• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotting scope specs

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
What specs do I need to look for in a spotting scope that will be used for shooting out to a 1000 yds? Any recommendations that you have for a particular model are welcomed. I keep reading good things about the new Bushnell with the mil-dot reticle. I am looking for the best bang for the buck. And probably most importantly, how necessary is it to have a spotting scope when shooting to a 1000 yds. I have never used on in shooting out to 300, but notice that many others seem to.

Re: Spotting scope specs

I think it would be helpful if you explain WHAT or HOW you are shooting to 1000 yards. If you are thinking you will see you bullet holes at 1000 yards, I sure hope you are shooting a 20mm rifle of some kind.

If you are shooting in competition, you may want to enquire of your fellow shooters; if it's F-class and they are using a spotting scope, it's usually to watch the mirage at an intermediate distance, anyone who cannot see the scoring disk and the spotting disk through his riflescope in F-class is not someone you want to imitate. If you are shooting Palma or Service Rifle then your scope will let you see the results on the target.

If it's somethign different, please tell us.

I am looking at shooting 1000yd matches at my club. I am not sure if they are F class or what they are considered.

The ability to not see the bullet holes is part of my confusion since I understand that I would not be able to do this. What do I need the spotting scope for?

F-class is a shooting discipline that allows the use of optics on the rifle, shooting from 300 to 1000 yards.

Most all other shooting disciplines that shoot at 1000 yards, excluding benchrest, only allow for iron sights.

So, if you are going to participate in 1000 yard matches at your club, it would be worthwhile to find out what you are intending to shoot. There are not that many 1000 yard ranges in Texas (or anywhere else,) so perhaps if you told us where you are located, we can figure it out for you. (Would it not be funny if you were in the Houston area?)

The 1000 yard competitons are usually prone, slow fire. Each shot is scored by the target puller so you can see the impact and the value of the shot using optics, either on your rifle or a spotting scope.

Good luck to you.

Sig685,

I am in the Houston area. If you have access to a 1000yds, I would suspect that you are shooting at Bayou. If you participate in the 1000yd matches there, I would greatly appreciate in any put that you have.

How much do you want to spend?

Cheapy spotting scopes at $300-$500 or so are disappointing to use.To me a spotting scope has at least got to be clearer than my rifle scopes and not cause eye strain either.

The best I've heard of for the money is the Pentax PF-80ED 20-60x at around a $1000.Always good reviews and comparable to Leica,Swaro,Zeiss.

I've got a PF 100ED 26-78x that is fantasticly clear and even more so BRIGHT.At $1700 it was the best bang for the buck to me.It's a monster though but I don't trek around with it.

Next step up is the KOWA prominar $2500 or Zeiss tactical spotter $5000.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig685,

I am in the Houston area. If you have access to a 1000yds, I would suspect that you are shooting at Bayou. If you participate in the 1000yd matches there, I would greatly appreciate in any put that you have. </div></div>

So, are you going to shoot F-Class or iron sights? If it's F-class, PM me; if it's iron sights, it's been a very long time since I have shoot @ 1000 yards, but I know a lot of people who do that. Best thing to do is come to a match.