• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sportsmans warehouse now does gunsmithing

6.5creedmoor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Has anyone on here given them a try yet. Saw not that long ago they are offering gunsmithing services and building custom rifles for customers for a decent price. Wondering if they are any good or just a complete waste of money.

That's what I'm thinking too but idk they have there custom shop in Utah and say there smiths are from well know gunsmithing schools

So ask what schools, ask to speak to one of their gunsmiths about a gun you are thinking of having them build. If you are told that you can't talk to one of the gunsmiths...run!

Forget about it , there's way to many legit gunsmiths available than to go to Sportsmans Warehouse and expect anything less than butchery .

Wasnt planning on going there just wanted to see if anybody here has and what there experience was with them. I mostly run barrel nut type barrels.

Got's to wonder if the smiths are actually employed by Sportsmens or Sportsmens is just sending the gun out to a smith somewhere, acting as a middleman and adding a percentage to the total cost of the work.

Last edited:
^^^this is what I would hope they are doing. They have a hard enough time moving stock from the back to the shelves. I shudder at the thought of them running a machine shop.

Waited at mine in tucson for about 45 to look at a scope I want to look at just cause they had it in stock and they just ignored me till I jokingly said after getting fed up and walking by them too bad I couldnt get any help I really wanted to buy that nightforce atacr and all of a sudden I was worth there time.

Waited at mine in tucson for about 45 to look at a scope I want to look at just cause they had it in stock and they just ignored me till I jokingly said after getting fed up and walking by them too bad I couldnt get any help I really wanted to buy that nightforce atacr and all of a sudden I was worth there time.

And then keep on walking...right out the door!

I doubt I'd rush to have a rifle built by SW, but a lot of small time smiths put out some great rifles.
Look at a equipment-component list of a national BR competition, a fair majority of those guys chamber their own rifles and most of us have never heard of them.

Most gun smiths are idiots, anyone who works in big retail is going to be an idiot. Good smiths are rare and worth their weight in gold. Because a good smith is part machinist part engineer part woodworker part artist and part businessman.

I sold guns at a big box stores part time and not a a soul in the place knew how to properly mount a scope much less bed a rail or anything else mundane. I spent most of my shift setting up guns instead of selling them, which was fine with me. But the last place you want doing anything other thank taking your gun out of a box, is a big box store.

Reactions: alwaywatchyoursix
Kinda late to the discussion but gunsmiths are few and far between in my area, and there is a Sportsman's so I asked them about this a few months back. So I finally have something to contribute!

The "gunsmith" they use is in Utah or Nevada or somewhere. All "gunsmithing" that you ask them to do is done there, so you drop off your firearm at your local store and they ship it to their gunsmith.

AND...

They only offer it for firearms you've purchased from them. No guns from anywhere else, at all.

Lots of doctors go to top notch schools, but they are still bad doctors.

Think about it.
It's like the joke about good and bad doctors.

What do you call the person who graduated top of their med school class? Doctor.

What do you call the person who graduated last in their med school class? Doctor.