• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPR Build

kennyfisher4413

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Ashville, OH
Well I have started my second build. My intent for this build is to be an SPR build capable of shooting out to 600yds

As it stands right now this build weighs in at about 9.5 lbs

I will update as the build progresses. The build is about 98% done. The build will be topped off with a Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST 30mm , Larue SPR mount, Accushot monopod.

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

Upper $1257
-Spikes stripped upper
-Troy Lo Pro gas block
-Troy TRX Extreme 13" rail
-BCM 20" USMC SAM-R barrel
-Battle Comp 2.0
-BCM BCG
-BCM GF mod 4
-Atlas V8 bipods

Lower $475
-Spikes stripped lower with american flag logo " spikes donates proceeds from the flag to the wounded warrior foundation"
-Geissele super dynamic enhanced trigger
-Spikes enhanced LPK " minus the kns pins i messed up the hammer pin"
- Buffer tube, buffer and spring from Bravo Company USA
- Magpul PRS
- Command arms grip

Re: SPR Build

reasoning behind it is it was reccommended to me. The only optics ive used are Acogs and RDS type optics. So im soely going off of reccomendations from fellow shooters with more experience on this one.

If you are going to consistently shoot at over 300yds, you're going to really wish for more magnification. I ran a 4x ACOG on my DMR A2 back in the day, and 75% of the time the magnification was just too low for my taste. The other 25% of the time I was in an urban environment, and 4x was just about right.

The military issued Mk12 rifles run off of Leupold MR/T 3-9x and 2.5-8x, Nightforce 2.5-10x, and similar scopes. Short of investing in a S&B/Premier/Leupold 1-8x scope, these are the best options. I would suggest you look into the Viper PST 2.5-10x44, or the SWFA 3-9x42SS, or try and pick up a used Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T on here for cheap.
One of the most prolific SPR training facilities, GPS Defense, recommends the Mark4 LR/T 3.5-10x40 scopes for SPR use. They train Rangers, SEALs, USMC, etc.

I mean, if 1-4x is what you want, go ahead and get it. However, I would recommend that you reconsider. Your rifle is capable of some serious accuracy, and you won't be able to get that high level of accuracy out of a 4x scope. Like I said earlier, you are buying a DMR scope for an SPR role. Just my opinion though. I'm not saying that the other people are wrong, but I do think that you should move outside of your comfort zone on the magnification issue.

Nice build, you should be able to get to ~800 with that rig (using appropriate ammo). You are still in iron sight range at 600 so your 4x should be fine
smile.gif

I think the Geissele's enhanced series of triggers are prefect, although I still prefer the curved triggers.

I am interested to hear how you like the battle comp. They seem to be a good option for shooting prone.

I like your configuration. I think you did this up right. But as the others just suggested, I would go with much more mag than 4x. if you are into the viper, I would go for the 4-16. On my SPR, I run a NF 5.5-22x56. For the distance, you are gonna want more mag

IMG_0061.jpg

Oh, and get a BAD lever for that thing. Makes everything so much easier when shooting a precision AR.

Thanks guys for the comments and advice..i might just have to consider waiting a bit longer and saving up some more cash for the right optic. That was the other appealing side to the 1-4 I could afford to get it alot quicker.

Dtarget- I have a battle comp on another build and love it. Lives up to all the hype I had read prior to buying it. And now the 2.0 is compatible with supressors if i decide to ever go that route.

As much as id love to have a Night Force, Leupold mark 4 etc.. I just cant afford something like that right now. If I had to stretch my budget it would be $700 max what do you think would be the best option for this build within that budget?

For an excellent budget scope on top of an SPR, take a look at the SWFA SS 3-9x42. Clear glass, tracks perfect, FFP, comparatively lightweight, tough and inside of your budget. The only thing it lacks in my opinion is illumination and more reticle selection, but I don't mind running mildots in the daytime.

I have one riding on top of my MK12 while waiting for the S&B 1-8x to become available, and it's an excellent scope for a budget minded precision shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take a look at the SWFA SS 3-9x42</div></div>I second this recommendation. Excellent scope for your application.

The Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 is also $599. The advantage of it over the SWFA is the higher magnification and the illumination. I'm running one on my M1A, and I'm very impressed with the quality of it. You honestly can't go wrong with either scope.

USACS thanks for the info..Im probably going to lean toward the Vortex anyways due to the fact that I might be able to get a deal on one.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice as well.

I have a 1-4X on my 18" AR. TBH I've used the 1X setting only once and that was to kill a coyote in my backyard. Other than that it is on 4X exclusively. While I can shoot for groups at 100 and hit clays out to 300-350 just fine with it my advice is to go with more magnification. Something 10X max would fit very well.

If your budget is 700 then your choices are pretty much PST or Super Sniper. Might be able to find a used 10X super sniper HD at that price too.

I have decided to go with the Vortex 2.5-10x44

Which one of these mounts would be the best for this application?

LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT-104 with 30mm rings

LaRue Tactical SPR-E Scope Mount QD LT-139 with 30mm rings

LaRue has the ring height on the description; you'll have to make sure that it will clear the rail with that objective. You should be okay.

I didn't have a need for the extended eye relief, so I went with the LT-104.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Militant83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

LaRue Tactical SPR-E Scope Mount QD LT-139 with 30mm rings
</div></div>

My 1-4 is in a primary arms 50buck mount and it works fine. But then I'm a cheap ****er.

ADM recon mount, bobro, larue, all are good. I would get the one with a medium amount of eye relief, I doubt you'll need the super extended one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Militant83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have decided to go with the Vortex 2.5-10x44

LaRue Tactical SPR-E Scope Mount QD LT-139 with 30mm rings </div></div>

I had the same question with a similar set up, Larue Customer service is great, just shoot them and e-mail with your planned set up and they will get back to you.
They got back to me the next day on a scope mount/back up iron sight set up.

You could always call them too, I'm just an e-mail guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Militant83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have decided to go with the Vortex 2.5-10x44

LaRue Tactical SPR-E Scope Mount QD LT-139 with 30mm rings </div></div>

I had the same question with a similar set up, Larue Customer service is great, just shoot them and e-mail with your planned set up and they will get back to you.
They got back to me the next day on a scope mount/back up iron sight set up.

You could always call them too, I'm just an e-mail guy.
</div></div>
I have emailed them also and gotten a fast response. I prefer to call though, and you will get instant help. Their CS is fantastic.

As for the mount, the 2.5-10x requires about 4" of eye relief at 2.5x. The PST ocular housing is pretty long. I would seriously consider the LT-139 SPR-E mount. You can probably use either mounts, but the Extended mount will give you a wider range of placement. I know a lot of people prefer to only mount their optics to the top of the receiver and not anywhere on the rail, despite how solid the rail might be. If this is you, the SPR-E mount is definitely preferred.

Trust me Im just as eagar to see how it shoots as well..It will still be a couple months before that happens. Ive tapped out my funds for this month.

This build is another benefit to education thanks to the post 9/11 GI bill..lol another month another check..

Use the SPR-E mount. It is a tad lower than the LT-104. I think it also gives you 10 MOA.

LaRue reccomends the LT-104 for this application... But im still taking any advice from others that may have had personal experience with this combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use the SPR-E mount. It is a tad lower than the LT-104. I think it also gives you 10 MOA.</div></div>

You're thinking of the SPR-S mount. The SPR-E mount is the same height as the SPR-104 but it extends the scope forward for scopes with more eye relief or guys that like NTCH.

Yup, the SPR-S is what I meant