• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Spot hardening camming surface after bolt sleeve?

jrm850

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2012
Florida
Hi all,
I'm new here but have a good bit of experience building rifles. I've taken the last decade or so off from smithing but I'm getting the bug again and happened across this amazing forum. A lot has changed over the years... especially the optics!

I'm reworking an old 6br that I built on an xp100 action and plan on putting a full sleeve on the bolt instead of the split unit it wears now. I have two questions I'm hoping some of you answer to bring me up to speed on the latest and greatest methods:
1. Is anyone worrying about spot hardening the cocking cam surface after removing the original bolt or do you just leave it soft?

2. Is anyone selling sleeve stock or is everyone making their own?

Thanks in advance. I searched this forum but couldn't find much dialog about the issue.

Re: Spot hardening camming surface after bolt sleeve?

Man, you are going old school.
smile.gif
Now days you can just call PT&G and order a bolt body whatever size you want.

This site is more geared towards tactical rifles with more generous bolt clearance so, you don't hear of many sleeving bolts on this forum.

Oh Lord
smile.gif
I just made the assumption that they wouldn't have one for something as obscure as an xp but there it is, plain as day on the website. Thanks for the tip. I'll order the one piece unit.

My interest was always hp/tactical but there wasn't enough of it in my neck of the woods to make it work. Now that it is a hobby instead of a job I'm going to build something that interests me. I figured it would be wise for me to re-familiarize myself on something before I ended up with a $3k tactical boat paddle. This old Bench gun never really shot that well anyway so I thought it would be a good one to warm up on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, you are going old school.
smile.gif
Now days you can just call PT&G and order a bolt body whatever size you want.

This site is more geared towards tactical rifles with more generous bolt clearance so, you don't hear of many sleeving bolts on this forum.</div></div>

Welcome to the Hide and good luck with your project. There are some very sharp people on this site.
smile.gif

Regards, Paul