• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope recommendations

Jethro3898

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Dothan, AL
Guys, my father has said that he is interested in a spotting scope for Christmas. My mother has asked me to pick one out for him.

I know zero about spotting scopes. In fact, the only one I ever tried to use turned me off from them because it was virtually impossible to get the eye relief right. I will admit, this was likely a VERY cheap model considering who's it was.

Anyways, my mother gave me a budget if about $1k to work with. She would prefer to spend less because she also wants to get him some other item he showed interest in, but I told her that decent spotting scopes would not be cheap.

My dad doesn't need a reticle in the spotter and he can buy his own tripod later. He just got into shooting at distance, so he isn't into tactical shooting comps or anything like that.....just having fun at the range (100 to 1000 yards) off bench and prone. In what I could search out on the boards, it seems an angled spotter is the way to go. Pentax and Vortex Viper HD popped up a lot. Everything else seemed out of the price range. I would assume a 20-60 would be best considering my dad's eyesight. Weight and length really isn't an issue since it won't be packed anywhere.

I'm just looking for a few suggestions on a decent spotter that fits the budget. My only request is that it has reasonable eye relief or is at least a little forgiving.

Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry if I missed some kind of detail.

Tapatalk via Samsung Galaxy S4

Sounds like a 20-60 of a good brand is what will suit him the best. Olot of people love the Vortex HD. I hear good about the pentax as well.

I love my Leupold compact 15-30 spotter. I can carry it in the field use it at the range and its perfect for me. I was spotting a few days ago for a friend shooting my 6.5 CM at 500 yds and I could see all his hits on paper. Good enough for me.

20-60 is nice though when you can use it.

Good luck and hope he enjoys!

Creedmoor Sports has a holiday package deal going on. Its a bit north of your budget at +/- $1400 but you get a Kowa 82 SV scope wit a 25X long eye relief eye piece. You get a great scope stand with three rods that can be used for everything from prone, to bench to off hand. Tou get storage bags for all your gear. Its a good complete package with good quality gear.

The price though.

With a $1K budget look at one of these

Remote Video Spotting System 775-852-9449 Target Camera TargetCam

Great for those with "old eyes". Just set the camera up near the target (out of the line of fire preferably) and see you hits as if you were standing right there on the monitor at the bench. Works out to 2500 yards and starts at $785. If you're going to go out and set up a target, just set up the camera at the same time.

If you are unsure of one's ability to "miss" the camera just pick up a square steel target plate and set it up as a protective "lean-to" between the camera and the shooting position.

That's all good but it cant replace the spotter. Its hard to read mirage with that or what if your shooting multiple targets. It would be nice to have though. No doubt

+1. Konus makes a good budget scope. I wouldn't spend a ton on a spotting scope if you don't absolutely need the best and would invest the extra on optics for the rifle ;-)

That's all good but it cant replace the spotter. Its hard to read mirage with that or what if your shooting multiple targets. It would be nice to have though. No doubt

First, you don't use the camera for sighting and mirage can be read from your own scope (just use a mirage band on the barrel to make sure you're reading downrange mirage. Second, this unit can handle up to 4 targets.

If I can avoid buying another scope or barrel this next year I'm adding one of these to my gear.

Look at the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD in 20-60x80. I just traded a vortex Viper XD in for one, & am VERRY IMPRESSED with it. For under $500 you get HD Flourite glass, BaK4 prism and a waterproof fog proof scope. Creedmore can make a cover for it too for about $30. I don't think you will be disappointed.

With a $1K budget look at one of these

Remote Video Spotting System 775-852-9449 Target Camera TargetCam

Great for those with "old eyes". Just set the camera up near the target (out of the line of fire preferably) and see you hits as if you were standing right there on the monitor at the bench. Works out to 2500 yards and starts at $785. If you're going to go out and set up a target, just set up the camera at the same time.

If you are unsure of one's ability to "miss" the camera just pick up a square steel target plate and set it up as a protective "lean-to" between the camera and the shooting position.

What if you decide to shoot at a different target? What if you are going to shoot for longer than the battery life of the unit? What if you forgot to charge the battery after the last time you used it? What if you are shooting in light conditions where you can't see the screen? What if you are shooting in rain/snow/sleet? What if you want to look at something besides the target you set up the camera on?

What if you decide to shoot at a different target? What if you are going to shoot for longer than the battery life of the unit? What if you forgot to charge the battery after the last time you used it? What if you are shooting in light conditions where you can't see the screen? What if you are shooting in rain/snow/sleet? What if you want to look at something besides the target you set up the camera on?
While a target camera may not be the best solution those conditions, if you want to be able to spot hits on a single target at a great distance, a target cam will work in conditions where no spotting scope will, period.

Joe

Guys, my father has said that he is interested in a spotting scope for Christmas. My mother has asked me to pick one out for him.

I know zero about spotting scopes. In fact, the only one I ever tried to use turned me off from them because it was virtually impossible to get the eye relief right. I will admit, this was likely a VERY cheap model considering who's it was.

Anyways, my mother gave me a budget if about $1k to work with. She would prefer to spend less because she also wants to get him some other item he showed interest in, but I told her that decent spotting scopes would not be cheap.

My dad doesn't need a reticle in the spotter and he can buy his own tripod later. He just got into shooting at distance, so he isn't into tactical shooting comps or anything like that.....just having fun at the range (100 to 1000 yards) off bench and prone. In what I could search out on the boards, it seems an angled spotter is the way to go. Pentax and Vortex Viper HD popped up a lot. Everything else seemed out of the price range. I would assume a 20-60 would be best considering my dad's eyesight. Weight and length really isn't an issue since it won't be packed anywhere.

I'm just looking for a few suggestions on a decent spotter that fits the budget. My only request is that it has reasonable eye relief or is at least a little forgiving.

Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry if I missed some kind of detail.

I've read some very favorable reviews of the Zen-Ray ED2 20-60x82, some rate it comparable to the $1600 (street price, $2k list) Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85.
Cameraland has them listed for $800 on closeout, but they had a special running a month ago for $750, and I would bet that if you tell 'em you're an SH member, they'll honor that price.
Zen Ray - CameraLand NY
I am not 100% sure but I remember reading that the Vortex Razor wide angle 30x eyepiece with reticle (available in MOA and mil) fits the spotter body and subtends properly.
Please don't take my word for it, research the eyepiece compatibility yourself, and definitely read up on the Zen-Ray.

If I had not already gotten my hands on a Vortex Razor HD, I would buy the Zen-Ray.

If you have not dealt with Cameraland NY yet, I can assure you they are great to deal with.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys. To help someone who might read this thread later, I contacted Doug at Cameraland and told him I had narrowed it down to the Zen-Ray ED2 and the Vortex Viper HD (both angled and 20-60x). He said that he felt the better of the two (and that fit my criteria of price and features) was the Vortex offering.
Price was identical either way and he said that he felt my father would be happier with the Vortex.

Thanks again for all of the input, and I recommend sending Doug a PM or giving him a call if you have any questions.

A good combination for under $1k would be our TargetCam system along with one of the budget spotters like the Konus 20-60X80 or the Celestron Ultima 80. Having both our system and a spotter set up works very well.