• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Sports stories...

Kir

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Sparks, NV
After the 1958 season, Don Zimmer of the L.A. Dodgers went to spring training and said that in the off season he had played softball and batted .600! He said during the upcoming season he hoped to bat at least 1/3 that. In 1959 Maury Wills took over at SS and he was the spark plug that led the Dodgers to their first championship in L.A.

Satchel Paige claimed he was the best pitcher in baseball. One day he was called in from the bullpen where he picked up an extra baseball. With runners on first and third he quickly got two strikes on the batter. On the next pitch he threw out the runner at first and the runner at third (using the extra ball). He said that his motion was so smooth that the batter swung at a non-existent ball and the umpire called him out!

Rocky Colavito used to drink, a lot and Rocky Bridges, a coach used to play practical jokes on everyone. One day in spring training, Colavito came in sweating like a horse. He took off his jersey and threw it on the bench then walked to the far end of the dugout to get a drink of water. Bridges poured a bottle of booze on Colavito's jersey and told him he was drinking too much and was literally sweating alcohol. To prove it, Bridges lit a match and tossed it on Colavito's jersey, which immediately went up in flames, much to the horror of Colavito!

:cool:

Not a sports story, but a genuine sports question for ya'll...

It is indirectly related to Pat Summerall... I was watching an old Super Bowl game and John Madden commenting with Pat Summerall about a Cincinnati coach named "Dick Mojeleski". I didn't know the correct spelling for the last name.

Madden (referring to Dick M.) said something like, "was he 'Little Mo' or 'Big Mo' ?"
and Summerall said, "he was 'Little Mo' ". There was Big Mo, Little Mo, No Mo and Dyna Mo".

My Google-fu was good enough for this much--I found the correct spelling--'Modzelewski', and that Big Mo was his brother, Ed, and No Mo was his brother, Gene. But I can't find a listing for Dyna Mo.

Can one of you guys who remembers Pat Summerall's playing days me clue me in? Who was the 'DynaMo' Madden and Summerall talkin' about? That my Google-fu is too weak to root out "Dyna Mo" is drivin' me nuts.

Thank you.