• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotting Scope needed, waterproof and cheap

medbill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2003
www.america4rmarines.org
Hey guys, started a new shooting sport and don't need to use a high end spotting scope. I just need something that's waterproof, lightweight and can see .50 cal holes at 100 yards. I'm shooting muzzleloaders and .50 is the smallest cal hole I need to spot.

Thanks for any advice on what to go with and where to get one at a good price. We shoot rain or shine.

Billy

Re: Spotting Scope needed, waterproof and cheap

Billy,

take a look at the Konus brand. I've read some good things about them for their price range. I think there's a deal on them in the Midway flyer....I want to say under a $100....not sure. if I think about it, I'll check when i get home and let you know.

-Pat

I have a KonusSpot 80. It is a 20-60x80mm scope. It is actually pretty clear- very clear for the money.
OpticsPlanet has free shipping but
midway is cheaper- at least if you have an FFL on file with them. My C&RFFL gets me a decent discount.

Jim

Thanks guys those Konus scopes look promising but I can't find anything in regards to them being waterproof. Do you know if they are?

I use a Barska blackhawk 20-60x60.
(this model: http://swfa.com/Barska-20-60x60-Blackhawk-Spotting-Scope-P5795.aspx)
I got it at Big 5 for $85, and it comes with a pretty nice hard case and a little tripod.

It's waterproof, and can resolve .30 holes reliably to 200-300 yards (given enough contrast). On a day with perfect lighting, I've seen .30 holes out to 600 yards on a plain white target. My friend bought one at the same time, and they both performed about the same, so I have no reason to believe I got lucky with this one. You shouldn't have any trouble seeing .50 cal holes at 100.

The opticsplanet site shows it as having no weatherproofing. I use mine at the range only, and bought it for the clarity and because it has a 45* eyepiece. It rotates so it can be used in any position. It also has enough eye relief that i can use it with glasses. Several other scopes I looked, like the Leupold sequoia, were almost impossible to see through wearing glasses.

Why is waterproofing so important to you if you don't mind me asking?

Jim

edited to add: I found another site that lists it as being waterproof and fogproof. I have never had an issue with mine in blowing rain although I haven't had it in direct rain.
I believe it is waterproof and opticsplanet just doesn't have that in it's description. I can't see a review stating that it is unless it is waterproof.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The opticsplanet site shows it as having no weatherproofing. I use mine at the range only, and bought it for the clarity and because it has a 45* eyepiece. It rotates so it can be used in any position. It also has enough eye relief that i can use it with glasses. Several other scopes I looked, like the Leupold sequoia, were almost impossible to see through wearing glasses.

Why is waterproofing so important to you if you don't mind me asking?

Jim

edited to add: I found another site that lists it as being waterproof and fogproof. I have never had an issue with mine in blowing rain although I haven't had it in direct rain.
I believe it is waterproof and opticsplanet just doesn't have that in it's description. I can't see a review stating that it is unless it is waterproof.

Jim </div></div>

Thanks Jim that helps. The reason why I need one that is waterproof is because we shoot rain or shine over the course of a few days most of the time not under covered shooting positions. It can be a freaking monsoon as long as there is no lightning. First bolt of lightning the range is shut down. This is for individual paper punching scores.

I'll look into that Barska as well. My bro has a C&R and gets a discount from Midway, its not great but its something. Wish Brownell's sold spotting scopes.

Then I have to get a stand for shooting offhand. I am looking at the Ray-Vin, anyone have experience with them?

Thanks dudes,

Billy

The waterproofing is what kept me from getting the Konus. Konus' site lists it as waterproof but I found several reviews saying no way.

The problem is funding one that is good and cheap.
When I got it I compared my Konus at 20x with dad's leupold fixed 20x. I swear we couldn't see any difference. The leupold had a smaller diameter objective and the Konus has an 80mm objective and that is probably why they seemed equally bright. The Konus is also pretty clear- clear enough for range work anyway.
I also seriously doubt the Barska will be any more waterproof than the Konus, or any other $200.00 scope.

Jim

The Konus is an excellent value but it isn't waterproof. Do a search for the new Bushnell Excursion 15-45x60. About as cheap as you can get, any less and it's probably a POS to begin with.

I assure you the Barska is waterproof, or at least water resistant (you may notice I'm from Washington). Last time I had optics out in the rain, I was using the Barska, a Kowa 664 and a USO spotter. The Kowa, which is o-ring sealed and is supposed to be waterproof, fogged up inside the eyepiece. The Barska and USO were unaffected.

Seriously, for the money it's well worth it. While I do have better glass, I might get another one or two just because they're so cheap and they work fine. I just checked Midway to see if anyone had reviewed it, and am actually kind of surprised to see it has a 5 star rating with 20 reviews.

Based on price and objective size, I'd bet the Konus is better optically, but the Barska is half the price (in the 20-60x at least).

Check out the Celestron line in the $70-150 range at Optics Planet. Not bad glass for the money and a lifetime warranty.

Scope arrived and the clarity is excellent even in lowlight, then again it was a pretty bright moon tonight. Will let you guys know how it works out on the range and or in the rain. Nice lightweight scope at a great price.

Also I have the warranty info for service in the USA if anyone needs it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Freaking Natchez has them on sale now for 80 something bucks. Great deal for a range spotting scope, optics are great. Will let you know how it works at this weekends shoot.

Thanks,

B

Not wanting to take over someone else's thread or anything, but I am also looking for a spotting scope. I am new at this long distance shooting thing and am figuring out really quick that I cant use my binoculars anymore. haha. I basically need a decent priced (200) spotting scope with as much magnification as I can get. I am going to use it for a 308 LR and .50 armalite. Long long distances. Please tell me that there is one that will get the job done for around $200. I just need something basic. Nothing to brag about. I already spent all my money on the guns and scopes. I dont want to take out my kideny to get the glass. Thanks in advance.

Well I know enough about optics to know that I dont know much. I appreciate your help. I found a Konus Konuspot 20-60x80mm for around 200. Is this something along the lines that I need? Here is the link.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html

I would like to be able to at least see bullet holes around 600 yards if its possible. Im tired of walking.
wink.gif
I will use it for spotting game too.

I have a burris fullfield II scope with the ballistic plex on my .308. I THINK I have calculated my bullet's ballistics correctly to use the notches. Ill find out this weekend. I am hoping to get a Zeiss when I can afford it. They have a pretty nice one out there with some sort of ballistic plex reticle that is supposedly good. Anyone know much about it?

By the way, if yall dont already know about the JBM ballistic calculation website, you should check it out. Its the best thing i have found out there. You can download the software yourself as well if you want.

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/calculations.html

That's the scope I have.
As for seeing bullet holes at 600 yards- that's not all up to the scope. Mirage will make that difficult with any scope.
Your choice of target will have a lot to do with it too. Holes in a black bullseye are tough to see.
.22 holes at 200 yards are easy in almost all conditions.
The main drawback to this scope is that it is on the large size. It will be cumbersome in the field. A smaller scope like a fixed 20x leupold would be a better choice.

Jim

Yeah. I have some bright orange targets I use so the black wont be a problem. My gun scope is a 14 power and its definitely too weak.I just figured that i needed a high powered spotting scope to see the target at 600yrds. I usually hunt off cliff tops and need to see game coming in at 700-800 yards. What power for a spotting scope would be adequate for that? As far as the size of the spotting scope goes, I bring my drag bag to carry my gun in and there is probably enough room for it to fit.