• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting Scope options

Manic Mike

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2021
Southern California
So I read the forum and noticed a few people were having problems deciding on which gun to buy; so I bought all of them in bolt action and semi-auto from .338 Lapua , 6.5 Creedmoor and just about everything in between on down to a .224 Valkyrie. Needless to say, after putting scopes on them, I cried only one time; but I am running out of Play Money. My buddy and I noticed that some form of verifying the placement of each shot, besides riding out and checking on a motorcycle, is in order. We have grown old and are now looking into ELR shooting as a new challenge. Are there any good options out there to a top notch spotting scope? We are looking at moving out to a mile plus, as we have a .50 cal. Are there reliable cameras or other options to precision spotting scopes.
Manic Mike

I have an older Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80, and it's a great scope, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the Viper HD or better.

If money is no object, look up Kowa.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
drone or remote camera would be my thinking

If you're not in a match you can use a scoped rifle (shooting buddy) for spotting. We've done it out to 2500 yds with no issues assumng the target environment provides adequate splash to spot misses. Depending on what you are using as a target hit indicator lights or a target cam can make verifying hits at distance more reliable especially when you get beyond 2000 yds. A decent new ELR spotting scope is going to run between 1200 to 5000+. For a spotting scope I use a KOWA Prominar 88 20 x 60. Its clear and bright and comparable to a Swaro or NF however it does not have a reticle. Best advise for a spotting scope is look at the reviews, attend a few long range matches and look through as many as you can. Then pick the one that best suits your needs and pocketbook.