• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotter now or wait for Binocs + LRF?

BytorJr

Two Star General
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Ok, my 1st world problem is as follows - mainly to keep from driving to CMP in Talladega when I have a range 15 minutes from house. I need a spotter to sight in and re-zero a few optics. Range here is from 100 -375 yards. Not really interested in the "camera" approach.

Question is for sighting in say at 200 yds (or even 50) can I get away with a fairly cheap spotter (like < $300)? My goal by the end of the year or early next year is a mid-range set of 15x50 Binoculars like the BX-5, Forge, Cronus or stretch goal the Steiner MX; then acquire a Leica 2800.com (or something along those lines). I burned my money on scopes late last year and this year so would like to put those to use. The immediate need is get stuff sighted in.

Or would I be smarter to just jump on the Cronus that Doug has on sale right now and not look back, acquire Tripod/mounts, etc. Is 15x50 going to be able to let me see holes well enough? My guess is not at 200 yards. Sorry, no feel for this one. I know...I should be booted from the hide for asking stupid questions ;).

Thanks, and go easy...

my experience is the quality of the glass is as important as the magnification. decent glass lower mag can spot holes at 300 that lesser quality glass can't see at a higher magnification. for me, inexpensive spotters kick my ass with the eye box. they seem to have such a small window, that's it's tough for my eye to stay in them.

I'm not talking Swarovsky quality being necessary eitheer. you and I are in line conisdering the Forge as mid level. that's exactly what i have and can see 6.5mm bullet holes at 300 with them on nice days before the mirage kicks up

my experience is the quality of the glass is as important as the magnification. decent glass lower mag can spot holes at 300 that lesser quality glass can't see at a higher magnification. for me, inexpensive spotters kick my ass with the eye box. they seem to have such a small window, that's it's tough for my eye to stay in them.

I'm not talking Swarovsky quality being necessary eitheer. you and I are in line conisdering the Forge as mid level. that's exactly what i have and can see 6.5mm bullet holes at 300 with them on nice days before the mirage kicks up
well heck...then seeing holes at 100 or even 50 (to get on paper) should be a piece of cake for the Force. Some 223/30 cal stuff.

Reactions: C.R. Adams
Why not lrf binos? Any reason to get binos and lrf separate?
A low end spotter will work, but glass is usually meh quality and eye box is terrible. I think the Bushnell are solid spotters for lower cost.

You don't need a spotter or to spend $300 for sighting in... you're over thinking it.

Seeing where you hit with a spotting scope just isn't ideal for sighting in. You really really really really (can't stress this enough) want to be able to see where the bullet hit through your rifle scope for sighting in. That way when your first shot hits the target you can just dial so the reticle moves from point of aim to where the bullet hit. Take one more shot to confirm zero and you're sighted in. It's that simple. You should be able to see the bullet holes at 50 and 100 in any old paper target through your scope.

As you move out to 300yds holes in regular paper get tougher to see, but a few of the color changing bullet splatter targets fix that problem for much less than $300. They work just fine if you really can't see bullet holes in regular paper targets at closer ranges as well.

Spotters and bino's have their purpose, but inside 300 yards for our games that usage is pretty limited imo.