• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope vs binos

3of30

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2018
I shot a local PRS style match today, and strongly feel I could use a spotting scope or a set of binos to spot and just observe the general conditions. I also shoot long distance and am finding it hard to see my hits/misses past 1200 yards.

so which would suit my needs better? A set of good binos or a spotting scope?

I would be using it for PRS, long distance shooting, but also hunting.

I have a range finder, so I am not really looking for ranging binos. Also needs to have a reticle.

I have not set a budget yet, probably don’t need top of the line, but willing to spend money to get something worth it.

I could not find a thread on this so I figured I’d ask. If there is a thread on this, please point me in the right direction.

Reactions: aljones_315
On a spotting scope, cheap is a complete waste of money.

Today, at most PRS events, especially the ones that cover a lot of distance Binos are the ticket. Today, the spotter is a add on to good Binos.

Get the best Binos you can - later you can add in spotter, but get a good one or just saver your $$

hy is everyone using binos at PRS events over spotting scopes?

Definitely willing to spend the money to get something good, just looking to find out why I should get one or the other. And possibly some recommendations.

The correct answer is going to probably be both in your case. If it was JUST LR shooing or PRS then a spotter or binos would be fine. You bring in hunting, you’ll want both for sure. A question I have is, do you have someone to spot for you? Because shooting at 1200y and having a spotting scope next to you doesn’t seem conducive unless you want to digiscope.

For the record, I’m not a PRS shooter, so I’ve not actually witnessed what tools are thought to be best for the sport. That said, if you are hunting or looking to spot 500 to a mile I really like this:

The correct answer is going to probably be both in your case. If it was JUST LR shooing or PRS then a spotter or binos would be fine. You bring in hunting, you’ll want both for sure. A question I have is, do you have someone to spot for you? Because shooting at 1200y and having a spotting scope next to you doesn’t seem conducive unless you want to digiscope.

Most of the time I try to bring a friend along with me to spot. If I’m solo, at least I would be able to see my hits better on the targets that are out there.

Swaro ATX85 SWARO 15x56.png

This is my road spotting setup. We’re looking for Elk generally 1,500 -2,500 yards away. Even then, 90% of the time we are on our Binos. The best part is these are co-witnessed and all about the same eye height, so if you see something on the binos as you grid glass and need clarification from the spotter, you simply peer into the spotter, with very little movement if any.

I have several Swaro ATX spotters, Several Swaro Binos (8~15x), and one of my favorites, a set of Mavens 11x. Side note, that’s just the stuff that has earned its spot in my heart. I bought and got rid of many thousands of dollars worth of glass, I wish I didn’t have to learn this through many years and dollars regarding what not to do.

In a nutshell, for matches I bring my Swaro Binos for PRS and PRS style matches, never a spotter anymore. We can see the trace, have a wide FOV, can be used without a tripod, and is comfortable.

The spotters during the day heat and bright light generally need to be dialed down. Today’s top-end scopes with 25x resolve hits on steel just about as well under these conditions as a top-end spotter and much better than almost all of the cheap ones. If you’re having trouble seeing the impacts, but can after switching to a spotter post shot, I’d consider upgrading your scope first.

In order of priority for what and how you suggesting you shoot, I’d still recommend a good set of Binos, then upgrade the glass for your scope if that’s an issue, and finally a good spotter.

As a Swaro bino guy, there are still several really good Binos. I am going to give Maven a shot out for their price to performance value. I recently bought an 11x Maven for Bowhunting and honestly feel they are more comfortable to be behind than my Swaros. The image appears a bit more full screen to my eyes, kinda like the ZCO scopes look almost frameless compared to some other scopes. The glass is not better than the Swaros but close enough; They cost about 1/2 compared to the Swaros.

BEFE7898-A4EF-43C4-8859-DE1B08E036E3.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 7417398
This is my road spotting setup, except the legs today are RRS. We’re looking for Elk generally 1,500 -2,500 yards away. Even then, 90% of the time we are on our Binos.

I have several Swaro ATX spotters, Several Swaro Binos (8~15x) and one of my favorites, a set of Mavens 11x. Side note, that’s just the stuff that has earned it’s spot in my hart. I bought and got ride of many thousands of dollars worth of glass, I wish I didn’t have to learn this through many years and dollars regarding what not to do.

In a nutshell, for matches I bring my Swaro Binos for PRS and PRS style matches, never a spotter anymore. We can see trace, have a wide FOV, can be used without a tripod, and is comfortable.

The spotters during the day heat and bright light generally need to be dialed down. Today’s top end scopes with 25x resolve hits on steel just about as well under these conditions as a top end spotters and much better than almost all of the cheap ones. If you’re having trouble seeing the impacts, but can after switching to a spotter post shot, I’d consider upgrading your scope first.

In order of priority for what and how you suggesting you shoot, I’d still recommend a good set of Binos, then upgrade the glass for your scope if that’s an issue and finally a good spotter.

As a Swaro bino guy, there are still several really good Binos. I am going to give Maven a shot out for their price to performance value. I recently bought a 11x Maven for Bow hunting and honestly feel they are more comfortable to be behind than my Swaros. The image appears a bit more full screen to my eyes, kinda like the ZCO scopes look almost frameless compared to some other scopes. The glass is not better than the Swaros but close enough; They cost about 1/2 compared to the Swaros.

View attachment 7417414

Thank you for all the information! It’s funny you mention upgrading my scope, as that is #1 on my list. Sounds like binos are a good all around way to go. Is 10x enough mag? Or should I be looking for more?

Reactions: aljones_315
bino, bino, Bino!!!

the only time I want a spotting scope is when I’m looking at critters beyond 1.5-2 miles away.

even then, I prefer the two eyed brighter view of 15x bino's

Reactions: Wyzrd
Thank you for all the information! It’s funny you mention upgrading my scope, as that is #1 on my list. Sounds like binos are a good all around way to go. Is 10x enough mag? Or should I be looking for more?
It depends on your eyes and what you expect. For PRS, I would say 10 is the very minimum. I carry a tripod so I can take advantage of a bit more power and the perceived clarity. I love my 15x for matches, but to gain from them you need a tripod.

It depends on your eyes and what you expect. For PRS, I would say 10 is the very minimum. I carry a tripod so I can take advantage of a bit more power and the perceived clarity. I love my 15x for matches, but to gain from them you need a tripod.

I’ve got the tripod already, so I should be good there. 15x binos sounds like the consensus. Swarovski is the gold standard from what I read, do they offer models with reticles? Any other brands I should look into?

I’ve got the tripod already, so I should be good there. 15x binos sounds like the consensus. Swarovski is the gold standard from what I read, do they offer models with reticles? Any other brands I should look into?
No rets in most of the good glass, the ones available lack the detail you’d want for accurate corrections; to be honest, 15x too much power except for PRS/range and hunting here out West. Swaro, Meopta, Maven, Zeiss and Lieca are at the top of my list for general quality.

FYI- mostly at the matches were trying to get wind info and impact location, but NOT calling corrections!

Just my opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
View attachment 7417398
This is my road spotting setup, except the legs today are RRS. We’re looking for Elk generally 1,500 -2,500 yards away. Even then, 90% of the time we are on our Binos.

I have several Swaro ATX spotters, Several Swaro Binos (8~15x) and one of my favorites, a set of Mavens 11x. Side note, that’s just the stuff that has earned it’s spot in my hart. I bought and got ride of many thousands of dollars worth of glass, I wish I didn’t have to learn this through many years and dollars regarding what not to do.

In a nutshell, for matches I bring my Swaro Binos for PRS and PRS style matches, never a spotter anymore. We can see trace, have a wide FOV, can be used without a tripod, and is comfortable.

The spotters during the day heat and bright light generally need to be dialed down. Today’s top end scopes with 25x resolve hits on steel just about as well under these conditions as a top end spotters and much better than almost all of the cheap ones. If you’re having trouble seeing the impacts, but can after switching to a spotter post shot, I’d consider upgrading your scope first.

In order of priority for what and how you suggesting you shoot, I’d still recommend a good set of Binos, then upgrade the glass for your scope if that’s an issue and finally a good spotter.

As a Swaro bino guy, there are still several really good Binos. I am going to give Maven a shot out for their price to performance value. I recently bought a 11x Maven for Bow hunting and honestly feel they are more comfortable to be behind than my Swaros. The image appears a bit more full screen to my eyes, kinda like the ZCO scopes look almost frameless compared to some other scopes. The glass is not better than the Swaros but close enough; They cost about 1/2 compared to the Swaros.

View attachment 7417414

Are those the Maven B.2 in 11x45?

Same dilemma I had. Went back and forth and settled on the Swaro NL Pure 12x42's. My first upgrade was my scope. Will see how the Swaro's do as they are set to ship this week.

Reactions: Diver160651
Are those the Maven B.2 in 11x45?

Yes. BTW , I think Maven has a demo to buy program. There was also a guy out of Boise that rents high-end glass and high-end hunting rifles https://rgunsngear.com/. Renting would be a good way to test drive a couple of binos side by side. I think if you rent two pairs and if both total less than a week, you can get both the rentals applied to a pair you buy.

I like the 11x45s a bit more than my older Swaro 10x42s. Mostly for how the image "feels" like it is a widescreen TV or somehow closer to my eyes. I needed the more compact size as these are pulled one-handed in and out of a chest rig all-day and mostly handheld. While my 15x56 fit in my KUIU chest rig, it takes two hands and is a pain.

I was at my house in Wyoming, pre-season spotting with lots of Swaro glass, when I had the opportunity to get behind a Maven spotter. On a tripod, the glass while top-notch gets edged out in the last 10 minutes of light by the larger ATX, but for the price, I was intrigued enough I took a chance and paid for the 11 x 45s. I am so glad I did, overall I like them better than my more expensive older Swaro 10x42s. Again, I paid for them and would buy them again. I was so impressed, I contacted Maven and they are going to give away a set at the match.

It is worth noting that even amongst Swaro glass there can be *huge performance differences, like the ATX line vs the cheaper ATS line, etc. But again, you usually need everything on a tripod and lots of back and forth at the top levels to pick a winner. That said, some are instantly easier to look through or seem to provide a wider apparent FOV, even handheld. Then there is the price value proposition that many of us must consider. Do you need other things or is this 3,200 bino going to serve you better than a 750 set? These are really user dependant and very personal. *Huge is relative, it is all splitting hairs at this level.

In full transparency Vortex, Leupold, Maven, Spartan Rifles, Manners, BT Atlas, MDT, Henderson Precision, Applied Ballistics, Prime, and Able Table (discounts) are donating to the RO/Shooter prize table to our sold-out UKD Team match in November.

You can see more in the link below and we are continuing (until the match) a tips and tricks segment for this match, but many of the tips transfer to general field shooting.

BTW we are looking for ROs - It is a great way to see what this team UKD/ Feild match is about.

Here is our UKD sponsor list
_spnsor logos for posts.png

Last edited:
I'm having the same dilemma right now as the OP. I currently have a set of Sig Kilo 3000bdx binos that I use for ranging. I am new to PRS and Longer range shooting. I got to look through a set of Swaros and a set of Meopta Meostars at a match and was amazed at the trace and mirage that I could see. I am torn between a set of binos or a spotter.

We typically shoot two guns at a time at longer ranges (not shooting PRS) and we spot with the other rifle.

I feel like the binos would be a better option for me right now since I would be spotting for PRS most of the time. And my budget is around $1500 so the options i was looking at are a Leupold Mark 4 spotter or Meopta Meostar HD 15x56

I'm having the same dilemma right now as the OP. I currently have a set of Sig Kilo 3000bdx binos that I use for ranging. I am new to PRS and Longer range shooting. I got to look through a set of Swaros and a set of Meopta Meostars at a match and was amazed at the trace and mirage that I could see. I am torn between a set of binos or a spotter.

We typically shoot two guns at a time at longer ranges (not shooting PRS) and we spot with the other rifle.

I feel like the binos would be a better option for me right now since I would be spotting for PRS most of the time. And my budget is around $1500 so the options i was looking at are a Leupold Mark 4 spotter or Meopta Meostar HD 15x56
If you are going to be primarily shooting matches, stick with binos. Spotters have a place in longe range shooting, but as Diver mentioned above, a good quality spotter is almost secondary to binos in terms of match use. You should spend as much time on glass as you can while not shooting/preparing to shoot observing wind, trace, mirage, walking through the course of fire, etc and the amount of eye strain you will experience using a spotter all day versus a good set of binos makes a big difference. Not only that, but binos will carry a higher "bang for your buck" in terms of glass quality for the price you pay.

In your price range, I would highly suggest the Meostars, they have excellent glass and will serve you very well for match use. That being said, your Sig 3000s should work sufficiently for identifying and ranging targets just fine until you are ready for an upgrade, but they are a bit lacking on glass and it can be hard spotting for others with 10s. I have a pair of the new Meostar B1 Plus 15x56 you are welcome to look through at the Pala matches/train ups. I will be at the train up tomorrow, if you are going to be there hit me up and check them out.

Reactions: Punkur67
If you are going to be primarily shooting matches, stick with binos. Spotters have a place in longe range shooting, but as Diver mentioned above, a good quality spotter is almost secondary to binos in terms of match use. You should spend as much time on glass as you can while not shooting/preparing to shoot observing wind, trace, mirage, walking through the course of fire, etc and the amount of eye strain you will experience using a spotter all day versus a good set of binos makes a big difference. Not only that, but binos will carry a higher "bang for your buck" in terms of glass quality for the price you pay.

In your price range, I would highly suggest the Meostars, they have excellent glass and will serve you very well for match use. That being said, your Sig 3000s should work sufficiently for identifying and ranging targets just fine until you are ready for an upgrade, but they are a bit lacking on glass and it can be hard spotting for others with 10s. I have a pair of the new Meostar B1 Plus 15x56 you are welcome to look through at the Pala matches/train ups. I will be at the train up tomorrow, if you are going to be there hit me up and check them out.
I appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately I am not going to make it out this weekend. But I should be at the match this month. I went a couple months ago to just watch before I was ready to compete. One of the guys in the squad I followed let me look through his Meopta Meostars and I watched a couple shooters through them. I was amazed with how clear the trace and mirage were. The mirage was clear enough to have depth and I could clearly see the difference in mirage at different ranges.

Reactions: Davidu
I was doubtful about binos at moderate(PRS) distances till I got to try it.
I now totally understand why binos have pretty much taken over.

I’ve been messing around with binos since I’m ROing one of the local series finals and I don’t need the eye strain from a spotter all day. I picked up some inexpensive vortex diamondback HD 15x56 and they are ridiculously good for the price tag, granted I’ve seen better but they are hard to beat for the price.

I’ve been messing around with binos since I’m ROing one of the local series finals and I don’t need the eye strain from a spotter all day. I picked up some inexpensive vortex diamondback HD 15x56 and they are ridiculously good for the price tag, granted I’ve seen better but they are hard to beat for the price.

i almost thought of buying those...just waiting for more reviews

I have been looking at the following 2 options.

Swarovski Optik SLC 15 x 56 WB
Meopta MeoStar B1 Plus 15x56 HD

Following. I'm also looking for a budget friendly set of binos that will trace well for PRS
I will say the Diamondbacks HD’s in the 15x are looking very promising. I’ll be running them next weekend to RO our league’s finals and should have data on them out to 1100ish yards

Last edited:
Reactions: D1gger and Blue72
Just to throw another option out there: the 15x56 Athlon Cronus UHD binos. I just ordered a set from CameraLandNY. I should have them early next week and will be putting them to use for this seasons elk and deer hunts, and at the range. I’ll definitely post my opinion on them once I get some time behind them, but all the reviews I’ve read about them say that they’re a great bino that punches above its price point. Obviously isn’t gonna be Swaro level glass, but you’re also not paying $2K+ for them either. Anyways, just another option for the “big-eye” binos.

Just to throw another option out there: the 15x56 Athlon Cronus UHD binos. I just ordered a set from CameraLandNY. I should have them early next week and will be putting them to use for this seasons elk and deer hunts, and at the range. I’ll definitely post my opinion on them once I get some time behind them, but all the reviews I’ve read about them say that they’re a great bino that punches above its price point. Obviously isn’t gonna be Swaro level glass, but you’re also not paying $2K+ for them either. Anyways, just another option for the “big-eye” binos.

love to hear about these too

Reactions: Wyzrd
Yes. BTW , I think Maven has a demo to buy program. There was also a guy out of Boise that rents high-end glass and high-end hunting rifles https://rgunsngear.com/. Renting would be a good way to test drive a couple of binos side by side. I think if you rent two pairs and if both total less than a week, you can get both the rentals applied to a pair you buy.

I like the 11x45s a bit more than my older Swaro 10x42s. Mostly for how the image "feels" like it is a widescreen TV or somehow closer to my eyes. I needed the more compact size as these are pulled one-handed in and out of a chest rig all-day and mostly handheld. While my 15x56 fit in my KUIU chest rig, it takes two hands and is a pain.

I was at my house in Wyoming, pre-season spotting with lots of Swaro glass, when I had the opportunity to get behind a Maven spotter. On a tripod, the glass while top-notch gets edged out in the last 10 minutes of light by the larger ATX, but for the price, I was intrigued enough I took a chance and paid for the 11 x 45s. I am so glad I did, overall I like them better than my more expensive older Swaro 10x42s. Again, I paid for them and would buy them again. I was so impressed, I contacted Maven and they are going to give away a set at the match.

It is worth noting that even amongst Swaro glass there can be *huge performance differences, like the ATX line vs the cheaper ATS line, etc. But again, you usually need everything on a tripod and lots of back and forth at the top levels to pick a winner. That said, some are instantly easier to look through or seem to provide a wider apparent FOV, even handheld. Then there is the price value proposition that many of us must consider. Do you need other things or is this 3,200 bino going to serve you better than a 750 set? These are really user dependant and very personal. *Huge is relative, it is all splitting hairs at this level.

In full transparency Vortex, Leupold, Maven, Spartan Rifles, Manners, BT Atlas, MDT, Henderson Precision, Applied Ballistics, Prime, and Able Table (discounts) are donating to the RO/Shooter prize table to our sold-out UKD Team match in November.

You can see more in the link below and we are continuing (until the match) a tips and tricks segment for this match, but many of the tips transfer to general field shooting.

BTW we are looking for ROs - It is a great way to see what this team UKD/ Feild match is about.

Here is our UKD sponsor list
View attachment 7426693
How has your experience with Maven Optics been? I've never heard of them until I saw this post. My interest is piqued, to say the least...

How has your experience with Maven Optics been? I've never heard of them until I saw this post. My interest is piqued, to say the least...
So far they are my favorite Binos just for how easy they are to get behind. I can’t attest to their lower cost line.

I wanted something somewhat compact and went for the B2 line 11x45s. As mentioned compared to my Swaros, they just are more comfortable and it "feels" like the image is more edge to edge in my eyes than my 10x42 Swaros. As someone who wears glasses, the ability for the spotter or binos to accommodate them is important, that said I usually spot without classes. Super high marks on both ends.

I think at the top level to see the resolution/clarity difference you need tripods and many side by side tests in various conditions. Even if the resolution is somewhat better on the Swaros, using the Mavens for me just feels better. They also have the B.5 line that feature pair of 15x56 at $1,500 on par with the $1,600 Meopta 15x56 MeoStar B1 and the $2,300 Swarovsiki SLC 15x56. In this case, the Swaro edges them both out ever so slightly if you work really hard to find the differences.

As far as the spotter is concerned, I'd get a Maven over my Razor and over the Swaro AT"S" I had. My Swaro AT"X" with the 85 is slightly bigger/ better but almost $1,500 more- I've run these side by side from bright sun, where you can hardly see a difference too to dark to shoot where it become obvious.

Maven uses a model like KIUI, direct to consumer to make the end cost more competitive.

So I ran the Diamondback HD yesterday for the finals and they definitely worked for there intended purpose. The glass is surprisingly clear for the price, they have great field of view and depth, but once I got off a hensoldt 45 spotter is was hard not to see some of the short comings when it came to chromatic aberration, and a slight fogging to the glass with the sun in certain spots. Over all they are a good choose that won’t break the bank and lets you play around with set 15x binos.

Reactions: Blue72
I used to use a spotting scope with a reticle for a couple of years for PRS style shooting. I had no complaints until I used a set of binos. Now I exclusively use binos.
On paper, spotting scopes seem like they will be better. They typically have adjustable zoom and have higher power magnification. However, I find binos immerse the spotter into the environment better. IMO, the human brain process images better when it combines information received through stereo vision as opposed to mono vision.
Most of the time I can see the impacts with the naked eye at 700 yards. I can tell you what side of the plate was hit or missed. For PRS shooting, I would rather run 10x binos than a 20x spotting scope any day of the week. This still give the ability to see most vapor trail and the cloud of material produced on impact for PRS engagement distances. Most of the time I don't get a read from a miss with 18x binos, everyone in my squad report the same, even if they are on a spotting scope, so I don't feel I'm missing anything.
While getting granular level detail on each shot seems appealing with a spotting scope, you need to be zoomed in significantly. There are diminishing returns from zooming in as the task becomes more taxing. In some cases, the extra zoom is useless from wind vibration (pretty common where I shoot), field of view, depth of field decreases as you increase power (so you may lose mirage information),or laziness.

I’ll agree fully with that, the 6mm stuff can get tricky at distance.

Hence why I don't understand why so many say "binos are better for PRS spotting". PRS/NRL is one of the few venues you see 6mm's shot at such extreme distances that require spotting. Yes, binos are better if multiple targets are in a CoF and you're not skilled at getting on target with a high mag optic, but nothing compares to good, high mag optics for those small'ish splash impacts.

Hence why I don't understand why so many say "binos are better for PRS spotting". PRS/NRL is one of the few venues you see 6mm's shot at such extreme distances that require spotting. Yes, binos are better if multiple targets are in a CoF and you're not skilled at getting one target with a high mag optic, but nothing compares to good, high mag optics for those small'ish splash impacts.
T,

I think what we are generally answering a question that is framed as either-or; basically when a PRS/NRL shooter is looking to get 1 optic. As a general-purpose device for a shooter, top-end binos are very flexible. For instance, some matches require a shit-ton of hiking in the heat (like our club's) and carrying your GC, big tripod, and a heavy spotter; with the possibility of integrated binos or whatever can tax the shooter.

As an example in the above case, for most targets, my 15x Swaros are a better compromise, more comfortable, etc. That said, if I am RO'ng (not moving) on a long stage, I 100% agree with and would be behind my ATX85. If your range is next to where you park or only a few yards between stations, or you're an RO, a good spotter is probably better, just more limited.

My 2 cents is high-end binos first, then add in a top-end spotter when funds allow.

I have a first gen 80mm Vortex from the year they came out, and it is incredibly sharp at long range, and the 80mm objective stays bright right through dusk till dark. I have a half dozen high end binos, and to me it comes down to transitions and eye strain.

I use the spotting scope if it's beyond 800 yards, or there aren't multiple targets across an arc that have to be observed. On a single target at range you just zero in, boost the power till you can see the impacts and splash, and your good to go. Just leave it when you switch spotters.

The binos are WAY better at transitioning between targets with their much wider field of view, and are easier to manipulate even in a tripod. They also don't hurt your eyes as much as looking through a spotting scope for hours.

I usually donate my spotting scope to the longer range stages at a match, and it generally gets used by an RO every time.

Reactions: LRRPF52
T,

I think what we are generally answering a question that is framed as either-or; basically when a PRS/NRL shooter is looking to get 1 optic. As a general-purpose device for a shooter, top-end binos are very flexible. For instance, some matches require a shit-ton of hiking in the heat (like our club's) and carrying your GC, big tripod, and a heavy spotter; with the possibility of integrated binos or whatever can tax the shooter.

As an example in the above case, for most targets, my 15x Swaros are a better compromise, more comfortable, etc. That said, if I am RO'ng (not moving) on a long stage, I 100% agree with and would be behind my ATX85. If your range is next to where you park or only a few yards between stations, or you're an RO, a good spotter is probably better, just more limited.

My 2 cents is high-end binos first, then add in a top-end spotter when funds allow.

Fair enough. I suppose since I mostly RO these days I took it from an RO's perspective. But yes, as a shooter, I agree binos are likely a better (even if compromised optically) option due to size and weight. Even hunting, I rarely pull out the Spotter 45 these days. Binos suffice in most situations.

Reactions: LRRPF52
It depends on what you are trying to do. For just spotting impacts on a clear day on high visibility targets, a good set of Binocs are great. If you are spotting camouflaged or hidden targets, and its raining, and visibility sucks, and its over 700 yards, and you are trying to spot the misses as well as the hits on wet ground then I would much prefer the spotting scope.

I took the long range course at Gunsite where we worked in spotter/shooter pairs for 7 days. Binocs were critical for finding the well hidden targets, but we always switched to the spotting scope with a reticle for shooting. The reticle is actually a critical feature of a good spotting scope as it lets you mill the target, read the mirage to get a good wind call, often see the vapor trail as the bullet goes to the target and precisely measure the misses for a follow up wind or dope adjustment. You want the spotter to match your rifle reticle and turrets - usually MRAD all around.

I would recommend a good pair of binoculars first (Swarovski 10x42 or similar), and then get a spotter with a reticle later. There are not many spotters with good reticles that also have good power ranges, but the Leupold Mark IV 12-40x60mm with TMR reticle is the standard for field use. Also get a good carbon fiber tripod and a geared head. No point in putting your expensive spotter on a cheap tripod where it moves constantly.

I'm with @MarinePMI Binos are cool, but I like to know how far off they miss... a know s* correction. Henny gives me that luxury.

But it's a lot harder to get used to, than binos on stages that have multiple targets. Thus why you see a lot more using binos than spotters.

I've played with a ton of binos, and I always revert back to my spotter. I got hooked up with a pair of Leupold BX-T 10x42mm Binos that has a reticle built in... still doesn't come out much. They are nice and good budget... but I'm a magnification whore... lol

If you are going to go with both Binos and a Spotting Scope - which one do you spend more on, from a quality of glass perspective? For example (using Vortex just as an example I know there are better setups out there) - Do you go Vortex Razor HD Spotting Scope and Viper HD Binos or the other way around Razor HD (or UHD binos) and Viper HD Spotting Scope. Again similar use as has been discussed..target shooting to a mile, PRS competitions, calling hits and misses on steel....

I opted for higher end glass on the spotter. No sense in just adding magnification to crappy glass...

But TBH I've been eyeing some Leica 3200's, so....I want high end glass (if possible) in both.

Reactions: Diver160651
I would personally spend more on the spotter. You can't pick up vapor trails, read mirage, read corrections, etc...without good glass on the spotter. Again the Leupold 12-40x60mm with the TMR (mil) reticle is just about perfect as it is in just the right zoom range for the field, has great glass and has a reticle. Leupold also has a good discount program for military, LE and certified NRA instructors.

That being said, you may get addicted to good glass and want to upgrade the binoculars later.

I would personally spend more on the spotter. You can't pick up vapor trails, read mirage, read corrections, etc...without good glass on the spotter. Again the Leupold 12-40x60mm with the TMR (mil) reticle is just about perfect as it is in just the right zoom range for the field, has great glass and has a reticle. Leupold also has a good discount program for military, LE and certified NRA instructors.

That being said, you may get addicted to good glass and want to upgrade the binoculars later.

Well, just in the spirit of the Bear Pit.

Vapor trails are what you see left behind for long periods of time also called contrails. It is a condensation trail made by the exhaust of an aircraft engine. Trace is what can momentarily be seen as the bullet leaves a pressure differential.

Mirage, is what you see on the road, desert, ocean, snow, etc. where the images are mirrored or displaced with three main types, Inferior, Superior, and Fata. Heat Shimmer or Heat haze is what we generally see once we drop onto our optics. This indicates wind direction and often makes our target look out of focus and generally a bit larger than they really are.
Reticle-ranging-695-25x-Mirage.png

PS. PMI hates bad grammar and I am the worst offender. This is a bit tongue and cheek.