• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Split second between life and death (Motorcycles)

RaptorFuel

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2008
The Red Power Ranger (RPR) tried to kill me last weekend. Germany, Sunday, mid-day and sunny. It was about 74.2F according to the bike. I’m on a nice easy ride down some twisty roads, keeping the speed at a reasonable level for once.

Coming up on a blind left turn, my bike in the right tire track of my lane. A sport bike comes blasting around the corner, in the other direction, leaned way over. RPR hit the apex way too early and couldn’t keep it in his lane. I saw him coming in hot and make a move to the right to give him as much room as I can. If he kept turning like he was he would have only came into my lane a little and all would have been fine. He must have seen me when he crossed into my lane because he panicked and stood the bike up!

We are on an intercept course at warp speed. I lean left hard and brake (who says you can’t brake and turn?). It’s still not enough. I tuck my right elbow in and try to climb over to the left side of the bike as far as I can in the split second I have. Blast of wind and the wail of a rocket at high RPM on my right.
Holy crap! Made it! Coming to a stop and looking in my mirror expecting to see a flash of red disappear in to the woods. I see the RPR going around the next turn. Somehow he managed to stay on the pavement!

I pulled off the road at a view turn off. Sat on a park bench and enjoyed the view for a while. I imagine RPR was doing the same thing right about then.

Split second between life and death (Motorcycles)

They're called 'Donorcycles'!!
This appears to have been a skills issue by another motorcycle rider, not lack of protection against a car.

Not having seen that corner I can still say that if the other rider could stand the bike up and still make the turn he was not even close to the entry speed limit for the corner.

Last edited:
This appears to have been a skills issue by another motorcycle rider, not lack of protection against a car.

Not having seen that corner I can still say that if the other rider could stand the bike up and still make the turn he was not even close to the entry speed limit for the corner.

To clarify a little. RPR had gone mostly around the turn and was in my lane when he stood it up. If he had kept leaned over he would have just gone back into his lane and it wouldn't have been as close. But he froze when he saw me coming at him head on.

Time for RPR to read a few Keith Code books. Glad you made it safely!

He stood it up because you came into his field of view, and his eyes locked onto you. Motorcycles... you go where YOU look. Every time, all the time... once you took action and barely missed, he was able to focus and get it back....

I have seen that happen so many times, I can't count, especially amongst the beginners with enough skills to be dangerous, they go into a turn hot, come up on a vehicle and lock eyes.... and drive straight for danger...

Glad you made it through!

He stood it up because you came into his field of view, and his eyes locked onto you. Motorcycles... you go where YOU look. Every time, all the time... once you took action and barely missed, he was able to focus and get it back....

I have seen that happen so many times, I can't count, especially amongst the beginners with enough skills to be dangerous, they go into a turn hot, come up on a vehicle and lock eyes.... and drive straight for danger...

Glad you made it through!

Good ol' target fixation!