• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sporter Weight Barrel Accuracy

Harronek

Never stop learning
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2021
Australia
I’ve got a couple of .223 bolt rifles ( Howa and Tikka) with Sporter weight barrels.
I’ve developed good loads for both and will continue to experiment to see if I can improve on them .
What is good accuracy out of a cheap factory .223 bolt rifle with a Sporter weight barrel compared to the heavier Varmint models ?
At the moment I have my Sporter’s averaging approximately 3/4 inch at 100 yards , 3 shot groups .
How much improvement does a heavier barrel in a factory rifle give you in regards to group size ?

A heavier barrel gives you no more accuracy at all. What it does give you is more heat resistance for prolonged strings of shooting. 5 shot groups instead of 3. That’s where the sporter barrels lose it.

I’ve never owned a Howa but every T3 Lite I’ve loaded for shoots .5 moa or better. Every rifle is not capable of that but the Tikkas are. At least the sample of 6 Lites, 1 Hunter, and 3 CTRs have been.