• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotter: Angled vs Straight

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
Hey folks,
My current spotter is a straight version that I have had no problem with. I recently had a chance to use an angled spotter after using mine and I found it to be much easier than the straight. Most of my use is seated/standing with some prone. Lets say less than 40% prone.

Got a hint as to my Christmas present so I wont have time to spend hours with the angled so your input is appreciated.

Last thing..... Need to give my wife a hint as to what spotter to get in the sub $2k range and I am looking in 80 mm objective with 20-60/70 magnification range. If I go a smidge above my $2k budget do I get a big jump in performance? Been looking at the Meoptas, Vortex, etc

Thanks.

I like an angled if I am using it between shots. You can set it up so you can turn your head and look through it.

For just spotting, I like a straight better.

For ALOT less than 2k, you could get a Kowa 821 series(82mm, angled or straight, Non HD, with eyepiece of your choice 27x LER, or variable. If you went HD(Prominar series) you would be in the 2k range. If you are not a rabid birder, I dont think the HD is that important for spotting trace, hits on steel, paper punching.

Sounds like straight is still a good choice for most of what I am going to be doing. Not doing a lot of birding where I need to see the best details and/or perfect colors.

Cabelas has a Meopta (branded under the Cabeles name) for about $1600. When I look for the Kowa they all seem to be well over $2k with eye piece. Any additional advice on the scope itself is appreciated.

Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85.
Excellence for $1600.

As for straight vs. angled, it's angled for me all the way.
Comfortable to use standing, sitting and prone.

Joe

*edit* what was I thinking? Buy the body listed here (the last Zeiss optic listed)
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=deal_of_the_day_dec_10
and add the demo eyepiece at the bottom of this page
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=528018
and you've got a Zeiss 20-75x85 Diascope FL for under $2k.

Act fast, though.

Last edited:
Angled, standing, setting or prone a scope is for watching mirage and determining wind speed and direction.
Then making a shot before conditions change, you can't do that with a straight as you have to change position
to engage.

Angled, standing, setting or prone a scope is for watching mirage and determining wind speed and direction.
Then making a shot before conditions change, you can't do that with a straight as you have to change position
to engage.

Agreed. Straight is only good for watching other people shoot.

Also check the Optics Classifieds here.

I picked up a NIB Razor 20-60x85 for a good bit off.

Straight, absolutely for me. Prone, sitting or standing. Always easier when eyeline is towards observed area.
Also a lot easier for my back and neck (sitting, standing) if if observing stints are longer time periods.

Last edited:
Angled if you want to view your shot without totally breaking down your position. Best use is in KD range situations. If I was in the field I would have went straight.

Creedmoor Sports has a great XMAS deal on an 82SV Kowa with stand, eyepiece and other accessories $1400.

Does straight or angled eyepiece have same resolution? Does either one have any better optics given the only difference would be the eyepiece? In other words are there any optical considerations that would cause one to be better in terms of optical considerations?

Does straight or angled eyepiece have same resolution? Does either one have any better optics given the only difference would be the eyepiece? In other words are there any optical considerations that would cause one to be better in terms of optical considerations?

The is little to no difference optically.
The prism configurations are slightly different but they have the same optical path and elements.

Joe