• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotter comparison...... Kowa; Leupold; Athlon

jetmd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2010
Smithville, MO
Disclaimer: This review is very unscientific, conducted by me and my fellow shooters.

Since my Kowa TSN1 is fixed at 25X all testing was completed at this power to provide a fair comparison.

Initial resolution and color was done at 100yds. During the course of our day of shooting we used each spotter to 600yds.

The winner by a VERY small margin was the Leupold MK4. Second the Kowa, and the Athlon third.

Please keep in mind the Kowa is 30 years old and has lived a rough life.

The color and the clarity of the MK4 is just a fuzz better than the Kowa. The MK4 has the advantage with a reticle which is
helpful with a good spotter on the eyepiece.

The Athlon we all agreed was very difficult to use because the fast focus ring is so small and difficult to manipulate.
If it protruded further it would be a lot easier to grasp. Also we all found that having 1 focus knob was quicker and easier
to use VS a course (or fast) focus then having to fine tune with the second knob.

Attached are a few pictures taken the day of the comparison.
The first picture is the 100yd target used for resolving.

Respectfully submitted,

Chet

DSCN0224.jpeg
DSCN0226.jpg
DSCN0227.jpg

What mount is that Kowa on, I have been wanting something similar?

jkingrph,

To the best of my knowledge this mount is no longer made.

Here are a couple of choices that I am aware of:

Mine originally came from Creedmore Sports like opeagle suggested and is/was made by Freeland.

This one is probably the closest to the one I have: