• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Splat factor?

gopherslayer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2008
WI
Those with experience with 22 and 6mm, which gives more splat on vermin and coyotes. Can't decide which to get a barrel for. I have a 9twist 223 and 22-250 already but thinking to pick up a 6mm.

Looking forward to the responses. Please give velocities and bullet weights.

Re: Splat factor?

Each round counting as a lethal hit, dead is dead, etc.

Can't fully wrap my brain around the need some have for getting off on "splat", though Goo Flingin' gets interesting, occasionally.

Light/fast/frangible should give you enough of a woody......

I know you are looking to pick up the 6mm... and i may be extremely late on this, but i believe black hills manufactures some ammo using the barnes "varmint Grenade" bullet. I know it comes in the .223 caliber, i believe it also comes in 22-250. Considering the muzzle velocity potential of a 22-250... i could easily see pretty big potential using this combo. Especially if you handload.
just my .02

heres a video for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYigC49tnh8

Both will do exactly what you want them to do. Both have awsome range when used properly. and when set up correctly, with proper varmint specific bullets, can make a good splatter out of some tiny critters. Cost of ammo would be my biggest concern, and if that's not a problem then you really are in a win/win situation.

When you factor in the possibility of wind though, the 6mm's outshine the 22 calibers. I'd personally go with a 223AI(#1 choice) or a 243AI(#2 choice) and be done with it. Another thing to consider is that i get the feeling your just threading up a new barrel for an existing rifle, if that's the case then take into consideration what boltface you currently have.

I do have to admit though, my 300WSM with 110grn Hornady V-max's loaded at ~3700FPS sure does a number on the yotes...

I was going to suggest the 300WSM for getting max splat on yotes. Either of your choices will be explosive on small targets.

I'm not convinced that "splat-value or factor" is a measurable & commonly used in the estimation of efficiency of a bullet or caliber.
None the less,as been mentioned:
Rule of thumb would be: Use a caliber way too big, with bullets a tad too light & a pinch too much powder. Now find something too small & let-rip!!!
The scientific equation “Joy/$” would probably leave a .243 with a v-Max as a top contender. But be careful! If you accidentally use a proper weight bullets, you’ll have a very useful hunting rifle that can reach out far & still drop medium sized game.
Now print this out & use a thumbtack to attach it to your door as a reminder.
PS. Thumbtacks work better when driven into the pin-board with a 4lb hammer.

Just joking, hope I’m not offending you or any other ‘hiders.

I agree that "splat factor" is quite tough to measure ... way too many variables to factor in.

But ... shooting prairie dogs with a 22-250 produces some serious "splat". Having said that, the loudest splat I ever heard was a groundhog shot with a hot .357 magnum out of a 24" barrel at 80 yards.

Some serious damage can be dealt w/ both hot and fast .22s as well as heavy, slow moving .30 somethings ... bring enough gun for the task at hand and everything else is excess.

I think speed and expansion are what you are in need of. In my opinion, a 22 250 AI with 55g ballistic tips going 4k. Barrel life is pretty much balls though

dont have a 22-250 but i have a swift and use hornady 55gr ballistic tips ,im sure you can get something quite similar for the 22-250, they make an audible whack noise when they impact, esspecially headshots!..
9gatch.jpg
106y53p.jpg

Open up and say ahhhhh!!!

Well if I went with a new barrel in 22 cal I would consider 22-204, but a 243 would be nice to have in the house again. I wrote off the 243 for deer when I used my 260 and got spectacular performance. With the new Barnes and new powders the 243 is looking pretty good these days for deer.

Guess I'll keep searching the archives on here and make a decision based on what I find.

Thanks guys.

i would love to see a pic of that...what about thump factor? when you see the whole thing shake like jello and then you hear that THUMP!

I wsh I tok a picture, but oncetook the headof a Blesbuck clean off with a 87gr V-Max(.243). he was facing directly away fro me & I took him on the atlas & axis. Granted was cleanigup & it was a young animal (at +/ 50m), but it was prety cool.
Once te spinal cord went, the fragments and energy tore the skin & the head dropped next to the animal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

I do have to admit though, my 300WSM with 110grn Hornady V-max's loaded at ~3700FPS sure does a number on the yotes... </div></div>

That would be something worth watching!

Im suprised those 110's dont explode mid air after leaving the barrel

.223,55 gr. V-Max @ 3400 FPS,1-8 twist barrel. Range: 90 yards.I think the fast twist makes the bullets come apart better.
Is this enough splat for you? We call it the donut squirrel.

vmaxpower0xb.jpg

My hunting partner swears by his .243 factory barrel, 70 gr. Ballistic Tips @ 3600 fps.Sorry, no pics.