• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Spotting Scope Question??

Colorado Luckydog

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2012
I'm getting ready to buy a spotting scope and I'm doing my homework. I will be using it mainly at the range. I may take it out hunting but that will be it's secondary use if it happens. What will be better, an angled scope or a straight scope? Is it just personal preference or does one offer an advantage over the other? Thanks!

For prone angled is the way to go.

I have never used a straight but I see lots of folks with them at the range (ie when shooting from a bench), having said that I use my angled there too and it works great.

I've had both and prefer a straight scope. It's easier for me to find my target when I can go from looking at it to looking through the scope. Going down on an angled one fucks me all up.

They say the angled ones are better for high angle stuff like bird watching or mountain goat finding. That's probably true, but I still prefer the straight ones.

I like straight personally but angled certainly has its pros.
For prone or multiple users(especially different of heights) angled is the way to go