• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting Scope stand/head advice needed

LR338nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Umitilla County, Or
Im going to purchase a Leupold MK4 spotting scope but I would like a stand/tripod with a head that allows me to cant the scope once im on target so that I can square up the reticle if I am on uneven ground. The one I like the most so far is by Creedmoor http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Creedmoor_Stands/ ,but I dont think it will allow me to cant the scope.
Anyone out there know of a tripod/stand head that will work for what I want?

Re: Spotting Scope stand/head advice needed

I have used Creedmoor and Freelands in the past and liked them both. I currently use a Manfrotto tripod and 322RC2 grip action ball head and really like this set up better then any I've used for range work.

Will the Manfrotto head work with a freeland stlye stand? I also would like to be able to use it in the prone position, so a tripod isnt going to work too well.

My Manfrotto tripod will go flat with all three legs and the center column inserts into a hole that is perpendicular to the ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harley_jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Manfrotto tripod will go flat with all three legs and the center column inserts into a hole that is perpendicular to the ground. </div></div>

Im having trouble visualizing this, do you have a picture?
I appricicate all the help. I think this is going to be the head that I will get, now I just need the right tripod or stand.

Manfrotto carbon fibre version. Light as can be. More costly but worth the weight savings. It also fits on my backpack. I cant remember which head it is but it has a handle you squeeze and can move it all over. It is also ambi which was important for this lefty. As mentioned earlier it can get really low by the fact the center pole can be made horizontal to the ground.

If you are shooting high power, then the stands by creedmore and giraud are designed for that purpose. But for a variety of applications, i like my carbon fiber manfrotto

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harley_jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Manfrotto tripod will go flat with all three legs and the center column inserts into a hole that is perpendicular to the ground. </div></div>

Im having trouble visualizing this, do you have a picture?
I appricicate all the help. I think this is going to be the head that I will get, now I just need the right tripod or stand. </div></div>

Give this thread a try; lots of pictures:

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2992434

Manfrotto.
DroidPics033.jpg

Take a look at this one ... I have my laser range finder and a Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope. and the Seller is GTG. Link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at this one ... I have my laser range finder and a Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope. and the Seller is GTG. Link </div></div>

I have one of these, and everyone that shoots with me says its the best they have seen. Its not cheap, but I have a Mk4 spotter and a Vectronix terrapin on it and its a great setup. Not to mention Dave Is an awesome guy to work with.

Bill

Yes .. I have purchased things with Dave before -- his customer service is fantastic. However the product sells itself -- very compact and well built.

I just bought the Mark 4 with 12-40 and the TMR. A good deal on cheaper than dirt. I don't think that you should worry so much about the stand though. as long as it is short, and the head can cant to one side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paradude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought the Mark 4 with 12-40 and the TMR. A good deal on cheaper than dirt. I don't think that you should worry so much about the stand though. as long as it is short, and the head can cant to one side. </div></div>

Actually if you are using the spotter to find targets the tripod and head play a huge part in that if it does not track smooth and has huge backlash, you will be doing the bump and shift dance to get the reticle on target and will never be able to determine distance. (using the reticle and mildot master etc).

If you are just using it to just look at paper holes then yes it does not matter as much.

However if you want to use it in a tactical format a good tripod is gold.

Thats the one on my link ... hahahahah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at this one ... I have my laser range finder and a Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope. and the Seller is GTG. Link </div></div>

Great kit. Wish i had heard about this before!!!

Ya. I have three tripod sets to get rid of that I tried before I found this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manfrotto.
DroidPics033.jpg
</div></div>
This is exactly what I need. I also shoot BPCR and will have someone else spot for me so I need to be able to use the scope while sitting in a chair and prone. Do you know if all the Manfrotto tripods will tilt over like in the picture? This link was posted earlier and Im ready to purchase it, if it will tilt over for prone. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480296-REG/Manfrotto_BO190XB322RC190XB_Tripod_with_322RC2.html

Mine will lay all 3 lower legs flat on the ground. The center section comes out and goes in the horizontal hole for 90 degrees to the ground.

I use a slik tripod, like PRS uses for their rifle rests. So far, so good, not the best, but it works.