• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Spotter vs Bino’s for PRS

WDN-K-9

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 29, 2008
    Mt Pleasant, SC
    I didn’t get to shoot at all last year, big plans and all, then the world went to and stayed in hell and the former employer kept running me out of town for threshold crap after the collapse in S Fla.

Trying to get it together for this year and I have a question. Seems a good bit of use of binoculars (or even lower range options like the Vortex Recon) with tripod mounts, etc., versus spotters in use at matches. What is the general conciseness on this with you experienced guys shooting a lot of matches? Pros vs cons? If it’s been hashed out nine ways to Sunday already, point me in the direction.

Reactions: Badjujuu
    I prefer binos. More eyes (both) are better (than one). 10x is fine, 12x is good, 15x is awesome if you are reasonably good at finding targets in a smaller field of view or if you are just watching one target. Having a reticle is nice but not required. Tripod mount is an absolute requirement for me…can be a heavy bag on the apex…but the stability is key to clearly seeing what’s happening.

Here you go:

Binos, every day and twice on Sundays. There's a reason pretty much everyone uses binos. No eye fatigue, great FOV for reading wind effects down range, etc. I personally use 15x which provides great glassing as far as we ever go in PRS matches, and can even spot impacts at a mile (though spotting scopes can be more advantageous for that of course). 15s are a little too much for NRL/PRS 22 matches at times so I use my 10x Kilos. 15X translates nicely from glassing to actually shooting stages also, being that many of us shoot at 15x magnification.

Reactions: WDN-K-9
    Here you go:

Thank you guys. I knew there was something somewheres already 😏 A good set of 15x it is.

Reactions: JustSendit
    Binos. If you're not scoring, acting as a brass monkey, timing, or getting ready to shoot or coming off the stage, you should be in the glass, especially if you are new. Every round you watch sent could provide you data on wind. Spending as much time as possible on glass, you'll want to keep both eyes open to avoid eye fatigue and binos are great for this. Good binos and a decent tripod are one of the best tools an aspiring shooter can invest in.

Just don't forget to help with the other jobs too (timing, scoring, policing brass, watching the shooter to ensure safe handling, et cetera).

Binos, 10 or 12x.

I had a pair of 15x slcs and i felt it was a bit too much for me when it came of picking landmarks far from the targets to make transitions. A tripod is almost mandatory to get the best out of any bino regardless of power but specially over 8-10x. With 15x for sure you got to run them mounted.

A 15-18x bino set can pull double duty as a general gaming bino an a spotter if you can get over the smaller FOV for the general glassing part too.

Spotter 45 and Vector 21 (with 10x adapter when you want 10 over 7x).

Thank me later……

On a strategy note, I used 15x SLC for a year or two.

They work great and if going the bino route for competition use, IMO they have no equal. But, as already mentioned, they will require a tripod with that much magnification.

As I’ve progressed, I now use a spotter (was str80 and now spotter 45) as I teach a fair amount as well as mil every target for my wind strategy on each stage.

For a while I had both in my bag or cart and would toss the spotter on to mil and then back to binos for general spotting. I got tired of that though. I sold my slc and now use the spotter 45 exclusively for spotting.

Binos are easier on eyes, but for me personally not enough so that using a spotter is uncomfortable even after doing it all day.

I have now added a set of vector 21’s to my spotter, replacing my terrapin-x. I have the 10x adapter as well. It’s too soon to know if I’ll use them as much or more for spotting than the 45. Will update as time passes.

Quality glass you can't go wrong with either. I have ran a Leica 77mm Televid spotting scope with ED glass for years. 20X & 32X wide angle eyepieces. Nothing but positive comments on a 20+ year old spotter, cry once. Nothing is worse than a crappy spotting scope with a zoom eyepiece.
    My brother has convinced me to get a set of the new Swarovski bino range finders......

Last edited:
    So.......

I have a decent spotter (Swarovski ATX with 95mm lens) and have been thinking about picking up some binoculars (don't have any currently). I also got to thinking as I have a crappy rangefinder it would make more sense to pick up range finding binoculars (two birds / one stone) but does this mean I would be limited on options and / or compromising what quality I could get?

I like magnification and would have been leaning towards some Swarovski SLC 15X but they don't offer these with a built in rangefinder (they do offer 10X), in time it will probably happen so I could wait or are there other options (in the same higher end league) I should look at?

Regarding binoculars vs spotting scope, I think the smaller size / lighter weight of the binoculars makes them much more versatile. My ATX is pretty big / heavy and I would rather not lug it around a PRS match (with 20lb rifle & all other kit) if I could avoid it.

I have found that to see trace it is important to be as close to directly behind the shooter as possible and have the optic on a tripod which you look through without touching (more stable) - this has given me the best results.

As a side note I love my ATX and while the glass is crazy clear at 30X I feel like its not as crisp at the upper end of the magnification (70X)

So.......

I have a decent spotter (Swarovski ATX with 95mm lens) and have been thinking about picking up some binoculars (don't have any currently). I also got to thinking as I have a crappy rangefinder it would make more sense to pick up range finding binoculars (two birds / one stone) but does this mean I would be limited on options and / or compromising what quality I could get?

I like magnification and would have been leaning towards some Swarovski SLC 15X but they don't offer these with a built in rangefinder (they do offer 10X), in time it will probably happen so I could wait or are there other options (in the same higher end league) I should look at?

Regarding binoculars vs spotting scope, I think the smaller size / lighter weight of the binoculars makes them much more versatile. My ATX is pretty big / heavy and I would rather not lug it around a PRS match (with 20lb rifle & all other kit) if I could avoid it.

I have found that to see trace it is important to be as close to directly behind the shooter as possible and have the optic on a tripod which you look through without touching (more stable) - this has given me the best results.

As a side note I love my ATX and while the glass is crazy clear at 30X I feel like its not as crisp at the upper end of the magnification (70X)
    I think somewhere around here a mfg said they had no plans to build a 15x LRF bino rig, because the demand was way too low. Not sure that it was Swaro, probably wasn’t tbh, but the lack of demand would likely be an issue across the board.

Might not want to wait, is what I’m saying.

I have Leica 3000s and a 15-45 minox with reticle next to each other. I like to use the spotter reticle to “pre shoot” each stage. Helps me.

Higher mag helps to mil targets etc also

I have binos and spotter mounted on my tripod for PRS. I use the binos 10% if the time and spotter 90% if I was guessing. The reticle is imperative for me, sizing targets to determine wind brackets.

Spotter 60 and kilo 10ks here. I use the 10k’s for range work where I don’t need a spotter but more so a RF and the laser on those things in pretty incredible. The glass sucks ass so that’s why I make the effort to carry the Henny as well. Used to use a BTX 65mm with Leica RF binos as well. I like to use the spotter reticle to mil targets as needed and also punch in when guys are shooting 223 or small 6’s like 105’s on a heavy ass plate.

Depending on what you trying to accomplish - a spotting scope on a good solid mount with higher magnification has advantages.