• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk SPR for PRS?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    My OCD is getting the best of me again! Lol
    I’m going to my first PRS style match this weekend in Navasota TX, with Texas Precision Matches.

I hunt and shoot at distance currently with a MK12 Mod 1 clone rifle and 77gn match 5.56. I have a clone correct 2.5-8X Leupold MK4 on the rifle.

I wanted to shoot PRS to hopefully make myself a better hunter while being forced to shoot under stress in real world shooting positions. I’ve shot F-class for years, but I know this is a completely different style of competition.

I’m now wondering if I’d have a better experience if I brought my 6.5X47 bolt gun with 5-25 mil/mil optic. Just don’t know what I don’t know….and I’m worried I’m gonna suck worse than ever if I try to run a small caliber gas gun.

Thanks boys!

• Haha
    Reactions: Huskydriver
    I'm pretty new to PRS myself, but between those two choices my vote goes to the 6.5x47 bolt rifle you have. I think the cartridge is much better suited for PRS. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing saying you can't compete with the MK12 clone, but I think you will have better results given those two choices. How is the 6.5x47 rifle setup? Chassis? Stock? Muzzle device? Magazine?

I've been at it for almost a year and I still suck. lol My rifle shoots great, but me not so much. I'm still learning and having fun! For your first one, don't worry about having a high score. Just focus on the learning and having fun part.

Reactions: BPGuru
    No question about it. You will hit twice as many targets with the x47 setup….which for your first match might be the difference between scoring 20 vs 10. I wouldn’t consider bringing the mark whatever clone thing to any PRS style match, ever, let alone your first one.

Like already mentioned. The SPR will not do you any favors.

With that being said I saw a guy show up with a .300 win mag and only hit about 6 targets all day.

So it’s always the shooter.

I'm pretty new to PRS myself, but between those two choices my vote goes to the 6.5x47 bolt rifle you have. I think the cartridge is much better suited for PRS. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing saying you can't compete with the MK12 clone, but I think you will have better results given those two choices. How is the 6.5x47 rifle setup? Chassis? Stock? Muzzle device? Magazine?

I've been at it for almost a year and I still suck. lol My rifle shoots great, but me not so much. I'm still learning and having fun! For your first one, don't worry about having a high score. Just focus on the learning and having fun part.
    Yeah the 6.5X47 would definitely be a better option for hitting more steel….
    McMillan A4 stock
    Bartlein barrel
    AICS magazines
    Suppressor
    Perhaps I’ll just plan on taking it….there just doesn’t seem to be a good match option for DMR style rifles with medium range capability.
    AA0B14F4-3BB4-469E-A2F2-AD0987919B64.jpeg

Like already mentioned. The SPR will not do you any favors.

With that being said I saw a guy show up with a .300 win mag and only hit about 6 targets all day.

So it’s always the shooter.
    Same outcome, different problem. But yes. Neither is the tool for the job.

You can take a cross peen hammer or a 20# sledge to a nail driving contest too but either one sucks to use.

My point on going is, I’m not considering myself as legitimately competing…..I’m wanting to shoot distance under stress to get better with the rifles I use for hunting.
    My real question here is, can an 18” 5.56 with an 8X Leupold MK4 scope perform in PRS stages?

I’ve taken this rifle out to 600yds all the time and have 100% confidence in the rifle within that range, and have shot the rifle to 800yds on occasion.

can an 18” 5.56 with an 8X Leupold MK4 scope perform in PRS stages?
    Not in anything more than the most generous usage of the word “perform”. You’ll be fighting the gun, the scope, the balance, the wind, the clock, the game, etc.

Changing the gun means you are down to only fighting the mental elements not also the mechanical.

If you’re going just to have fun and get more proficient with that setup by all means take it. Just realize on some of the stages you’ll struggle to get impacts, see impacts and most likely everyone in your squad will smoke you score wise. Even though more than likely you’ll really struggle it’ll be a learning experience in more than one way. If you enjoy competing and you find you really enjoy shooting matches it’ll more than likely be your first and last time using that SPR

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    Look up quantified performance for a gas gun match. Problem with 5.56 is it's tough to spot where the rounds hit and adjust so it gets to the point your just guessing the wind.

My point on going is, I’m not considering myself as legitimately competing…..I’m wanting to shoot distance under stress to get better with the rifles I use for hunting.
    My real question here is, can an 18” 5.56 with an 8X Leupold MK4 scope perform in PRS stages?

I’ve taken this rifle out to 600yds all the time and have 100% confidence in the rifle within that range, and have shot the rifle to 800yds on occasion.
    If you hit every target at 600 yards and less, you would be top 20 at every PRS match I have shot so far (all east of Mississippi).

I shoot bolt 6 Dasher though - look at the "gas gun" scores and many of those are shooting large frame ARs or 6ARC.

going in knowing you wont be competing for the top, either will be fine in all honesty. it depends what YOU want from the day...as it's basically a timed game shoot under pressure training day.

the A4 6.5x47 will be better, but nether of them are PRS comp guns...and that's okay

i've seen people shoot way worse than either of your options at their first match

I know for a fact if I tried to shoot any local positional match here with a 5.56 and an 8 power optic I would be miserable. You will be too.
    Take your x47 with the Schmidt. At least with that you can see splash and make good corrections instead of pissing in the wind all day.

You say that now but when you get there and realize people are hitting shit you're going to want to hit stuff too.

Can you shoot it well at 600yds while shooting off a fence post and a shooting bag while aiming at 1.5-2MOA targets? Because that is basically what you're going to be doing the entire time lol.

Take the bolt gun if not, IMHO at minimum switch scopes... only having 8x is going to be horrible in trying to find targets and spot misses.

You can always bring both guns, and if the Range Owner keeps the range open a little longer then the match is complete, you can run a few stages with the AR. Usually a bro of mine would spot/time and I'd get extra reps or throw pills at the longer range stages.

Absolutely 100% bring the 6.5x47, it's a fine rig for PRS. The only thing you need to add is a gamechanger shooting bag (or similar).

Shooting an AR 5.56 would be miserable in a match like that, even for an experienced shooter.

What is the maximum range for the match???

Nether of you guns are set up for PRS. I suspect both are butt heavy. There will most likley be 12 round + stages. So mag change required on the bolt gun unless you've already got an extension. Self spotting for me with 5.56 works to about 700y at 8x, beyond that it's what to here IMPACT from the spotter.

I'd just bring the one your looking to improve your hunting skills with.

Whatever gun you choose, make sure you have some flavor of Gamchanger bag. I run a smedium for both gas gun and bolt gun matches.
    Someone will probably have a spare they can lend you if you ask at the match.

Reactions: b6graham
    This.
    Have good dope and at the ready. This is most important. You need to at least impact the berms.
    First match is won when no DQ is called.

My OCD is getting the best of me again! Lol
    I’m going to my first PRS style match this weekend in Navasota TX, with Texas Precision Matches.

I hunt and shoot at distance currently with a MK12 Mod 1 clone rifle and 77gn match 5.56. I have a clone correct 2.5-8X Leupold MK4 on the rifle.

I wanted to shoot PRS to hopefully make myself a better hunter while being forced to shoot under stress in real world shooting positions. I’ve shot F-class for years, but I know this is a completely different style of competition.

I’m now wondering if I’d have a better experience if I brought my 6.5X47 bolt gun with 5-25 mil/mil optic. Just don’t know what I don’t know….and I’m worried I’m gonna suck worse than ever if I try to run a small caliber gas gun.

Thanks boys!
    I have shot matches for years with TX Precision Matches, Prentice and Cory K are awesome hosts, and we have seen everything from MK18's, yes, MK18's come out for matches. Shoot what you want, the group that shoots at TX Precision are outstanding to new shooters to PRS and they actually have a lot of gas gun that show up every month.

Once you have a few matches under your belt then decide what you want to do in PRS. You never know, you could come out and be the rain man of the gas gun!

I’ve heard lately the matches there (Navasota) have been 700y and in. Shouldn’t be a huge issue with calling impacts especially with a 223. The squads self RO anyway so a few can be on glass to assist with spotting if it’s hard to see.

Take the 47. It’s prob the best rounded prs cartridge there is even though it gets no love these days. I shot one in quite a few prs matches and still do in our club monthly. Mine was fitted with an A5 for a long time but now days lives in a MPA matrix pro. If you can learn to manage recoil decent when shooting positional you’ll have half the battle whipped.

Nothing wrong with prs in a gas gun. Nothing wrong with prs and a 223. I’d hate to have both of those factors stacked against me at once though. Either is a disadvantage. Together is a shit show at best.

Shooting matches makes you a better rifleman imo. Go have fun and learn!

Thanks for the responses. I’m gonna bring the 47 bolt gun for my first match.
    I did order an Shmedium game changer and will have it in my kit as well.

Good call. I use a Schmedium bag as well. Hopefully you picked the heavy sand fill version. A tip about that bag is most folks remove about a hand full of sand from it so it conforms to the prop you're shooting from just a smidge better.

Good call. I use a Schmedium bag as well. Hopefully you picked the heavy sand fill version. A tip about that bag is most folks remove about a hand full of sand from it so it conforms to the prop you're shooting from just a smidge better.
    I’ll do that!
    Yessir, I did order the heavy sand fill version. 🤙

Reactions: stevieb92
    If/when you shoot at Navasota you will see that it’s really Wiebad heavy. They are based just 30 mins away from the range. I have a shit load of bags and of all of them, the AG Shmedium Plus One from JC Steel gets used the most. Next would be the Wiebad Tator Tot. That’s a popular bag as well.

Yessir,
    Just shot my first PRS style match in Navasota…..all I have to say is I have been truly humbled!
    Humbled by the courtesy of the folks I shot with and put the match on, and humbled by the difficulty of this style of shooting and how good others can shoot out there!!!

Yessir,
    Just shot my first PRS style match in Navasota…..all I have to say is I have been truly humbled!
    Humbled by the courtesy of the folks I shot with and put the match on, and humbled by the difficulty of this style of shooting and how good others can shoot out there!!!
    So…you took the bolt gun? How did you do? Get some hits? Learn some things? Details man!

Yessir,
    I was out there too. It was HOT AF today. Glad you had a good time. Always good folks out there.

• Love
    So…you took the bolt gun? How did you do? Get some hits? Learn some things? Details man!
    Yes, I took the bolt gun…..and I’m damn glad I did! Only gas guns I seen were large frames in 6/6.5 flavors.

I got hits on every stage. But not near as many as I came in expecting to! Not by a damn sight.

Here’s what I learned-
    - Shooting prone F-Class style barely scrapes the surface of long range fieldcraft.
    - When the buzzer goes off, automatically deduct 75 IQ points!
    - Shooting off random improvised positions with only your shoulder supporting the rear of the gun is a LOT harder to do correctly. This style won’t let you cheat on your fundamentals.
    - The guys and girls I met were friendly and accommodating. There was a young girl and her father who shot in my squad, and she’s by far one of the best shooters I’ve ever seen!
    - 6 GT is a solid performing cartridge, and quiet as a mouse peeing on cotton suppressed.
    - And lastly, I don’t have my youth anymore, but I could do to get some weight off for better mobility!

I’ll be back next month!

My experience wasn't as positive as yours, mostly due to self limitations, but the only thing I'd add is I lose about 100 iq points on the buzzer.

Also guns are damn heavy

But I'm going back....

We had 3 SPRs, I think it might be a local thing as the match today was 550 max distance. They seemed perfectly fine, but it was dry and dusty AF, so spots were easy

Yes, I took the bolt gun…..and I’m damn glad I did! Only gas guns I seen were large frames in 6/6.5 flavors.

I got hits on every stage. But not near as many as I came in expecting to! Not by a damn sight.

Here’s what I learned-
    - Shooting prone F-Class style barely scrapes the surface of long range fieldcraft.
    - Shooting off random improvised positions with only your shoulder supporting the rear of the gun is a LOT harder to do correctly. This style won’t let you cheat on your fundamentals.
    - The guys and girls I met were friendly and accommodating. There was a young girl and her father who shot in my squad, and she’s by far one of the best shooters I’ve ever seen!
    - 6 GT is a solid performing cartridge, and quiet as a mouse peeing on cotton suppressed.
    - And lastly, I don’t have my youth anymore, but I could do to get some weight off for better mobility!

I’ll be back next month!
    You might have been the squad next to us. We were the suppressed only one.

Here’s what I learned-

I’ll be back next month!
    No zeros is a perfectly acceptable first match goal. Good job!