• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Spotting Scope With MRAD Reticle

Longshot231

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2018
    I was thinking about getting the Vortex Viper 20-60X spotting scope along with the eyepiece that has the MRAD reticle. It is sort of nice when the person spotting for you can give you elevation and windage corrections in MILS or whatever your preferred unit of measure.

I get tired of hearing "you're a little left or a little high."

So is anyone using any spotting scopes with MRAD reticles? If so, what are your thoughts and recommendations?

vtx_vs-85rea_moa_a_i_ri_fv_300x300.jpg

Henny Spotter 60.

Never heard of it till you mentioned it. I looked it up. Wow! Looks fantastic but a little too much money for me right now.

I do like the reticle placement off to the side but looks like it might take getting use to.

+1 for the Bushnell, Legend T Series 15-45x60 to be exact. It's not the best thing in the world, but it's decent for the price.

Reactions: Boxerglocker
    Henny Spotter 60.
    I actually think the Spotter 45 is a better unit. The lower low end is nice to have, and while busier, the reticle is more useful once you get a hang of it. Most of the time the mag range from 45-60 isn't that useful for various reasons.

Reactions: cschastain2
    I was thinking about getting the Vortex Viper 20-60X spotting scope along with the eyepiece that has the MRAD reticle. It is sort of nice when the person spotting for you can give you elevation and windage corrections in MILS or whatever your preferred unit of measure.

So is anyone using any spotting scopes with MRAD reticles? If so, what are your thoughts and recommendations?

Ive actually got the 20-60 eye piece on an old razor along with the 30x mil reticle eyepiece.
    1612968232721.png
    vortex-razor-hd-30x-r-t-tactical-mrad-eyepiece.jpg

I prefer the variable nonreticle more. I like to be able to zoom out wider for when there are multiple targets and the 30x just seems too tight many times. I also find calling the general direction a safer call than giving a precise call because undoubtedly Ill be wrong by the next shots wind shift. I hate getting that .1mil info and it being immediately wrong so I try to not do it to others.

... then again I could have sworn that my reticle was half mils and not .2 like your image shows. Gotta go dig it out of the closet and check again.

Also, everyone uses 12x binoculars now so I let them carry those and I just don’t bring my big heavy scope to matches other than paper 22 stuff just so I don’t have to lug it around. If I were to buy today I would want a 12-15x binocular to set on a tripod.

Edit: a couple years later and I now use the reticle eyepiece. Measuring targets and seeing how that target width plays into the wind call adjustment etc. More looking at it all before shooting rather than watching the actual shooting and calling impacts which would favor the other eyepiece.

Last edited:
    It’s expensive but the Swarovski STR is awesome. Typical Swaro glass, and the reticle can be switched on and off so you get the best of both worlds.

Ive actually got the 20-60 eye piece on an old razor along with the viper 30x reticle piece.
    View attachment 7552112

I prefer the variable nonreticle more. I like to be able to zoom out wider for when there are multiple targets and the 30x just seems too tight many times. I also find calling the general direction a safer call than giving a precise call because undoubtedly Ill be wrong by the next shots wind shift. I hate getting that .1mil info and it being immediately wrong so I try to not do it to others.

... then again I could have sworn that my reticle was half mils and not .2 like your image shows. Gotta go dig it out of the closet and check again.

Also, everyone uses 12x binoculars now so I let them carry those and I just don’t bring my big heavy scope to matches other than paper 22 stuff just so I don’t have to lug it around. If I were to buy today I would want a 12-15x binocular to set on a tripod.

I use to have a pair of Steiner binoculars with a MIL reticle. I’m kicking myself for ever selling it.

Reactions: Maddog51
    It’s expensive but the Swarovski STR is awesome. Typical Swaro glass, and the reticle can be switched on and off so you get the best of both worlds.
    I got to look through one of these early this week. The big criticism of this scope is the exit pupil at high magnification is extremely small. This makes observing very difficult and unpleasant, because you have to align your eye to the scope perfectly and nothing is allowed to move neither your head nor the scope or observation is difficult. If the scope moves under slightest wind conditions, or if you are unable to keep your eye position dead steady then you get that weirdness

CJ

I use to have a pair of Steiner binoculars with a MIL reticle. I’m kicking myself for ever selling it.
    The Leupold BX-T Mil L have great glass and a reticle you can spin around to change the orientation of it to your liking. Can be found occasionally in PX for $350-$450

Reactions: Longshot231
    I got to look through one of these early this week. The big criticism of this scope is the exit pupil at high magnification is extremely small. This makes observing very difficult and unpleasant, because you have to align your eye to the scope perfectly and nothing is allowed to move neither your head nor the scope or observation is difficult. If the scope moves under slightest wind conditions, or if you are unable to keep your eye position dead steady then you get that weirdness

CJ
    Which eyepiece did you use? The 25-50X is more forgiving than the 20-60X, I have both. That said, I haven't found either to be frustrating but I am probably pretty used to it at this point.

Reactions: Nik H and Ronin_64
    I've been using a Leupold Mk IV 12-40 with TMR reticle for many years, it is a compact package with decent glass and the reticle is useful without blocking too much of the field of view. They sometimes go on sale at like Black Friday for very good prices. The glass as I said is decent, actually pretty good. The Swaroviski's, Hensoldts, Zeiss do have better glass, but at a higher price point. The Leupold allows me to spot at matches just fine but for myself, I'm using it to look at mirage downrange before it's my turn to shoot.

I second the Swavorski STR-80. I love that the reticle can be switched on or off. I believe it is available in either Mil or MOA. Mine is Mil and I love it. Yes, it is expensive but so worth it.

I've heard a few good things on the LMSS2. Not much out there in yes of reviews, but everything I've seen is positive. Its about the only thing I can find as an option between the Leopold's and swarro level.

I've heard a few good things on the LMSS2. Not much out there in yes of reviews, but everything I've seen is positive. Its about the only thing I can find as an option between the Leopold's and swarro level.
    I’ve heard the same.

How come no one uses increments of the target when no reticle is available? If my spotter says "two silhouette-widths left", or "one-half target high", I sure as hell can use the reticle in my scope to make the correction. Sure, it's still not entirely accurate, but a hell of a lot better than "a little left".

Last edited:
    Reactions: TreyMeTrey
    I have a friend with the Razor spotter with the 22 power mil reticle. Very clear glass and the reticle is in the lower part of the glass so it's out of the way if you want it to be.

How come no one uses increments of the target when no reticle is available? If my spotter says "two silhouette-widths left", or "one-half target high", I sure as hell can use the reticle in my scope to make the correction. Sure, it's still not entirely accurate, but a hell of a lot better than "a little left".

I tried getting some spotters to do that. Sometimes they can relate sometimes they can't.

I should probably stick to shooting really heavy rifles and look for the impact myself.

Another option

That has my attention. I got funds dedicated to a new rifle build now but will put this on my shopping list. My only objection is that I'd like a larger objective lens - about 80 to 85 mm. Other than that, the scope looks like it would suit my purposes and cost less than the Vortex Razr with extra eyepiece.

Here are a couple of reviews of the scope.

I was going to get the razor but I saw the mrad eyepiece is fixed zoom and not variable. I didn’t have silly money to spend, so at the time was either the Althon or old Bushnell. Since getting the Althon Bushnell updated theirs. I would imagine they are very similar.

I'm quite happy with Leupold 10-40 x 60 with Mil Reticle. Compact and reasonably light weight and I'm not sure that any more mag or objective size would really buy me anything.

Now, I did look thru a Kowa at a silhouette match a couple of weeks ago and yes, that glass seemed brighter/clearer but no reticle.

Realistically, the gain from a 60mm is only obvious at dusk. That 80-85mm gets pretty bulky if you go any further than the vehicle to the shooting bench. You'll have to balance the brighter image with a bigger package to move around.

All depends on budget!

I moved from a razor 20-60 for that very reason...I wanted a reticle that would zoom. I ended up with a MK4 20-60. A nice step up in glass and love having the reticle. We use it for distances out to 2200.

For the shorter stuff, I have a friend with a Bushnell 15-45 and works well but glass is pretty entry level.

Quite a few options when you go 3k+

I started out doing exactly that.My partnerand I useit as well as a MIL Reticle spotting scopeIlike to dial.He like to hold over or up/down.So its a useful tool for us both.One target Left.. Hey The other Left...LOL

Reactions: smoothy8500
    Optics planet and Midway had some good deals on the Razr spotting scope along with the 22X eyepieces with MIL and MOA reticles. I really like them now.

I use the Tract Toric Spotter with the fixed 22x MRAD eyepiece. Huge wow factor every time I look through it. Nice military discount too…

Spotter:

Eyepiece:

John

Reactions: Longshot231
    8D68BCBC680D433DAFBFABAB82E0B904_3717.jpg

That was done with a VisionPro GX3 and a Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Although today I would use a Longshot Hawk with my cell phone or tablet. A lot more convenient
    and less expensive.

View attachment 8121386
    That was done with a VisionPro GX3 and a Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Although today I would use a Longshot Hawk with my cell phone or tablet. A lot more convenient
    and less expensive.
    I had nothing but trouble with the Longshot and got a refund for it.

I'd still like something that give me feedback on an iPad. I don't have the luxury of shooting with a partner that can spot very well. It must be the colorful language I use to help them call my shots :rolleyes:

I use the Swarovski STR 80 with the electronic reticle and the 25-50 Wide FOV eyepiece

Can't say enough good about it
    I ordered one yesterday.It was a little over $4,778 .00 plus tax .Thank you

Reactions: Nik H
    -521424931_image_file_name_1651119_resized_1.png

Same bank (albeit in shade) with my Longshot Hawk, KOWA TSN88 on my Galaxy Note 9.
    I haven't had any issues with the App, camera, phone or Ipad, although I have only
    used it once as a spotter setup. More convenient than getting up and viewing the cell phone
    video after each shot. I'll have to see how it performs from the mile to 2500 yds at spotting impacts or misses.

Haha….yeah, but this is a thread for us poors, Nik. Lol
    Buy once cry once.My 1st one was a $50. Svbony off ebay. Lol 2ndvwas Vortex Diamondvack at $399.
    3rd is what I currently have, a Vortex Diamindback HD.
    I'm tired of borrowing one at the ELR Matches that is better and with a MIL reticle.So I cried and Bit the Bullet.
    No more borrowing and no more crying..
    Except when I miss my shot..lol

Buy once cry once.My 1st one was a $50. Svbony off ebay. Lol 2ndvwas Vortex Diamondvack at $399.
    3rd is what I currently have, a Vortex Diamindback HD.
    I'm tired of borrowing one at the ELR Matches that is better and with a MIL reticle.So I cried and Bit the Bullet.
    No more borrowing and no more crying..
    Except when I miss my shot..lol
    Yeah, I get it…but that sure is a lot of crying! ;-). Haha

Leupold MK4 12-40, mine has the P4 reticle. It's small and plenty of mag. Now that I have started shooting/hunting at night, I am getting even more use out of it with a Badger SNAP and PVS-14. It is also sweet to be able to range at night with it using a SiCo Radius mounted up top. The Badger accessories for it are very well made and makes a great system.

Here's a good deal on a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85, that also comes with the 22x MRAD Reticle eyepiece.

I notice that when not zoomed in, even a cheap spotting scope, such as a Vortex Viper, isn't too bad. But, when you increase the magnification, a higher-quality item, such as the Vortex Razor we have for sale, really shows its worth.

I have but the FOV and eye box were more challenging so I went with the 25-50.
    Hm I read the eye box and (maybe) eye relief on the wide angle eyepiece were more challenging.

Hm I read the eye box and (maybe) eye relief on the wide angle eyepiece were more challenging.
    I read that as well but I find it to be false.

The eyepiece has a movable cup to adjust the eye relief. You do need to get your eye as close as you can to get a good image but I don't find it difficult at all. The increased FOV is a huge benefit over the 20-60 eyepiece IMHO.

Running the Athlon Ares gen 2 with the 22x mil reticle, and works pretty well on steel out to 600 or so spotting 6.5 hits. Only good to 400 for 5.56.

Reactions: Maddog51

KOWA TSN880 20-60 eyepiece, KOWA digiscope and Galaxy note 9 phone
    This setup does not have a reticle however at ELR distances on a known target size seeing the impacts or misses becomes a priority.

Horus Vision makes a 6.5-40x50mm first focal plane spotter with the Tremor 4 reticle. Not sure how it compares to the others, but I noticed it hadn't been mentioned yet.