• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotter for eyeglass wearing shooters

madd0c

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
South Carolina
I have searched through a bunch of threads here using the google search for sniper's hide. A bunch of results about individual scopes, but as an overall post I haven't seen this asked.

I wear eyeglasses while shooting. I have used some cheap spotters as well as a Kowa.
All of these have had me pressing my eyeglasses against the eyepiece hard enough to be uncomfortable to get a full field of view.

Anyone have any experience with spotters that have a longer eye relief? Any suggestions?
I was looking at the Vortex spotter, but saw someone else having problems with eye relief and eyeglasses.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
madd0c

Re: Spotter for eyeglass wearing shooters

The Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60mm is THE spotter for eyeglass wearers.

30mm eye relief looks nice. Two things, Looking at the leupold site 40x is the highest magnification. I also do not see an angled eyepiece as an option.
Would like to get this sort of eye relief on a higher mag scope as well as the angled eyepiece.

Thanks for the information though,
madd0c

I went with the USO spotter because of my glasses. I know it doesnt have an angled eyepiece, but it does have a Mil based reticle and it works for me. As far as being able to tell what someone is thinking at 500yds, thats not what its designed for. This is just my 0.02 though, just tossin out another option for ya. Best of luck with your search, and there is always contacts or Lasik.
smile.gif

My Kowa has the 27X eyepiece. It even has the rubber extension and I have no problems with it wearing glasses. I don't think the 20-60 variable has this ability.

Topstrap

Topstrap,
Yes, the one I was looking through today was a 20-60x with the angled eyepiece. Great scope, but I think I still have red marks on my nose form smashing my glasses into it to look.
smile.gif

Where I work, contacts are not allowed, so I don't have any even for outside of work. As for Lasik, the people I have talked to about it are in two camps: 1) Absolutely love it and want to drive me to the eye doctor to have it done immediately and 2) the people who are upset they had it done and complain about halos and rainbows and dry eyes and headaches. I have talked to enough of the latter to have serious concerns about having my eyeballs lasered lol
madd0c

Mad, I completely agree with your take on Lasik, I have heard the same things. As far as contacts go I could never get over the touching of the eye thing, just cant do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30mm eye relief looks nice. Two things, Looking at the leupold site 40x is the highest magnification. I also do not see an angled eyepiece as an option.
Would like to get this sort of eye relief on a higher mag scope as well as the angled eyepiece.

Thanks for the information though,
madd0c </div></div>

If your stuck on an angled spotter, the only option I know of is the Minox MD62W with their 21-42x (LER) long eye-relief eyepiece. The Leupold GR offers the most ER in the business. Even the high end European spotters suffer when it comes to ER, and I'm afraid you're not gonna find what you're looking for in a 20-60x variable.

Kowa 663 with the TSE-17HD eye piece (25x, long eye-relief).

Personally, I don't like >25x, as the mirage gets too heavy, the field of view gets too small (which makes it harder when trying to follow bullet trace) and therefore I prefer the fixed 25x.

I have no idea why this combination isn't more popular, as I find it absolutely perfect.

Nikon is another option...they do a fixed wide angle LER eyepeice that fits a range of their Fieldscope spotters.

I have it on their Nikon 50ED, where its rated as a x27 power. Eye relief is still not brilliant, but as a glasses wearer I find it very "usable".

If you attatch the same eye peice to their 65mm or 80mm spotters, its rated something like a x40 and an x60 respectively (check the exact figure).

This eyepeice will of course fit their angled spotters just as well as their straight bodied spotters...

Regards,

Peter

USO, like AlabamaShooter said.

Maybe just 20mm seems OK for you and your Celestron, but I like a little more.

The US Optics Spotter like AlabamaShooter and I mention above has a listed eye relief of 2.51", see below:

Model: Field Spotting Scope
Power: 15-40x
Length: 14.38
Weight: 2.00
Eye Relief: 2.51

And, you can get it with a reticle to match the US Optics scope on your rifle (a feature I kinda like).

Thanks for the input guys. glock24, that celestron looks interesting. I notice in the description from B&H it says it includes an adapter for a SLR camera. Do you think you could pm me a couple of pics through the scope? The only concerns I have on that is is it rugged enough to be bounced around in a range bag? You have a couple of nice pictures of the scope, but I can't really get a handle on the size from those pics. Could you put a soda can or some other item in a picture? I might not be able to fit it in a range bag
smile.gif

Thanks,
madd0c

I know they're high but I used to wear glasses and loved my swaro. Tried a nikon and hated it w/glasses. You can get a good deal right now on the ats scopes. They've replaced them w/the atm (magnesium frame). The glass is still the same. Best there is in my opinion.

I wear eyeglasses. I have only looked through a Zeiss spotter, a Swarovski spotter and a Pentax spotter. I have a Zeiss but would recommend a Swarovski spotter for people wearing eyeglasses.

The Kowa 821 and the High Definition 823 both use a 27X Long Eye Relief eyepiece that allow the shooter wearing prescription glasses or sunglasses to comfortably see without having to be right on the eyepiece. The newer LER eyepiece has a wider field of view for better mirage viewing and interpretation.