• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotter, angled or straight?

Re: Spotter, angled or straight?

Personal choice really. I prefer angled for the following reasons:
1. Allows for lower tripod height and then is at a level were people of different heights can look through it without adjustment.

2. With a rotating collar, I can adjust it on a window mount in my truck for the most comfortable viewing. With a straight you have to get right behind it.

3. When at the range, I can set it up, rotate the ocular to my liking and shoot/spot from the same position.

Either model is good, you just have to try both to see what agrees with you. Really no right answer.

I prefer straight . I have owned both angled and straight . For me it took way too long to find the target with an angled spotting scope . A straight spotter is more like getting on target with a regular ( rifle ) scope . Some may be able to use the angled scopes but for field shooting or quicker target pick up I know the straight spotter works much better for me. I have to admit that an angled spotter is usually easier on the neck especially from prone .

david

I prefer straight for tactical shooting.

It's easier to use as a spotter from the prone. I also prefer straight for spotting from the bench. If the shooter is going to be using the scope, angled can work better since you will generally have a rifle directly in front of you.

Reactions: MilDot1960

Straight

Got used to using straight, as it was my first one. I am considering upgrading the optic and was wondering the same thing. So I went through the "mental/visual" exercise every time I set up "what would it be like with an angled eyepiece". I use my optic for range use as both a shooter and spotter (pistol & rifle) and hunting.

It got down to I like being "behind the scope" and will stay with the strainght eyepiece.

Kevin

Reactions: Ontarget10

definitely angled - much easier to use from virtually every position

My personal preference is straight, faster for me to get on target, looking in same direction.

I have had both, personally prefer straight, but both have their advantages. Currently have a zeiss diascope 85 straight and could not be more satisfied.

Merlinn

There are things I like and don't like about both. I don't care for having to hang my head for the angled. Have been using a a straight the last few times shooting and am starting to really like that. It's nice being able to hold your head upright.

I vote for angled. The scope I have is straight but using it has been more difficult each year as my neck is getting older! I just ordered an angled 20-60x 80mm with a phone camera adapter, case and tripod. The case and tripod were part of a package deal. I'll let you all know how it checks out.

Straight. Easier for to get on target and much more comfortable for me.

I like the straight one in the prone or when I'm shooting.

But I prefer the angled one if I'm standing on the line all day behind a shooter.

For field use I prefer straight. For being seated on the firing line, angled. I have both, I use both.

Angled if I am shooting alone and want to set it up by me on the bench.
Straight if I am spotting from a tripod for someone else.

Reactions: generalzip
Angled if you want to be using it in prone position; with the correct stand you can set the spotter usable with your non-shooting eye while in position and looking thru the riflescope. Playing with the focus on the spotter lets you see more mirage than the riflescope itself.

Blonde or Brunette. Chevy or Ford.

Personal preference, however, I can say that we sell 3 angled for every 1 straight

Doug,
Thanks a bunch, I just received the Meopta MeoPro 80HD kit you guys helped me acquire. I didn't have much time to play with it before watching the Denver Donkeys' get their collective Jack Asses kicked by the Chiefs. This I can tell you, the glass is extremely clear and the benefit of being able to focus in under twenty feet lets me count the flees on the back of the local squirrel. I hope to get it out to the range next week to see how far I can see 6mm bullet holes on paper and hits on steel. The tripod, although not tactical, is way more substantial than I had expected. I already know I like the many features for which I chose this scope, one of which is the angled eyepiece. After I get a chance to use it, I'll do a review on the Hide.

Maybe 3 out of 4 people are smart enough to figure out how to use angled scopes on living targets.

308Pirate, you should have also told them that if you're pinned down behind a wall or in a hole, the angled eyepiece can be canted downward to help keep that cranium a little lower or with a phone camera adapter, completely out of sight.

Angled in all but one scenario - glassing at a downhill angle. I don't find myself doing that enough to warrant straight though.

Depends on the application. Angled for self spotting, straight for buddy spotting.

Reactions: generalzip
Angled for most things, including hunting, truck window straight. Have both use both

Angle because it is easier on my neck from both prone, and bench. Ideally, I like spotting scopes that I can screw either a straight, or angled eyepiece onto, but then I always wonder about weather proofing.

I’m one of the ones who is too stupid to quickly acquire moving targets looking at some odd angle. It’s like aiming a rifle at one point to hit another.

Square range angled is likely better for most.

I’m just a straight guy and prefer it that way.?

A Straight Spotter is better for use in all positions and better for Aiming or following Targets, While an angled spotter is great and easy on the neck for uphill or star gazing they are a pain in the A$$ when looking down at steep angles and useless for following fast moving Targets, And in a Tactical situation will most likely get you shot from sticking your head up too high, As looking down to see something forward is not a natural position or a natural thing to do as far as being humans with our eyes in the front of our heads, They are Great for fish, birds hammerhead sharks and lizards but not humans, lol.

Reactions: SporterII
A Straight Spotter is better for use in all positions and better for Aiming or following Targets, While an angled spotter is great and easy on the neck for uphill or star gazing they are a pain in the A$$ when looking down at steep angles and useless for following fast moving Targets, And in a Tactical situation will most likely get you shot from sticking your head up too high, As looking down to see something forward is not a natural position or a natural thing to do as far as being humans with our eyes in the front of our heads, They are Great for fish, birds hammerhead sharks and lizards but not humans, lol.

Better for all positions? How about prone with a sling?

Reactions: BOLTRIPPER
Works fine is different than better.
Absolutely, I guess because I started with a straight scope I sort of worked with it for so long I moulded my routine around it being straight, I bought an Angled spotter 3 or 4 years ago and I just can't get on with it, still got to this day but I prefer my old camo Tasco or my Leupold GR HD, To me it's a bit like drifting or Rally driving, Sliding the car sideways to go forward just does not Gel although it works very well, some things in this world take some practice aye.

Personal choice really. I prefer angled for the following reasons:
1. Allows for lower tripod height and then is at a level were people of different heights can look through it without adjustment.

2. With a rotating collar, I can adjust it on a window mount in my truck for the most comfortable viewing. With a straight you have to get right behind it.

3. When at the range, I can set it up, rotate the ocular to my liking and shoot/spot from the same position.

Either model is good, you just have to try both to see what agrees with you. Really no right answer.
My thoughts exactly, I have both and love my angled Vortex Razor!

Only way to know is to try both and see what you like. I prefer straight for most situations, but there are times when angled would be nice. You'll always find a situation where you wish you had one or the other.

Reactions: Mooncake
Angled here but would like to have both.
Just a note if you are using a phone adapter with a samsung phone , the side sync app will pair your phone to a samsung tablet and you will have full control of the phone camera .
Don't know if other brand have this or not.

All, thanks for sharing your thoughts as my next big purchase will be a spotting scope. Have the Swarovski SLC 56 binos and would like a good spotting scope to go with it.