• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

spotting scope pricing/quality question

GUNNER10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2005
Va
Hey, have a question for some of you guys with much more experience on spotters than I do. The question that I have is whats up with the insane pricing on spotting scopes. A little back ground, I’ve shot USO’s, Leupold mk4’s, NF’s have been a constant in my stable for the past two years, I have access to S&B’s and the new 34mm leupold mk4 ER/T at work, so I have had the chance to look through a lot of high end scope, and in my opinion I really don’t see a profound($1000 +) difference in any specific scope, I can honestly say that I have never really walked away wowing a certain scopes feature or glass quality.

With that being said, for spotting targets when out the range for friends I have traditionally used my NF 8-32 NSX and its been fine at picking up impacts all the way out to 1000 yards on steel, recently I decided to look into getting a spotter, and it seems that pretty what I am reading, that your looking to spend at least 1500 and up to 5000 for a quality spotter with milling recitcal.
Now thinking back to some of the high end scopes that I have messed with in the past and the features that they offered (zero stops, illumination, great track)how are spotters more expensive considering they are simpler in nature(no turrets, illum,ect) its just a larger body with say 20 percent larger glass and an etched rectical, what gives?
This past week I picked up an old m49 and took it out to the one of the firing positions today and was checking it out, and had no problems picking up bullet impacts on steel at around 1000 yards. For a 60 year old scope, I have to say, it held its own for spotting impacts compared to some of the high end scopes I have experience with at almost a tenth of the price. I can honestly say that I was impressed with it. Tomorrow I am going to compare it to our mk4 spotters, and just kind of see how things look.
In understanding that it doesn’t have a ranging rectical or variable power, which would be nice for correction calls in mils or MOA,but it seems as if it can fulfill my needs, spotting for friends, in the mountains of WV, out to 1000 yards on steel) what would I be gaining by going to a more modern design with better glass?

I like high end stuff, have a surgeon 338, custom 300WM in McM stock, LMT MWS, and can see the utility in their pricing, but I just cant squeeze the trigger on a high end spotter

Re: spotting scope pricing/quality question

You don't have to spend several thousand to get a great spotter.

I'm running a Vortex Razor which I picked up for $1200.00 from SWFA's sample list. If you do a little digging around for comparisons, you'll see that it's rated right up there with the alpha glass/class spotters - Swaro, Kowa, etc., but you can pay $3000 - $5000 for those scopes too.

The Razor is a bargain, and can be had with a Mil reticle eye piece which is 30x.

Would buy the Razor again in a heart beat, without looking at anything else. Value for dollars spent it way up there, and the lifetime, no B.S. Vortex warranty backs it up should you ever need it.

I've 2 spotting scope a Leupold Mark IV with TMR reticle and a Zeiss Spotter 45, you can see differences only if you have to do for example a picture at 5000 meters or a video at 2500 meters,or in lowlight conditions like before sunrise or just before sunset, the spotter 45 lens are awesome, but if the goal is to see impact on steel plate till 1300 meters the Leupold Mark IV is the best price/quality

I used to have Leupold 12-40x60. Its good but not enough.
Now, I have both Swarovski 80 HD and Zeiss 85mm, i have to say Zeiss is better. Zeiss gives nicer color.
The best for your bucks??? I would say Razor HD ($1,500??). I would buy it if i didnt buy those two above. I just ran into great deals.:)

It's a great question. I currently have a Swaro 80mm HD and it is spectacular. I worked out a fairly complicated deal for it last year and was able to trade away a lot of stuff that I didn't need, so it wasn't quite as painful as forking out $3500 for a new one. It's the best glass I've looked through and it gets constant use from 10m for indoor air rifle to 1000 yards for Long Range Prone matches. But you are right - with no moving parts, etc, it really seems like they should cost a lot less.

I don't have anything against you people that are rocking $3500 spotters if you can afford it. BUT, I would rather have a high end scope first. Especially with the affordability of other spotters out there. And you can find bargains on very good condition Zeiss and Swaro spotters on ebay almost weekly if you are stuck on one of those two.

I still think a razor hd spotter is hard to beat when you figure the warranty and the availability of a mil/moa eyepiece. I've had the opportunity to look through a Zeiss. Great spotter, but, good luck finding an eyepiece for one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have anything against you people that are rocking $3500 spotters if you ou can afford it. BUT, I would rather have a high scope first. Especially with the affordability of other spotter s out there. And you can find bargains on very good condition zeiss and swaro spotters on ebay almost weekly if you are stuck on one of those two.

I still think a razor hd spotter is hard to beat when you figure the warranty and the availability of a mil/moa eyepiece. I've had the opportunity to look through a Zeiss. Great spotter, but, good luck finding an eyepiece for one. </div></div>

True for some, but it will really depend on what you are going to do with it. I have some extremely nice rifle scopes, but I really don't shoot scoped rifles anymore. Almost all of the shooting I do is with rifles without optics and the spotter is the only tool I have to see the target and more importantly, read mirage. The Swaro spotter is capable of picking up mirage in conditions when lesser scopes can't, and that is a huge advantage during matches when most everyone else has lesser scopes.

I took last year off of shooting matches due to some torn painful tendons in my ankle which got swen back together in December, instead of shooting I ROed matches around Texas, at first I used my Clestron 80, then barrowed what was available, including a Ziess Spotter 60, now lets just say the Spotter 60 is the best of the best, not only is it built like a tank but the glass is truely breath taking, but at 6k I can not justify the cost, the Leupold Mk4 is pretty good, I like that the reticle is in the FFP, but the Vortex Razor is what I chose, the glass IMHO is better than the Leupold, and not just slightly, and maybe a tad better than the Swaro I used, I picked up a used fixed 30x Mil eye piece, I highly recommend you check out the Razor, it's a great piece of gear.

Got 12-40 Mark4 with Horus 32. In daylight resolution test, i was able to see same details from testboard 300m away with Zeiss Diascope 65 with fixed 30x ocular.

Still happy with Leupy as overall package. Compact and rugged scope. Only thing Im regretting is H32, its more or less useless in most of practical spotting situations.

Man I guess I need to start saving my lunch money, I guess I'm the only one thinking 1500 for a spotting scope is a lot. I was looking at the vortex diamondback to make 300yd holes easier to see but it sounds like the razor hd is really worth the extra dough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1slow01z71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man I guess I need to start saving my lunch money, I guess I'm the only one thinking 1500 for a spotting scope is a lot. I was looking at the vortex diamondback to make 300yd holes easier to see but it sounds like the razor hd is really worth the extra dough. </div></div>

Nope you're not alone in that. I've been looking long and hard for a good spotter for under $600 or so.

The Nikon 50 ED gets very high praise in a small scope. I asked a similar question over at the LRH Forum. For my needs (range work and hunting to 600 yards or so) I was directed to look at the Vortex 20-60 HD and the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20-60.

One more that I was told to give consideration was the Pentax PF80 ED, but I would have to buy used.

Best I can tell, the Razor is huge bang for the buck and can easily be considered 95%-98% of a $3000 spotter based on what has been said about them.

What I need is a spotter that is 90% to 95% of the Razor.

According to the guys at LRH the aforementioned scopes will get the job done.

Good information over on some of the birding forums too.

I plan to get a razor one day but I need something for the next few years.

Good question.

The Bushnell 20-60x80 Legend Ultra HD is very good for the money... ED glass for less than $500. It's big, but it's bright and clear.

Joe

The one thing that I think I can add to this is that some of the scopes the real differences can't be seen but felt. I have spent literally days at a time looking through a spotting scope and I have noticed that the higher end scopes will fatigue your eye a lot less than the cheaper scopes. The difference in a MK4 compared to a swaro might not look like it would be worth the price difference but spend several hours looking through it and your eye will tell you the difference.

For tactical use:

I need a reticle.
I need decent glass. I want good glass.
I need a compact form factor.

That leaves:

Bushnell Excursion
USO
Leupold Mk4
Zeiss spotter 45/60

The razor is not a compact form factor.
The USO eye relief is heinous

I have the excursion. For $350, its a helluva deal. Glass is exactly "decent". Mildot reticle is exactly decent.

My partner and I just ordered a MK4 inverted with H32 reticle.

We had the recent opportunity to compare the excursion, mk4 and spotter 60 side by side. The mk4 is a SOLID step up from the excursion in glass quality and obviously, the h32 is far superior for accurate milling compared to a mildot. The spotter 60 glass was not a solid step up from the mk4, THOUGH WE WEREN'T TESTING IN LOW LIGHT, NOR DID WE HAVE AN IDEAL ITEM TO FOCUS ON AND STUDY. The Zeiss reticle is no better than the $350 excursion....a serious drawback to the spotter 60.

Swaro, Kowa, celestion etc etc make fine scopes, but no reticle means no consideration for my/our purposes.

with spotting scopes, your looking at a lot more glass, magnification etc, all your lacking is adjustments, and while they are important, glass and prisims are the expensive part of the optic. clarity and resolution are paramount, so i would invest in the best possible glass.

I have been using a Zen ED2 spotting scope for over a year. It is about $1200. I have compared to Kowa and Swarovski. Yes, they are slightly better, but not much. It is the same build as Vortex Razor so I can actually mount 30X Razor reticled EP to my ZEN ED2 spotter.
http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/spottingscopes/zenspotter82-angled.html

Edit: they have a $200 discount that expires 9/30/2012. Code: BFLRH. Not sure if it is still working.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cloudt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using a Zen ED2 spotting scope for over a year. It is about $1200. I have compared to Kowa and Swarovski. Yes, they are slightly better, but not much. It is the same build as Vortex Razor so I can actually mount 30X Razor reticled EP to my ZEN ED2 spotter.
http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/spottingscopes/zenspotter82-angled.html

Edit: they have a $200 discount that expires 9/30/2012. Code: BFLRH. Not sure if it is still working. </div></div>

I totally agree about the Zen-Ray ED2 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope. I have compared it to the Vortex Razor and it is every bit as good.

I just checked the "BFLRH" code is no longer valid on the Zen-Ray site.

I was lucky and got my Zen-Ray ED2 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope through Wayfair.com for about $900 last year.

spotting glass is just like the rifle scope.....the better you get used to the better you want.....
i`ve owned several lower end spotter and now use a Kowa 821...w-27x eye piece....
i`ve seen`m used for 850$.....keep looking..... buy good and cry once...you won`t regret it.....
that way every time you look thru it you`ll smile....

bill larson

I have a 65mm Swaro that I use for hunting and the range. Opted against the 80mm since I was trying to limit the weight and bulk in the pack when humping in the mountains. The clarity and light gathering capabilities are excellent although probably higher with the 80mm. Previously had a Leupold Mk4 and it didn't comes close to the Swaro for brightness and clarity. Never looked through a Zeiss but generally can't go wrong with their optics. For field glass pretty hard to beat Swaro. Their binocs and rangefinder are top drawer and very rugged and you really notice the difference in low light conditions. I bought most of my glass several years ago and the prices have increased substantially over the past couple of years.

The Bushnell 20-60x80 Legend Ultra HD is very good for the money... ED glass for less than $500. It's big, but it's bright and clear.

Joe

Dittos. I can't say enough good about Bushnell Legend Ultra HD glass. So so so blown away by them. I would think they are 4 times their cost. Interestingly I never hear anyone talk much about the Ultra HD series, and nobody seems to know much about them either.

Dittos. I can't say enough good about Bushnell Legend Ultra HD glass. So so so blown away by them. I would think they are 4 times their cost. Interestingly I never hear anyone talk much about the Ultra HD series, and nobody seems to know much about them either.

I owned the smaller Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 12-36x50 for a little over a year. Was not impressed with the glass or the eye relief or field of view. The table tripod that it came with was essentially a throwaway that wobbled in the wind. I did like the dual focus knobs and compact size however. Not sure if the two are drastically different but I felt the price was only fair for the quality of the product. Nothing spectacular, except when comparing against cheapo 100-200 dollar spotters.

Traded it back to SWFA, the following year and picked up the Pentax PF-65ed body and got a fixed 39x eyepiece from the larger PF-80ed series since they're interchangable. Ridiculously better image quality and huge FOV for the magnification. Picked up a tabletop SLIK tripod all for just under $1k. My friend liked it so much he bought one in the same body and eyepiece combo.

Agreed, really nice glass for the $$. Really the only downsides are the large size and lack of reticle, IMO.