• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting and snow

drn1234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Castle Rock Colorado
Set up my tripod and spotter this morning to watch the deer hunker down in the distance.
We are getting a blizzard with high winds so I have been watching how the sow acts in open field and how it funnels and lifts/drops near natural terrain and obstructions.

Great wind lesson this morning.

Reactions: pmclaine
I recently did this on a 300 yard range through my scope. Was very interesting to see the changes in several spots over land features and tree line changes. The bigger flakes are easier to see. What was most interesting was the spiral movements.

Reactions: drn1234
@Diver160651 and I were talking this and how blowing snow can help visualize the effects of the topography on the wind.

Wind does have some impact on rain, but its much different. Good spotters need to know the rain/wind relationship too. But I love the snow/wind one - amazing and beautiful.

Reactions: seansmd
Unless you have to plow, blow, shovel, and chip your way out of it every year. I did it for decades, now I prefer to drive to it and leave when i'm done :)