• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spikes Tactical teaming up with Adams *UPDATE*

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
That's right!!! Spikes Tactical is teaming up Adams to produce a Piston AR that will rival just about anything out there... Starting price... Around $1500!!! I'm told (by the owner of Spikes) that they'll be available in the Summer!

UPDATE- This is DEFINITELY NOT going to be a "kit-mod". According to Spikes it will be an upper specifically built for a Piston system.

Re: Spikes Tactical teaming up with Adams

They better put there foot on the gas if they want to sell some. AWB is becoming a hot topic these days on Capital Hill...

What they need to do is keep making .22lr and standard AR-15's. Piston uppers are a retarded waste of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What they need to do is keep making .22lr and standard AR-15's. Piston uppers are a retarded waste of money.</div></div> How do you figure? You've obviously never used an M16 or AR15 to the point of failure because of the shitty gas system they use. Not to mention the ability to shorten the overall length of the weapon. I love it when something is judged by someone who doesn't have a clue! These statements are made by those who buy an AR, hang all the "cool" shit from their rail system and shoot maybe 200 rounds between cleanings! Nothing against that... Just don't make stupid statements based on that kind of experience.

after shooting a SCAR im a reborn piston believer, sure those are a little more state of the art than a kit-mod...but still.

I don't know if it's just going to be a kit-mod that Spikes does for you, or if they're actually building a rifle around the Adams system. I'll find out ASAP and let you know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What they need to do is keep making .22lr and standard AR-15's. Piston uppers are a retarded waste of money.</div></div> How do you figure? You've obviously never used an M16 or AR15 to the point of failure because of the shitty gas system they use. Not to mention the ability to shorten the overall length of the weapon. I love it when something is judged by someone who doesn't have a clue! These statements are made by those who buy an AR, hang all the "cool" shit from their rail system and shoot maybe 200 rounds between cleanings! Nothing against that... Just don't make stupid statements based on that kind of experience. </div></div>

I've put over 10k rounds through just one of my AR-15s. I probably clean it about ever 1k rounds. I have 6 AR-15s and 2 AR-10s. I have an AR pistol that runs fine, even though is has a 7.3" bbl. All failures I ever experienced in my ARs have been ammo and magazine related. I've seen a HK 416 shit the bed. I've seen the piston system made by Bushmaster fail and shoot out of the gas block. I just recently saw a CMMG piston system fail because the gasblock walked forward of the gas port due to the inertia of the piston moving.

The piston systems I've tried out made the AR front heavy. The recoil impulse doesn't feel right. It's off center and generates more muzzle rise. AR-15's were designed for impingement, parts like bolt lugs, cam pin hole and buffer tube weren't designed to take the kind of abuse that a piston system will introduce. You've also introduced more parts into the system that will wear and break. A buddy of mine has a bunch of Steyr AUGs, which is a gas piston system, but uses a very similar AR style bolt. He's always busting them. Most other piston driven systems use a beefy two lug bolt for a reason. Also, no one piston system is standardized, so obtaining replacement parts will be difficult in the future.

IMHO, AR pistons are the coolest new "Gucci" gear. They're tits on a pig. If you want a piston system, buy a rifle designed around that system. Otherwise, clean your rifle, use quality ammo and magazines.

If you want an upgrade that really works to reduce carbon buildup in the AR-15, use LMT's enhanced carrier. But ONLY the carrier, don't use their weirdo bolt. The enhanced carrier has different geometry to the Cam pin keyway, which increases dwell time causing to the bolt to unlock after pressures in the chamber have been greatly reduced.

I use one on a midlength 16" upper that would shoot a bit dirty. Now it's the cleanest of all my ARs. Also, the recoil impulse is better and I have very little disturbance to my sight picture.

I figured after I made that post without really knowing who I was dealing with that you were probably an AR Expert. It's just my luck! It was early! I hadn't had any coffee yet! Oh well, My experience with that platform has been a little different in that it was probably under harsher conditions (lots of dirt, dust and sand) and we really never kept a "round count". When your M16 quit working, it got repaired, and most of the time it was gas-system related. My brother was a 2112 in the Corps and can attest to that too.

As a side note. When I was talking to the owner of Spikes they mentioned another manufacturer that their piston gun will be better than and cheaper. I couldn't remember who it was when I originally posted but you helped me out... It was LMT. Of course, take that for what it's worth. They're trying to sell guns!

I should say... Honestly, I don't know if the piston system will be any better. It just seems to be a better way.

The problem here is that you all are still using ARs.... upgrade to a quality AK and get rid of all this AR nonsense!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SN13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem here is that you all are still using ARs.... upgrade to a quality AK and get rid of all this AR nonsense! </div></div>

gtfo3cr.jpg

It's alright. More than anything I don't want other people to be led astray by the whole piston thing. I've had great luck with the AR system. People might think their AR is failing because of a design flaw, when it's just poor build quality, faulty mags or ammo. Then they go out and buy this piston thing and still have failures.

I've helped a ton of new shooters fix their ARs. Most of the time it's a loose/moved gasblock or loose carrier key. A number of them more recently start talking about how maybe they should get a piston conversion... (Marketing works!)

Also, the way the market is, I just want to see more standard parts and rifles being made. This stuff is hard to find. I've converted a lot of people into new shooters. Now that they're interested, it's frustrating that they can't find parts for their builds.

The AR design doesn't seem to handle dirt too well. It doesn't have much clearance for dirt to pass by the carrier. I could also see that introducing dirt into the system would wear out both the carrier key and the Gas tube. If the seal between the two gets too big, function is impeded. Add dirt to the chamber and an already weak extraction will be even weaker.

I'd like to see how this whole piston coversion thing pans out. Time will tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SN13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem here is that you all are still using ARs.... upgrade to a quality AK and get rid of all this AR nonsense!</div></div> HaHaHa... I appreciate where you're coming from. The AK is a very reliable rifle and reasonably accurate... The key word being "reasonably". Generally an AK just can't hang with an AR as far as accuracy. Even with the unreliable gas-system on an AR, I'll score more kills vs rounds fired with an AR than you will with an AK.

MMMMM... I don't know... I think AR's are faster back on-target because of less recoil. They are also more comfortable to shoot (at least to a 6'6" knuckle-head like myself)... and generally more accurate. Don't get me wrong. I like my AK just fine. But I'll stand behind my previous statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What they need to do is keep making .22lr and standard AR-15's. Piston uppers are a retarded waste of money.</div></div> How do you figure? You've obviously never used an M16 or AR15 to the point of failure because of the shitty gas system they use. Not to mention the ability to shorten the overall length of the weapon. I love it when something is judged by someone who doesn't have a clue! These statements are made by those who buy an AR, hang all the "cool" shit from their rail system and shoot maybe 200 rounds between cleanings! Nothing against that... Just don't make stupid statements based on that kind of experience. </div></div>

I've put over 10k rounds through just one of my AR-15s. I probably clean it about ever 1k rounds. I have 6 AR-15s and 2 AR-10s. I have an AR pistol that runs fine, even though is has a 7.3" bbl. All failures I ever experienced in my ARs have been ammo and magazine related. I've seen a HK 416 shit the bed. I've seen the piston system made by Bushmaster fail and shoot out of the gas block. I just recently saw a CMMG piston system fail because the gasblock walked forward of the gas port due to the inertia of the piston moving.

The piston systems I've tried out made the AR front heavy. The recoil impulse doesn't feel right. It's off center and generates more muzzle rise. AR-15's were designed for impingement, parts like bolt lugs, cam pin hole and buffer tube weren't designed to take the kind of abuse that a piston system will introduce. You've also introduced more parts into the system that will wear and break. A buddy of mine has a bunch of Steyr AUGs, which is a gas piston system, but uses a very similar AR style bolt. He's always busting them. Most other piston driven systems use a beefy two lug bolt for a reason. Also, no one piston system is standardized, so obtaining replacement parts will be difficult in the future.

IMHO, AR pistons are the coolest new "Gucci" gear. They're tits on a pig. If you want a piston system, buy a rifle designed around that system. Otherwise, clean your rifle, use quality ammo and magazines.

If you want an upgrade that really works to reduce carbon buildup in the AR-15, use LMT's enhanced carrier. But ONLY the carrier, don't use their weirdo bolt. The enhanced carrier has different geometry to the Cam pin keyway, which increases dwell time causing to the bolt to unlock after pressures in the chamber have been greatly reduced.

I use one on a midlength 16" upper that would shoot a bit dirty. Now it's the cleanest of all my ARs. Also, the recoil impulse is better and I have very little disturbance to my sight picture. </div></div>

I posted a review on my Adams about a week ago. It would short-stroke consistently with my rifle-length system. Probably could have got it working by enlarging the gas port. But, I chose to return it since the rifle gas system works flawlessly.

For Carbine systems & suppressed systems, I think the Piston adds value. For rifle-length systems, there is no problem to fix. If you want a piston, Adams is one of the best for sure.

I can only assume that since the upper is going to be built around the Adams system they'll make sure it works and make whatever modifications needed to ensure that. Remember, this is not just a bolt-on mod.

What I was told was: "It'll be better than the LMT... and less expensive."

Again, take that for what it's worth.