• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spots on lens next to reticle

petersquatch

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2023
Utah
I picked up a Leopold VX-5HD, and I took it out for the second time this morning. After the day was done, I noticed something new. When I zoomed out, I noticed spots in the sight picture. I figured I'd clean the objective lens, and it'd be all good. Of course, it couldn't be that simple. After further investigation, it appears the spots are on the same plane in the scope as the reticle. The spots we're not there before shooting, and are only visible in the 3x-~5.5x out of 15 powers. There are a total of 7 spots, I could only really get a picture of 2.
My question here is do I need to send this in for warranty replacement? Or is it something that will go away?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231007_212905_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231007_212905_Gallery.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20231007_212923_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231007_212923_Gallery.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 45
My guess is grease spatters from the erector mechanism, so probably won't go away. S&B had a few with this problem when they tried to switch to a lighter-weight grease for better performance in sub-zero temps. In warmer temps it is too thin and will splatter when the turret is cranked. I was "lucky" enough to get one. It's only visible in the lower magnifications (under 10-12x on a 5-25 PMII). Since I'm usually above that it doesn't bother me. But the barrel on that rifle has a high round count and when it comes time to re-barrel I'll send it back for them to fix it under warranty.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll send it back in. Thank goodness I don't need this rifle for a hunt this year
Well, even if you did, you could hunt with it as-is and send it in after the season. It's not really affecting anything other than being annoying.

Well, even if you did, you could hunt with it as-is and send it in after the season. It's not really affecting anything other than being annoying.
If that were the case, absolutely. I have a muzzleloader hunt, and this particular scope is on a rifle so I'm all good