• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Spot Lighting Yotes

swarrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
Commiefornia (Ridgcrest)
I am NOT starting this thread to get into weather or not it is legal or your style of hunting.... It is legal here fun and I have some questions.

We go out in an open top Jeep after dark and spot while slowly creeping down desert trails, when we spot one we get out and find a rest to shoot from and take the shot. I have been out twice in the last week with my neighbor with no real luck. We have seen three in those last two trip and only got a shot at one that I fucked away, I thought it was 190-210 yards it turned out to be a touch over 350. I am using my SPS in 308 with 110gr V-max's.

I know there are a quite few on here that hunt yotes this way, this is my question to ya'll. What are we doing wrong, What are we doing right and, What can we do better? Is there better ways to spot them and what kind of terrain should I look for? Also What spot light do you recommend, I have been looking at the 130Watt handhelds that range from 3 million to 15 million candle power.

Re: Spot Lighting Yotes

talk to senderoman about the lighting he uses, it is what I use and I have never had an issue with it.
Isaac

I am no expert, but I would go to a spot that looks "doggy" and sit in the brush and call them in. We call them like that in Oregon (can't use the light up there) and sometimes they get so close you can use the shotgun.
I think you will see more dogs, than cruising.
Cruising I see a lot more jack rabbits than anything else. We drop a lot of those in the dark under headlights down on a ranch in Texas.
Are you down on the flats east of China Lake, and have you tried above Gill Station (North of Pearsonville, on 395) and northeast of there?
Good luck.

Hankpac- I have been going out to the Elpaso's south of town. I need to go out and check out the area east of town maybe around the backside of base, it is no mans land back that way.

I think if you are seeing them you are in the right area. You should try calling and then turn on the light. Keep the light high and do not shine it directly on the dogs. They won’t spook as much if you keep the light high and just light up their eyes. I believe you will see a lot more coyotes if you incorporate calling in to your night time hunting. Drive to an area that you are seeing them shut off rig for a while, wait and then start calling. Stay there for 15 to30 Minutes and then move to another area. Judging yardage at night is real hard. You can get them close enough this way that you do not have to worry about it. Just aim and shoot.

I think it depends on how much area you are able to hunt and what the conditions are outside. When the weather is changing and especially when fronts come in, I always see more coyotes cruising. They're always up on the move when fronts are coming in. I have lots of places that I can cruise and hunt on, so I do a lot of cruising. If people hunt them or not is another thing that will influence how you have to hunt them. If coyotes aren't spotlighted much, they'll take it slow and not spook too quickly. If they've been spotlighted a bunch, you'll barely have time to get out the rifle out the window or on the hood before they're gonna start to move. If you don't have as much land to hunt, or know there's some that stick around a particular area you should definitely call them and then spotlight. I usually try to use a 200-300 yard zero when I hunt coyotes at night. I hold center of body and send it, since there's not much time and it's not that easy to judge yardage at night. If you have an area that becomes a favorite or a spot that you like to call at, range some things during the day so that you can recognize kind of close to the distance that they're at. Around this area, alot of the time if they're much past 350 yards or so, they won't really look at the light too much, and so you don't usually see them out that far unless you've already shot at them and they stopped to see what's going on. So usually a 200 yard zero works fine for me and hold center of body. I suppose that being able to see their eyes at distance will also depend on what type of light you're using. I stick with a 3 million candle power light, and have never had problems seeing coyotes eyes, or bodies when looking through the scope. If you have a bigger light, you'd get more range, obviously. If you're calling, you may also consider a red filter. Sometimes if coyotes haven't quite come out or very close yet, and you make a sweep with the light; if they've been hunted that way before, they're GONE. If you have the red filter, they can't see the light, and it's a bit more difficult to see their eyes, but you can definitely still see the coyotes. Just another trick that you may want to add to your light setup. I can't think of any other specifics, but I'm in a bit of a hurry, so maybe that'll be a decent bit.

Please be sure of what you are shooting at. A guy on another web site "claimed" that he could tell wheather it was a coyote or a cow just from the reflection of the eyes. I'll leave to your imagination just how full of it I think he is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please be sure of what you are shooting at. A guy on another web site "claimed" that he could tell wheather it was a coyote or a cow just from the reflection of the eyes. I'll leave to your imagination just how full of it I think he is. </div></div>

I'm gonna say this about your comment. I can also in fact tell if I'm looking at a cow or coyote by the color, shape, and distance between the eyes in the light. This is not to say that I don't look at the rest of the body before I shoot, but I can usually tell almost instantly whether it's a cow or a coyote. I use the same spotlight all the time, and cows usually look right into the spot light and don't look away as quickly. So you get a pretty good view of what color their eyes are. Either way, I don't just shoot without knowing what the target is, but I can tell if it's a cow or not as well. We don't have many foxes out here, but I can tell instantly when I see a fox from a coyote. The eyes are so close together they almost look like 1, and they're WHITE WHITE, like a light shining back at you. I wouldn't be offended if you call BS on that, but that's the truth. I guess if you do it enough and check enough cattle at night, you can get a pretty good idea at some of the differences.

I got you covered baby!

Here's the secret; What you have to do is trap a couple of live Jack Rabbits. Take them out to your spot, and get your "Hide" set-up. Once your dug in, and the trip wire to the claymores are set, this is what you do.

Pull down your pants, no, no, no, that's how I start-out, never-mind. What You want to do is just grab Bugs by the ears and shove your finger in its ass. That rabbit will do one of two things. A: It will let out a cry that will have Song Dogs running too ya from as far as Texas......or.....B: It will wink at you and start to purr. This is the reason I always bring 2 with me.

Always tryin to help a brotha out,

-Pat

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA your funny MotherFu I mean Rabbit poker!!!!! Hey I am in Cali they are probably both going to enjoy the finger hell they will more than likely ask for two fingers. Good Luck "He Shoot Me" if you ever make it down here look me up and you can demonstrate your tactics. HAHAHAHAHA

Very hard with two guys better with three. Shooter, driver, and spotter (light holder). Do not use white light or use it just before you take the shot. Trying to spot with white light is next to impossible. Use red to spot then white to take the shot.

While driving use an electronic varmint call to get them to come. Scan both sides of the road until you see eyes. With the red lens they will stand out like reflectors. Shut down the vehicle and call. Get them to come closer with a hand call. Just before the shot have the spotter switch to white light and take the shot.

Use to call like this for years. Now I just find a friendly farmer and circle his field and spot with white light. A coyotes sitting out in the middle of an alfalfa field in white light is a sitting duck with no where to hide, and no calling needed.

If you have any other question give me a call.

I use this set-up all the time. Red light on my rifle. Spot with a red light. Spotter will switch to white light just before I shoot.

Light is made by Lightforce.

Note: And yes to those who don't think you can, if you have done it long enough you can tell just from the eyes what you are looking at. How far apart the eyes are, how bright they are, how far off the ground they are, will help determine just what you are looking at. So yes you can tell and that's not bullshit. So if you think you can't you haven't done it before.

Also in the area you are hunting is also home to the kit fox. A protected animal in these parts.

NF2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgerat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">talk to senderoman about the lighting he uses, it is what I use and I have never had an issue with it.
Isaac </div></div>

ah... shucks... little 'ol me ??
blush.gif

<span style="color: #3366FF">PS HateCA when do I get one of those fancy setups for my lightforce ?? LOL</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgerat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">talk to senderoman about the lighting he uses, it is what I use and I have never had an issue with it.
Isaac </div></div>

ah... shucks... little 'ol me ??
blush.gif

<span style="color: #3366FF">PS HateCA when do I get one of those fancy setups for my lightforce ?? LOL</span> </div></div>

I'm working on it. My CNC guy is backed up.
wink.gif

Thanks for the heads up Randy, I will get my wife to go with us next time. She is a good shot, likes being in the desert and will hold the light just fine.

Swarrick,

You are exactly correct, shining with a light is perfectly legal here in California. In the 12volt areas unfortunately shining from a moving vehicle is not. The truck must be stopped and the shooter must be on the ground and not attached to the vehicle in anyway. However the light can be run from the truck. It's a ridiculous law but that's the way it is. You also can't have any light attached to the rifle.

In the 9v or less zones (remainder of the state) the shooter and lighter have to be away from the truck. Could be just a foot or two but neither can be attached to the truck.

You will be much better off, stopping the truck in a likely spot and calling for 10-15 minutes. Start shining the light prior to starting the calling to see if anything is already out there and keep the light swinging the entire time. Do not shut it off. When you have eyes in the light, do not take the light off of them or they will most likely be able to see the truck and everything else that the light illuminates. Keep the light above them until you are ready to shoot, meaning keep them in the halo but don't burn them with the light. Also don't keep the light on the ground because it lights up the area around them and they do not like unnatural shadows.

The reason you are having issues with the coyotes as it is, is because they are already hearing the jeep, seeing the jeep and seeing what the light has lit up prior to seeing their eyes.

Good luck,

Tim
L&M Outdoors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the heads up Randy, I will get my wife to go with us next time. She is a good shot, likes being in the desert and will hold the light just fine. </div></div>

I think I might know a guy if your looking for a third.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgerat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">talk to senderoman about the lighting he uses, it is what I use and I have never had an issue with it.
Isaac </div></div>

+1 about Senderoman. Just got back from Bruni, Texas and still unloading so I took the opportunity to show the Lightforce rig Senderoman hooked me up with. The system works great. I have the rifle on the tripod on the bed of the truck and hunt from it or on a bipod and shoot over the cab. Did not get a shot though...
i6gs4x.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: soreloser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swarrick,

You are exactly correct, shining with a light is perfectly legal here in California. In the 12volt areas unfortunately shining from a moving vehicle is not. The truck must be stopped and the shooter must be on the ground and not attached to the vehicle in anyway. However the light can be run from the truck. It's a ridiculous law but that's the way it is. You also can't have any light attached to the rifle.

In the 9v or less zones (remainder of the state) the shooter and lighter have to be away from the truck. Could be just a foot or two but neither can be attached to the truck.

You will be much better off, stopping the truck in a likely spot and calling for 10-15 minutes. Start shining the light prior to starting the calling to see if anything is already out there and keep the light swinging the entire time. Do not shut it off. When you have eyes in the light, do not take the light off of them or they will most likely be able to see the truck and everything else that the light illuminates. Keep the light above them until you are ready to shoot, meaning keep them in the halo but don't burn them with the light. Also don't keep the light on the ground because it lights up the area around them and they do not like unnatural shadows.

The reason you are having issues with the coyotes as it is, is because they are already hearing the jeep, seeing the jeep and seeing what the light has lit up prior to seeing their eyes.

Good luck,

Tim
L&M Outdoors </div></div>

Don't just pass over this info here guys. Soreloser has killed more coyotes than smallpox have man. The man knows how to call coyotes.

Chupa

I am NOT over looking this info. I am rereading the regs as I was unaware of this. I was told by a BLM officer that it was legal, which I know does not mean crap. If I get popped for illegaly spot lighting, sighting a BLM officer as my reference WILL NOT get me out of trouble, so YES I am taking heed to the info above.

I was really referring more to the "How to" than the regs as I live in Texas and not California and know nothing of the regs there.

Chupa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgerat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">talk to senderoman about the lighting he uses, it is what I use and I have never had an issue with it.
Isaac </div></div>

+1 about Senderoman. Just got back from Bruni, Texas and still unloading so I took the opportunity to show the Lightforce rig Senderoman hooked me up with. The system works great. I have the rifle on the tripod on the bed of the truck and hunt from it or on a bipod and shoot over the cab. Did not get a shot though...
i6gs4x.jpg

</div></div>

Looks Good !!
cool.gif