• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotter

Depends of what it is you want to spot. The best of the best optically is a Kowa. You can also go with an Athlon Cronus or Ares depending on use for less $$$, the Meopta MeoPro and MeoStar are also excellent options

Depends of what it is you want to spot. The best of the best optically is a Kowa. You can also go with an Athlon Cronus or Ares depending on use for less $$$, the Meopta MeoPro and MeoStar are also excellent options

Doug, I just have to ask. I know you own cameralandny, but do you shoot also? Do you actually use these spotters in the field for spotting shots? I have seen you refer to Kowa as the "best of the best" a couple times here. Have you ever spotted with a Hensoldt Spotter 45 or 60? Just curious.

Best Regards,

Todd

Reactions: JOrisman
I shoot occasionally. I mostly work. Have 2 kids and one on the way. My time hasn't been my own in a long time lol
My "go to" is fishing and I haven't fished in 2 summers. Crazy busy.
I have never used a Hensoldt in the field. I have been in our family owned and operated Camera/Sports Optics business sine 1971 when i started part time as a kid and I know optics extremely well. The Kowa Prominar scopes, IMO are top of the line. Kowa Genesis binoculars are amazing and right there with Swaros, however, they are a touch heavy

Reactions: MACHTECH
If you have any question what works for shooters at distance stop by an F-class match as everyone will have at least one spotter with them. Based on my experiences you're likely to find Kowa the most popular by a 5:1 margin vs any other brand, but it's still worth while to take a look through a few first hand out in the real world to see if the differences matter to you. Us shooters are usually pretty friendly.

As far as Hensoldts 45/60, they don't really compare optically with the current Alpha spotters. What they do bring to the table is actual field carry durability and a nice reticle. Some of the Alpha's do better than others, but there isn't any real competition if you require hard use durability, a nice reticle and quality glass. Just don't expect it to defy the laws of physics to beat out the less durable 80+mm scopes in clarity or resolution.

For a bang for the buck option Celestron Regal's in the $600-800 range are a nice option. They come with the eye piece and carrying case, which can be several hundred dollar extras on other scopes. They aren't available with a reticle if that's important to you... Regardless of which brand you choose, unless you need a compact spotter, reticle, or some other specific feature I suggest sticking with 80+mm objectives.

Another couple of things to think about is do you want your targets to fill the lens as much as possible then you will want to stay close to a 60mm objective, but if you are going to shoot in low light conditions a 80mm objective lens will let in a bit more light, but saying that I have used a 50mm spotter under street light conditions with the zoom at about 18X,

It's boils down to what you are going to do with it, I also have a Leupold GR HD which is more than enough scope for any situation and I have my old faithful for messing around with,

Hope that helps.

Thank you guys. It will be for prs type matches. So I can see what others are doing, how winds and elements are effecting their shots, then ask where they were holding so I can get more of an idea of what to hold for. I appreciate all the feedback. The Kowas and hendsolt are a little out of my price point at the moment, but I might hold off until I can get all the funds for a higher end one.

Thank you guys. It will be for prs type matches. So I can see what others are doing, how winds and elements are effecting their shots, then ask where they were holding so I can get more of an idea of what to hold for. I appreciate all the feedback. The Kowas and hendsolt are a little out of my price point at the moment, but I might hold off until I can get all the funds for a higher end one.
Well many moons ago I was using a mates Tasco 12-36x50, So I ended up buying one my self and I still use it to this day, I also have a new Leupold GR HD but that old Tasco can still hold its own, I have shot out to 1500 using it So don't get sucked into over committing your finances because either of these two will get a person out of a jam. just buy what gets the job done and not what impresses others, but saying that my Leupold is not exactly entry level optics. lol.

hope that helps.

John.

Have a Henny 60 as well as an STM65 and ATS80HD. Of the three, the ATS IMHO has the best image quality although the Henny is pretty darn close and be difficult to discern the two. I have been behind Kowa's scoring at matches and the quality of the image is very good. If I had to pick only one, I would go with the Henny since it covers the range of needs. Reticle, illumination, and rails to mention a few. I use the ATS for F Class matches when scoring but when I have to spot the Henny is my goto scope.

Might also consider whether binos are an option for you. A good set of 15's on a tripod is a very useful tool for PRS spotting.

If it's for PRS, get Bino's. 12-15x, you'll see more wind, and when there tripod mounted they're better for trace as well. The only thing you'll lack with most Bino's is a reticule to measure target width for a "wind plan".

Make sure they're tripod mounted.

Make sure the bino's have good glass. I like Cannon 10x42 L IS WP for low price and image stabo, and Swo EL's for high end. Zeiss,\ and Leica would be good to, I just never see any of their stuff on the prize table or in spotter kits that are on lone to the match from the company.