• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sporterized smle

packratt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2005
VA
Some time ago I picked up a nice sporterized BSA 1 mk3*. Mainly because it resembled one of the Parker-Hale conversions and it was dirt cheap. Put it away to dig into later. Turns out it is a Churchill Gunmakers conversion.

Some idiot has mounted a BSA Sweet17 scope on it. I'm not familiar with the base and would like to put a better scope and rings on the rifle.

20230809_203415.jpg

Any suggestions. I'll probably put a semi vintage scope like a Redfield or Leopold mk3 on it.

Reactions: Modoc
The #1 actions flex like a sonofabitch, and scopes have a hard time staying zeroed.

There must have been thousands of cut down Smellies used in NZ up to the 70's, when better stuff became readily available. They wore a lot of Pecar, Nickel, Kahles and steel Weaver scopes. I had one for years with a 3x Weaver on that shot a metric shitload of deer, but I always wanted something less clunky.

303 is a stone cold killer of a round though, very little is ever going to walk away from a half decent hit.

I'm trying to I'd the rings. I halfway think it's a rimfire base cause it doesn't look like a weaver style, no knotches

After looking at a weaver for smle on midways site it might be a weaver base.