• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotting Scope questions

HSPrecision

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2006
Virginia
I want to purchase a spotting scope but i need some knowledge laid on me. I do not know enough about them to make a decision on what is best for my needs. I am a believer in buy once, cry once so I've decided it should be along the lines of USO, Swarovski, Leica, Nikon or if Leupy gets raves then ill give it a go. I mainly shoot 500yds and under and more specifically around 300yds. So will a 15-40x like the USO allow me to see holes in paper 300-500yds? Prices range so wildly im trying to figure out what will do for my needs. I would rather pay the 1K or so for the USO than the 2K plus for the Leica or the Swarovski but if I need a 20-60x power then ill fork out the dough. Im just looking for some guidance by those who know more about them. Thanks

~2ND

Re: Spotting Scope questions

2ndChance, I have been in the same thought mode recently. I have a good 20x that
at one time was good to 300 for me but the eyes are not there anymore. I have
noticed it is really hard to get SOA specs on anything but top glass. Which kinda
tells me the cheaper stuff just won't resolve very well so they don't advertise it.

Dont forget to check out Zeiss. They make a top notch spotter.
I run Zeiss Diascope 65T FL with a 23 power fixed eye piece.
Ive compared it to everything on the market and its as good or
better than anything out there. Very rugged, compact and non reflective.

I can see bullet holes(7mm)@ 500 yds. with my nightforce scope,I have a NXS 5.5 x 22.If all you want to do is see bullet holes from that distance or less,you might just want to spend the money on a better scope.Just a thought.I am also shooting on white targets,wich makes it easier to see,if you are shooting at black targets,you will definately need a good spotting scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see bullet holes(7mm)@ 500 yds. with my nightforce scope,I have a NXS 5.5 x 22.If all you want to do is see bullet holes from that distance or less,you might just want to spend the money on a better scope.Just a thought.I am also shooting on white targets,wich makes it easier to see,if you are shooting at black targets,you will definately need a good spotting scope. </div></div>

+1 to that. If any farther get an actual spotting scope.

I have a few sn3's. But they don't swap one gun to another. 224 holes @ 200 is about max for my eyes now with a 20x. Switching to the splat type targets is one option I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2nd Chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to purchase a spotting scope but i need some knowledge laid on me. </div></div>

Read the article here: http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html

I use and recommend the Pentax PF80ED.

If you're shooting a scoped rifle, then your "need" for a spotting scope should be greatly diminished. If you're shooting irons, then a spotter is a must.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I use a nightforce 3.5-15x50 and i just think it is time shell out the coin and get a spotting scope. Most of the targets are either paper or white painted steel, sometimes its tannerite or water jugs, but i tend to know when i hit those.

~2ND

Google some articles about it.I couldn't say because I was researching the PF-100 as compared to the other 80mm scopes.