• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes spotting scope tripods

mikieg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2008
sapulpa oklahoma
i am looking to buy 2 new tripods this year. one to hold the 80mm range queen, and one to use in the field in the spotter's position. the range one needs to be stout enough to hold the 80mm scope steady. and the fiels tripod needs to be compact and lightweight enough to haul in a ruck. who makes decent tripods and where is a good place (low dollar) to buy said bipod? thanks

Re: spotting scope tripods

For range I went with a Manfrotto.
And for field stuff I picked up a small tripod from platypus here on the hide.
DSC00725.jpg

I use it as a rifle rest(it holds up my M40-A1 just fine).
DSC00726.jpg

But the cradle can be removed and a spotter can be screwed on.

You may want to take a look at the Bogen View Kit. This kit is comprised of the Bogen 701RC2 fluid head and the Bogen 055V tripod. This kit offers the best of both worlds: tall and lightweight legs with the feature-packed, heavy-duty 701RC2 fluid head. With a spotter you always want to stick with a fluid head.

A great option for a little tripod is the Vortex Shooting Stand.

<span style="font-style: italic">Here's what Vortex has to say about it.....</span>

Ideal for the shooting range.

With low height and ultra-precise slow motion adjustments, the Shooting Stand is an ideal tripod for use at the shooting range where you can count on steady, solid support for your spotting scope on the shooting bench.

Solid support you can easily pack.

When you need to travel light, or don't need much height, count on the Vortex Shooting Stand for support you can afford to carry. This compact tripod weighs just 1.5 pounds and sets up quickly on a bench, table, or that rocky outcropping from which you'll get a good overview of the land below.
Micro-adjustable focus dials allow for fine tuning of every detail.
Tripod legs adjust in height from 10.8 to 13.3 inches.
Whether you seek the solitude of a wilderness experience or just need a compact tripod for the target range, this is a fine, lightweight alternative to a full-sized tripod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrt53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gitzo carbon fiber. Try B&H photo in N.Y.</div></div>

I doubt he is looking for a $900 tripod for his spotting scope, not that it isn't a good tripod, but for a CF one he can easily get a Flashpoint for $150, a Bogen $250, etc... and then buy 3 for the price of the Gitzo.

Also, I wouldn't waste a dime on a Ewing or Ray Vin, they are not what they appear to be, especially when it comes time to use them, and an 80mm scope will definitely upset that apple cart.

if I wanted to balance as much as possible I would consider a Giotto CF, if I was looking to go that route.

got the tripod platypus is pushin a couple days ago. let me tell you guys, he says he carried one for 11 years as a marine sniper, and still uses the same one today. believe it! this thing is like purpose built for the mission. this thing is bad ass!
+10000000 for platypus

Have a few Manfrotto tripods for camereas and picked up a Manfrotto Modo 785B that I saw at the camera shop the other day.

Has a hybrid joystick head and I have sitting on top a Ziess 85TFL, head could be a little be stronger but doesnt seem a bad little unit to try out given the cost.

Closed length is 43.5 cm (17.1 in)
Minimum height is 17.5 cm (6.9 in)
Maxi meight - is 127cm (50 in) not using centre column
Weight is .98kg (2.16lb)
Leg angles are 23, 45 and 80 Degrees.

I think I paid 140 AUD which is probably a can of Coke in the US

Not a bad little unit, going to massage the centre a column a little to achieve the min height I require as I dont intend really like using the centre column

Manfrotto is the way to go if you insist on quality witout compromises.
AT80HD.jpg

Even our house cat agrees...