• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope $1000ish

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
I am looking to get a spotter. Primary use will be spotting game (deer) from the truck window or tripod. At this point I don't expect to haul it into the backcountry so size or weight doesn't really concern me.

At this budget I can't be to picky on zoom range. As for distance I would say the further the better but I realize I am not buying premium so again I can't be to picky.

Cabelas has razor hd 20-60 on sale right now. That falls well in my budget.

Maven has a 15-45 for 800.

Not sure what else to look at. Not interested in anything from China. I can deal with Philippines or some other country.

Can this be done with my budget or should I just wait?

Reactions: Kalthoff
Athlon Cronus G2 20-60x86 UHD Spotting Scope
APOCHROMATIC LENS SYSTEM
Helps in converging refracting colors into one focus point, producing greater contrast, sharpness, and color definition.

UHD GLASS
Gives you an advantage with an image that has little or no chromatic fringe for the clearest and sharpest image.

ESP DIELECTRIC COATING
Reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image and accurate color reproduction.

I have the 82SV and LOVE IT. I use the 25x LER ocular, which works well. They do have a 20-60 ocular which is supposed to be great too, but the eye relief is pretty short.

Optical clarity is fantastic, it’s fairly light, I haven’t succeeded in breaking mine yet. And it’s from a reputable manufacturer

How far are you having to spot deer? 60x seems like a huge overkill.

Reactions: b6graham
From experience, dealing with the high mag spotters, they can bit finicky, it can be tough to find what you're looking for etc...
I would look at the 12-36 (or thereabouts) mag range.

Reactions: Rob01

I can attest to this.

I bought an sx-4 20-60. I should have bought the 15-45. I rarely go over 40x, and when I do it's near useless without a phone scope to not be touching it at all.

Maven CS1's are Chinesium and the supposedly Razors are now too. It's possible the ones at Cabelas could be old stock Japanese models and could be why they're on sale, I would try to go see them in person if it's an option.

Unless the Razor is old stock I wouldn't buy either of those. I'd add $500 to your budget and go used. You can get into some really nice used units starting around $1500.

Maybe I am missing something but why do you need to spend $1500 to see a deer?

OP how far are you taking shots and spotting?

Because some people appreciate nice things and not china shit, and you see more animals when you're trying to look for something that's hiding from predators and you're using great glass. Lots of hunters spend twice that or more on spotting scopes to look at deer.

Maybe I am missing something but why do you need to spend $1500 to see a deer?

OP how far are you taking shots and spotting?
sush you. i quite enjoy my NL Pure

unless im shooting NRA/CMP without electronic scoring i don't really see the use for a spotter unless you need to see a full curl on a ram or similar big hunt. and then it would have to be a swaro btx or something along those lines where the spotter costs WAY less than the rest of the hunt

Because some people appreciate nice things and not china shit, and you see more animals when you're trying to look for something that's hiding from predators and you're using great glass. Lots of hunters spend twice that or more on spotting scopes to look at deer.

Where did I say anything about china shit? Keep it on point and don't make it something it's not. That's why I aksed him how far he is spotting as a decent set of binos can do a few hundred yards in woods for deer. If he's in his truck then not sure what he is looking for as far as range.

Where did I say anything about china shit? Keep it on point and don't make it something it's not. That's why I aksed him how far he is spotting as a decent set of binos can do a few hundred yards in woods for deer. If he's in his truck then not sure what he is looking for as far as range.

If he wanted binoculars I bet he would have asked about a recommendation for binoculars instead.

If he wanted binoculars I bet he would have asked about a recommendation for binoculars instead.

Because everyone who comes in here asking a question knows exactly what they need right? LOL He may not have thought about it and was only told he had to have a spotter. He has questions that need answering about range and conditions.

Reactions: Im2bent
If he's looking at 1000 dollars, he is looking at China.

Exactly, and specifically not what the OP wants hence the recommendation to up the budget $500.

Because everyone who comes in here asking a question knows exactly what they need right? LOL He may not have thought about it and was only told he had to have a spotter. He has questions that need answering about range and conditions.

I've dealt with the OP before and I'm pretty confident he's not an idiot. Most hunters looking for a spotter already have binoculars and I'm pretty sure he would ask about that if that's what he wanted.

I've dealt with the OP before and I'm pretty confident he's not an idiot. Most hunters looking for a spotter already have binoculars and I'm pretty sure he would ask about that if that's what he wanted.

And I never said he was an idiot. Need to stop putting words in my mouth. Assumptions aside I will wait until the OP comes back in and answers some questions.

You're assuming he's not smart enough to have come to the decision on his own that he wants a spotting scope. Literally anyone on here can guess that you're going to turn this into a plug for the Bushnell binoculars because that's what you just got and that's what you do.

• Haha
I've got an Athlon Ares and am really happy with it. I looked through a guys Talos at a match and couldn't believe how clear it was for like $200

You're assuming he's not smart enough to have come to the decision on his own that he wants a spotting scope. Literally anyone on here can guess that you're going to turn this into a plug for the Bushnell binoculars because that's what you just got and that's what you do.
LOL there are your stupid assumptions again. Wouldn't even think to bring those up to him due to where they were made. Just because I talk about things I get to help people in those threads doesn't mean it's "what I do". You obviously have no idea about me but that's ok as I like it better that way.

And not assuming he isn't smart enough but might be something he didn't think about. Man you are showing your ass big in this thread assuming everything.

Reactions: stanley_white
LOL there are your stupid assumptions again. Wouldn't even think to bring those up to him due to where they were made. Just because I talk about things I get to help people in those threads doesn't mean it's "what I do". You obviously have no idea about me but that's ok as I like it better that way.

And not assuming he isn't smart enough but might be something he didn't think about. Man you are showing your ass big in this thread assuming everything.

First of all, you made a comment about my recommendation of upping his budget to $1500 to get a decent spotter that not chinese (OP's request) like it's outrageous to buy nice glass for hunting despite the fact that more high end glass is sold for hunting and wildlife viewing than the little niche market that's PRS that many folks here's minds live in.

Second, I was squadded with you at multiple matches. I know you well enough to know that you're the biggest brand pimp on here. Anybody who frequents this website knows this. I remember when Vortex was the best thing since sliced bread in the world and now it's poopoo apparently.

Third, these were your own words while you're trying to push the OP another direction.

Keep it on point and don't make it something it's not.

• Haha
First of all, you made a comment about my recommendation of upping his budget to $1500 to get a decent spotter that not chinese (OP's request) like it's outrageous to buy nice glass for hunting despite the fact that more high end glass is sold for hunting and wildlife viewing than the little niche market that's PRS that many folks here's minds live in.

Second, I was squadded with you at multiple matches. I know you well enough to know that you're the biggest brand pimp on here. Anybody who frequents this website knows this. I remember when Vortex was the best thing since sliced bread in the world and now it's poopoo apparently.

Third, these were your own words while you're trying to push the OP another direction.
I made the comment as he gave his price limit and like most times people telling him he has to spend more. He hasn't answered questions asked so still don't know what he needs or what price range will do it.

Biggest brand pimp? LOL That's something on this forum. Not true but whatever. Guess I can't speak about my experiences with companies like everyone else, including yourself, here. And where did I say Vortex was "poopoo"? Or another assumption because I haven't spoken about them recently as I have been using other scopes or is that only something other people can do? Save that shit for someone who doesn't know any better. And just cause you squadded with me doesn't mean you know me because you used to be pretty cool around here so i obviously don;t know you either.

Ok enough of this shit. You can PM me if you want to continue. Sorry OP for the side step.

You've literally thrown shade at Vortex since Burris has been your #1 flavor. I've read your comments, heres just one I recalled that I found in about 10 seconds with a quick google search and the link to the thread. Post #11. You got defensive when asked about it too.

Nope no more Vortex for me. Should have a couple more up for sale in the next months. Will leave it at that.

Vortex anything was the end all be all until it wasn't anymore...

I have no desire to PM you, I only responded to you because of your comment.

• Haha
You've literally thrown shade at Vortex since Burris has been your #1 flavor. I've read your comments, heres just one I recalled that I found in about 10 seconds with a quick google search and the link to the thread. Post #11. You got defensive when asked about it too.

Vortex anything was the end all be all until it wasn't anymore...

I have no desire to PM you, I only responded to you because of your comment.

Again with assumptions. Read it. I didn't say there was anything wrong with them but I wasn't using them and I have good reason. Personal reason. Nothing to do with the product but nice try. Swing and a miss.

And Burris isn't my number one. It's one of my scopes I use.

Get a Leupold MK4 12-40 off the hide. You’ll spend around $1000 used and they’ve got a TMR that is a great help.

I won’t own a spotter without a reticle anymore - my days of calling misses as “uh I dunno 6 inches left” are over.

kowa 664/663 is a great scope, and mine has taken a pretty good beating. the 20-60x eyepiece is a bit of a narrow view, the 30x fixed is amazing. I owned a 85mm razor and preferred the smaller kowa even in low light.

as far as adapters i just use phoneskope. Although my next one will probably be the Tines up adaptor.

Reactions: stiletto raggio
You prove my point 100%. "Personal reason"... yes, this is personal for you, it's always been. You take whatever it is you like VERY personal and it's the only option on the planet. When you wore a Vortex logo they were the best, even their low end shitty lines. Now any chance to push someone onto these new Bushnell binoculars is a full send. You were just trying to convince someone to drive a long damn ways to look at your Bushnells that you've been pushing for months when you haven't even had them in your hands for a week now.

I don't get paid to use anyones stuff or get a discount from any manufacture and I never have. If I buy it and it sucks I take the hit like most folks here.

I still don't understand why you're salty at me because I recommended the OP spend a little more money to get what he specifically wants.

You prove my point 100%. "Personal reason"... yes, this is personal for you, it's always been. You take whatever it is you like VERY personal and it's the only option on the planet. When you wore a Vortex logo they were the best, even their low end shitty lines. Now any chance to push someone onto these new Bushnell binoculars is a full send. You were just trying to convince someone to drive a long damn ways to look at your Bushnells that you've been pushing for months when you haven't even had them in your hands for a week now.

I don't get paid to use anyones stuff or get a discount from any manufacture and I never have. If I buy it and it sucks I take the hit like most folks here.

I still don't understand why you're salty at me because I recommended the OP spend a little more money to get what he specifically wants.

First I was not salty at you because you told him to spend more money. Go back and read it. You came in hot after my post asking about it.

The personal reason, as I said, had nothing to do with the products but with personnel. They do make a good product even for the money in the lower price ranges. I still use a Vortex range finder. Thinking about getting a Strike Eagle 3-18 as it will fit a nitch for me. It's not personal to me what anyone wants to use. I can give my experiences with products and let people know what I think like in the thread you quoted above. Use it or don't. I don't care. Not sure what your hang up on the Bushnell binos is as I just got my order in when they came in stock last week. They looked really interesting as I have looked through the Forge before. Only had them a few days now but with my experience in the sport and with glass it allows me to see the good and bad in products. They are good in that price range and with a reticle. Period. No personal feelings. Buy it or don't. I don't care. LOL @DeathBeforeDismount was interested in them and I know he shoots up that way so I offered to show it to him if he came down to shoot the match. Man I am an asshole huh? LOL

Sorry you don't get discounts but being a Marine vet and fire fighter does help from time to time. ;) Hold on to your panties as I just ordered a Bushnell Match Pro ED today and will be posting about it when I get it in and mounted up. Or am not alowed to do that like every other motherfucker on the site? LOL

Gentlemen. We are missing the most important fact of the case. OP is in Michigan. You don't need a spotter for anything but western scoping. Even most places in the west you can get away with binos.

$1000 spotter is going to be absolutely trash compared to a $1000 set of 10 or 12x binos. Great glass in binos > OK glass in a spotter. Much more versatile as well. Spotting scopes are niche unless you shoot a sport that requires it or have to glass miles away, trust me get the binos.

My personal favorites at that price range:
BX-5
Ziess Conquest HD 10x
KOWA Genesis 10.5x
Used meopta Mostar B1 15x
Used Vortex UHD

Or just throw the wallet down for a set of NL Pure 12x.

First I was not salty at you because you told him to spend more money. Go back and read it. You came in hot after my post asking about it.

The personal reason, as I said, had nothing to do with the products but with personnel. They do make a good product even for the money in the lower price ranges. I still use a Vortex range finder. Thinking about getting a Strike Eagle 3-18 as it will fit a nitch for me. It's not personal to me what anyone wants to use. I can give my experiences with products and let people know what I think like in the thread you quoted above. Use it or don't. I don't care. Not sure what your hang up on the Bushnell binos is as I just got my order in when they came in stock last week. They looked really interesting as I have looked through the Forge before. Only had them a few days now but with my experience in the sport and with glass it allows me to see the good and bad in products. They are good in that price range and with a reticle. Period. No personal feelings. Buy it or don't. I don't care. LOL @DeathBeforeDismount was interested in them and I know he shoots up that way so I offered to show it to him if he came down to shoot the match. Man I am an asshole huh? LOL

Sorry you don't get discounts but being a Marine vet and fire fighter does help from time to time. ;) Hold on to your panties as I just ordered a Bushnell Match Pro ED today and will be posting about it when I get it in and mounted up. Or am not alowed to do that like every other motherfucker on the site? LOL
One of the local shooters has a gen 2 and I think a gen 3 razor. He shoots prs22 with his strike eagle and uses the razor as a spotter. Tony knows him (steve). Those little strike eagles punch way above their price. He said he likes it better than the razor for matches.

I thought I was the biggest brand pimp...

Now I gotta up my game 🤔

I'm pretty sure you moan while eating corn dogs and looking at the Burris logo.

That's the spirit lol. The drunk city night test between the 15x slc and 12x pures via @NiteQwill...the pures were clearly the winner. I bought a set before I flew home.

I haven't been able to put them side by side and I'm going to try to refrain because I've had SLC 15's before and already want another pair despite having the NL12's. The TA's already jumped the NL 8x32's that are on the list of glass I need.

Get a Leupold MK4 12-40 off the hide. You’ll spend around $1000 used and they’ve got a TMR that is a great help.

I won’t own a spotter without a reticle anymore - my days of calling misses as “uh I dunno 6 inches left” are over.
Yeah I like mine too

hard to say. I would like to be able to tell a good buck from a great buck from as far as possible. But I think i understand the limitations of my budget.

I am heading to north Dakota this year deer hunting. I will have 10x42 binos while hunting. I am thinking about a spotter for scouting from the truck

Last edited:
hard to say. I would like to be able to tell a good buck from a great buck from as far as possible. But I think i understand the limitations of my budget.

I am heading to north Dakota this year deer hunting. I will have 10x42 binos while hunting. I am thinking about a spotter for scouting from the truck
what 10 x 42s?

Clarity is king on judging critters. Next would be learning the difference between good light and bad light. Get the tightest clarity you can budget, regardless of power.

The Razor may be from China. I think they have moved all their binos and spotters there?

I like the Maven, they're good value.
likely is,

at one point, the higher end glass was made by Meopta , out of CZ, but when Bass bought Cab, then it all changed,

I think all the glass now is chinese, the company is very quiet about where it sources some of it,

do you have a Cabelas\bass pro\\academy etc near you? or a good LGS that has a few brands?

if so, go ask to look see , if they have a lick of sense , they will walk you out to the parking lot and let you use the scope to see the surroundings,

when I was in that part of retail, I did it often, and usually got a sale out of it,

having said that, as mentioned, the go to for comps is Kowa, hands down some of the best optics i have looked thru,
and, having said that , have an old Bushnell (kinda like the one's the military used) and have been using a 90 degree Unertl of late,

the Unertl is a very very close 2nd to the Kowa 77mm units a few friends have,

I am curious, since I don't hunt any longer, why a Spotter vs a Bino, and the distances you hunt,

Gentlemen. We are missing the most important fact of the case. OP is in Michigan. You don't need a spotter for anything but western scoping. Even most places in the west you can get away with binos.

$1000 spotter is going to be absolutely trash compared to a $1000 set of 10 or 12x binos. Great glass in binos > OK glass in a spotter. Much more versatile as well. Spotting scopes are niche unless you shoot a sport that requires it or have to glass miles away, trust me get the binos.

My personal favorites at that price range:
BX-5
Ziess Conquest HD 10x
KOWA Genesis 10.5x
Used meopta Mostar B1 15x
Used Vortex UHD

Or just throw the wallet down for a set of NL Pure 12x.
Hey there number 376. How’s it going?

• Haha
Reactions: Yasherka
Yeah I like

do you have a Cabelas\bass pro\\academy etc near you? or a good LGS that has a few brands?

if so, go ask to look see , if they have a lick of sense , they will walk you out to the parking lot and let you use the scope to see the surroundings,

when I was in that part of retail, I did it often, and usually got a sale out of it,

having said that, as mentioned, the go to for comps is Kowa, hands down some of the best optics i have looked thru,
and, having said that , have an old Bushnell (kinda like the one's the military used) and have been using a 90 degree Unertl of late,

the Unertl is a very very close 2nd to the Kowa 77mm units a few friends have,

I am curious, since I don't hunt any longer, why a Spotter vs a Bino, and the distances you hunt,
Like I mentioned before. I have and use 10x binos. I have considered 15x binos. I am really shocked by everyone questioning a spotting scope. I thought it would be another good tool for the tool box. Now I am wondering if it is a good idea at all

Also thought I should mention. I want to use a digiscope adapter with this. I think that would work nice if we are driving around looking at deer with my kids, if they can just look at the phone screen vs helping them with binoculars

Reactions: BCP
Like I mentioned before. I have and use 10x binos. I have considered 15x binos. I am really shocked by everyone questioning a spotting scope. I thought it would be another good tool for the tool box. Now I am wondering if it is a good idea at all
Most of us have been through a bunch of binos and spotting scopes to realize spotting scopes are a waste outside of specific situations. You can also get alot more bino for the same money as an equivalent glass spotter. The binos get used way more. The only time I have used a spotter in the last couple years was to mil targets.

That's why people are saying to forget the spotter. Even for long range glassing, binos are much more pleasurable to use. Mirage is going to take most of your top end out of the spotter anyway.

Reactions: Beefmanne