• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotting with Leica Geovids vs PST and leupy Mk4

11B-B4

Sergeant
Minuteman
So i was out the other day shooting and I was trying with all my might to spot 22 cal bullet holes at 100 meters with my 4-16 FFP PST and my brothers 3-10 Leupy mk4... neither did the job very well. 30 cal holes were no problem but the 22 cal holes just washed out.

I was kinda suprised by this as the PST is 16x and I thought was fairly decent glass for the money.

I picked up my Leica Geovid 10x42 HDs and wow.... bullet holes as clear as the sun.

I never really used them much for spotting till yesterday as I usually am using a spotting scope.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
I guess my question is what riflescopes in the 1000-1500$ range can actually have the clarity and resolution to spot hits like this at 100 meters?</span>

It was amazing how shitty the Leupy and PST seemed in comparison to the leica binos. Granted there are two tubes instead of one and its leica glass... I know its not the best comparison.

I didn't get a chance to look through my S&B pmII at 10-16x or I would have. It wasn't on the range.

Yesterday has me thinking of switching my glass out for maybe a 50mm NXS or something.

Re: Spotting with Leica Geovids vs PST and leupy Mk4

Yeah, my Leica 8X32's do a much better job than most rifle scopes that I've looked through. That's why I always bring them to the range

My Bushnell HDMR spots 6mm holes at 300 in most conditions. 21 power and HD glass help a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, my Leica 8X32's do a much better job than most rifle scopes that I've looked through. That's why I always bring them to the range </div></div>really?
eek.gif
g.gif

sightron SIII can spot 22 cal holes at 300 yds all day anyday and so are my IOR and SS 5-20, can't say for any other brand though that is all i have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: while</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, my Leica 8X32's do a much better job than most rifle scopes that I've looked through. That's why I always bring them to the range </div></div>really?
eek.gif
g.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, really. It's great glass. I have Leupolds, Pentax, Burris, Weaver, Sightron, and some cheaper stuff too. The higher powered scopes (6-24's and whatnot)help me see the holes of course, but the scopes don't have the resolution of the Leicas.

I spend a lot more time behind the binos than I do the rifle scopes, that's why more money was spent on them. On my rifle scopes, I don't twist knobs, so I have no need for Nightforce or anything more expensive than that.

Yeah i was blown away that the leica binos at 10x could see much easier the bullet holes in the paper than a 16x PST.

They are amazing. Probably the last binos i will purchase.

But having said that, they make all my scopes look like crap. kinda a bitter sweet feeling I guess.