• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope to replace 10x50mm binoculars???

cuz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
Hi,
I'm looking for a spotting scope to replace my Leupold 10x50 binoculars for mostly range use, and at PRS matches and any other use. Looking for decent quality, with a range close to the 10x and upward from there.

I'm currently considering these models:
- Vortex Razor HD 13-39x56
- Athlon Cronus G2 UHD 7-42x60
- Athlon ARES G2 UHD 15-45x65
- Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60
- Leupold GR 12-40x60

Anyone have experience with any of them? Are there others I should also be considering? Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks.

I've used a fair bit:
  • Vortex Razor HD 27-60 (also with the 22x mil eyepiece), it was gloriously clear, you could see sheets of mirage but the 27x as a minimum was just way too much I found while the 22 was a bit awkward also. It was enormous in a day pack, quite heavy and the angled eyepiece was pretty savage after a weekend behind it. Great spotter, the straight eyepiece perhaps would have been a totally different experience.

• Horus Vision HoVr 6.5-40x50 with Tremor 4, it's a good spotter, the mag range is 6-40 or something much more useful. The cover is trash and has no provision for glass covers. I use this fairly often.

• Leupold Mk4 12-40x60 with TMR reticle . This is my current go-to for matches. It's not enormous and has reasonable glass.

• Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50, also not too bad. Very compact. The micro focus adjuster is excellent.

• Bushnell LMSS 8-40x60. I found the eyebox to be quite restrictive on these, really wanted to love it... Struggled to find focus. Not sure about it which is a shame because they're the slimmest and most packable reticle spotter around.

My biggest suggestions are to go a straight eyepiece to save your neck after a day of gawking... And to have an optic with a minimum magnification of about 10-15x so you can see roughly what bino's can see for a wide FOV before jumping behind the rifle.

Hi,
I'm looking for a spotting scope to replace my Leupold 10x50 binoculars for mostly range use, and at PRS matches and any other use. Looking for decent quality, with a range close to the 10x and upward from there.

- Leupold GR 12-40x60

Anyone have experience with any of them? Are there others I should also be considering? Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks.

If you've been using Binos I'd suggest you look at some 15x56 Binos as well as the spotters.

Reactions: camocorvette
If you've been using Binos I'd suggest you look at some 15x56 Binos as well as the spotters.
Thanks, but I want to move away from binos and get something with the ability to zoom. I would like the low end to mimic binoculars in about the 10x range, give or take, and also the ability to zoom up to spotting scope magnification in the 30-40x range. Not really looking much past 500 yards, so don't need high end magnification, plus, I already have a Vortex 20-60x85 spotter.

I'm looking to split the difference between the 10x50 binoculars and the 20-60x85 spotter so I only need to bring 1 rather than both to the range.

Reactions: LR1845
My biggest suggestions are to go a straight eyepiece to save your neck after a day of gawking... And to have an optic with a minimum magnification of about 10-15x so you can see roughly what bino's can see for a wide FOV before jumping behind the rifle.
I second this suggestion. My first spotting scope was a Kowa with and angled eyepiece. I got this for high power rifle competition.

It was good for that style of shooting and for all three positions; standing, sitting and prone. The stand that it's mounted on is a straight shaft with a fold up base and heavy bottom weight.

I tell you all this because the angled eyepiece was great to get behind with minimal strain and movement to see markers on the target for the high power competition.

I got the Vortex Razr with the angled eyepiece, thinking that it would be the best option. Because I was use to the angled eyepiece I thought I made the best choice.

A friend got the Vortex Razr with the straight eye piece. When you don't know what you don't know you think that what you have is the best.

Once I tried his scope with the straight eye piece, the clouds parted, the sun shined and the angelic choir sang the hallelujah chorus! Shooting precision rifles in prone position or benched is so much better with the straight eye piece.

Hi,

- Leupold GR 12-40x60

Thanks.
Kowa TSN 554 15-45x55 DEMO sale for only $1399.99 right now at Cameraland regular price $1999.00.

I've seen them at B&H Photo for $1499 brand new last time they had a sale and free shipping. Might want to call them to get a price quote over the phone and also call Scott at Liberty Optics.

This Kowa is in fact night and day clearer with pure fluorite glass and far superior quality compared to your Vortex Razor 20-60x85 G1 spotter. Don't let it's relatively cheap price fool you, this one punches right into top of the line Swarovski territory for only a fraction of the cost, it's really no joke.

It extremely compact and weighs about the same as your Leupold binoculars give or take one or two ounces at around 28 or so ounces believe it or not.

After buying this Kowa you'll probably want to immediately sell your Vortex Razor spotter and get the bigger brother of this Kowa which also uses Fluorite glass. I think Cameraland might still have some DEMO sale Kowa TSN 884 25-60x88 for $2299 or go for the gutso for $3000 with free shipping for the ultimate Swarovski killer, the Kowa TSN 99S 30-70x99 at Liberty Optics maybe B&H or Cameraland can also match that sale price best to call all of them first.

Best of all many save you even more $$$ not charging added out of state tax onto your high dollar purchases.

Thanks for all the above info, after reviewing it, and with size/weight/budget in mind, I've refined the list I'm considering.

I'm now focusing on basically just these models:
- Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50
- Leupold GR 12-40x60

If anyone has any direct experience with the two Vortex models, I'd like to know how they compare to each other. Best I can tell is that the 11-33x50 version is an older model, is that true? Only considering straight profile.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the above info, after reviewing it, and with size/weight/budget in mind, I've refined the list I'm considering.

I'm now focusing on basically just these models:
- Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50
- Leupold GR 12-40x60

If anyone has any direct experience with the two Vortex models, I'd like to know how they compare to each other. Best I can tell is that the 11-33x50 version is an older model, is that true? Only considering straight profile.

Thanks.
If these are the final 3 I'd go with the gold ring...If you have a bass pro, scheels ECT near you most of these stores will take you outside so you can look through them...at least here in Nevada they will.

I'll echo some of the above that a 15x bino with a reticle will be a better tool for matches but if you are set on a spotter then get the new Vortex 13-39x spotter so if it takes a fall at a match you can get it fixed easy enough.

I'll echo some of the above that a 15x bino with a reticle will be a better tool for matches but if you are set on a spotter then get the new Vortex 13-39x spotter so if it takes a fall at a match you can get it fixed easy enough.
Thanks, I wonder why that new Vortex doesn't have a reticle of some sort. That would make it perfect.
Maybe that's in store for next year...

Why are they better?

You don’t fatigue the shit out of your eye and give yourself a headache glassing all day. Plus FOV that will often cover all of the targets in a stage without having to move.

10 years ago if you went to a match you’d see a bunch of spotting scopes on tripods, or it’s binos for good reason. Few use spotters anymore.

Reactions: LR1845