tube and don't compromise reliability, etc. by monkeying with spacers and other gimmicky BS!

Just run the basic A2 rifle buffer and if your rifle is overgassed, cycles too quickly or otherwise has reliability issues, consider upgrading to an adjustable gas block or to one of Slash's Heavy Buffers which I run in my suppressed rifles/carbines. See here for more details:

http://www.heavybuffers.com/

Good luck with your build!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im in process of building yet another ar, trying to pick up the remaining pieces, ( white oak 20" 1-7, young m16 NM cbcg, mega recievers, magpul prs, timney trigger so far )I saw the spikes t2 heavy buffer , was wondering if there is an advantage to this. also to run the carbine buffer you have to run a spacer in the rifle length tube, as this slows the extraction cycle will it increase accuracy?, no real recoil on an ar so that isnt an issue. trying to build this one right and have a good shooter out of the gate. </div></div>

The Spikes T-2 is a price point buffer. It uses granulated tungsten instead of tungsten slugs. It is not a true heavy buffer. If you are building a rifle, I would recommend using a rifle buffer. There is no advantage to using a using a carbine buffer in a rifle that requires the use of an additional part (spacer) to get the rifle to function properly.

I went through this same thing a while back.

Seems the prevailing wisdom is to just use a rifle buffer.

So +3 to the previous 2 posts.

Did it, works fine.

I agree with the previous comments. Do not use a carbine buffer with a spacer in a rifle buffer tube.

Another option, although more expensive, would be to get VLTOR's A5 system. Very nice compromise between carbine and rifle length. It retains the reliability of rifle length and compactness of carbine length.

Thanks for the input, im gonna stay with the std rifle set up.