• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotting scope questions

jw1911

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
Hartselle, Alabama, USA
i am looking for a good -inexpensive- spotting scope with a mildot reticle. I can't seem to find anything via internet searches and i have never used a mildot for range estimation and would like to acquire this skill. I also would like to know if any one has a "cheat sheet" for ranging. I would just buy a scope but i intend to sit around playing with it and practicing and i think a spotting scope would be more convenient for this and fit what i want. Plus it'd just be good to have one. Once i get better i'll buy a high quality one.

thanks for any advice and input.

Re: Spotting scope questions

Search for Bushnell FFP spotter.
Mine turned out fine , however some have found black spots or water in them.
You would probably be better off putting that money towards a quality rifle scope,and learning while practicing the fundimentals.

For another option try the Shooter ready program and pracice ranging and wind at a computer.

Re: Spotting scope questions

It is good to practice without the aid of a "cheat sheet," but that being said, get a MilDot Master. The various ballistic programs also have range estimators built in. I am using both Ballistic and Bulletflight on my iPod and they work great for this. You just enter the target size and mils covered and get the range.

As far as low cost spotters with reticles, the Bushnell is about the only game in town, but do pay attention to the problems some have been having. If the first bacth is an indication you have about an 80% chance of getting a good one. If you do, I think people are happy with those.