• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope search

redbullitt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Wv
Looking for a spotting scope, FFP with mil reticle.

Really like the leupold mk4 40x top end model. Something like that size, power range, weight, reticle etc.

Prefer something smallish and straight through, already have a big objective angled one, but its a bit too big for hauling around I don't have a straight through yet.

Anyone have some ideas for alternatives i should be looking at?

How about a place to get a mk4 thats not 1900.00 bucks?

I've heard mostly positive things about the Bushnell Legend T series, looks like a really good option for the money.

Otherwise used Mark 4's pop up for sale on here fairly often for a lot less than $1,900. They're basically bomb proof and have lifetime warranties.

I saw that bushnell you mentioned, but found sorta mixed reviews concerning quality control. It looks like a very good option if you get a good one. Anyone have any experience with it?

Yeah... thats kinda how i landed on the mk4.... size and shape are very favorable. Now just have to find one lol.

I’ve used the Swarovski STR 80. The reticle feature is designed really well. However, the glass quality is from the STS/ATS generation. The current generation of glass quality in the STX/ATX series is hard to give up. It depends on how much of a priority the reticle is to you. From my perspective, if you want the spotting scope primarily for hunting I’d give up the reticle and go STX/ATX. If you want it for primarily practicing long range shooting then go STR. In hunting scenarios with a shooter and spotter, I believe it’s better for the spotter to have a tripod mounted 15X binocular. Because their role entails more than calling second shot corrections and generally that’s better served with being able to use both eyes with a wider field of view.

I saw that bushnell you mentioned, but found sorta mixed reviews concerning quality control. It looks like a very good option if you get a good one. Anyone have any experience with it?

Yeah... thats kinda how i landed on the mk4.... size and shape are very favorable. Now just have to find one lol.
The Bushnell LMSS is the only one I'd consider and they are still only ok. The focus is a little touchy and CA is noticeable. Size and shape are its real pros.

In hunting scenarios with a shooter and spotter, I believe it’s better for the spotter to have a tripod mounted 15X binocular. Because their role entails more than calling second shot corrections and generally that’s better served with being able to use both eyes with a wider field of view.
I've largely transitioned to a Swaro 15x bino for everything from long range glassing, to spotting, to RO'ing. I get way less eye fatigue, way more FOV, better depth, and I can see trace better. A reticle is nice but not necessary in all situations. I really don't pull out a spotter unless I'm making a decision about whether or not I am about to go for a hike.

Reactions: Kalthoff
Looking for a spotting scope, FFP with mil reticle.

Really like the leupold mk4 40x top end model. Something like that size, power range, weight, reticle etc.

Prefer something smallish and straight through, already have a big objective angled one, but its a bit too big for hauling around I don't have a straight through yet.

Anyone have some ideas for alternatives i should be looking at?

How about a place to get a mk4 thats not 1900.00 bucks?
Are you active mil/leo or have a DD214? Leupold has an excellent discount program if you do.

Leupold does the discount for vets? I thought it was only active mil/leo...
Nope, any DD214 will do. I did my six year hitch in USAF and like an idiot didn’t stay in for the 20. All good and got the discount.

RCBS also has a program for vets and you don’t need to be active or retired. Just served.

Vortex, however, is diff. If I recall correctly, active or retired only but don’t quite me on that.

Reactions: Gustav7
Unfortunately no leupold discount here... thats a nice cut there. Good on them!

I have the Bushnell 14-45 with reticle and absolutely love it. I was worried about the reviews of QC as well, but mine is great. Easy to use and not to strenuous on the eyes.
tempImageUn4ibq.jpg

Reactions: Maddog51