• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPR Load development - 16"-18" rifles

shootertom

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
I'm in the process of getting one built up and would like to see what everyone is using for their favorite loads.

I am hoping to start with 75gr ELDM's

73 ELD-M forget about the 75 eld-m
77 TMK
77 SMK
77 Scenar-L
Pick whichever you can find a few hundreds in stock and go 22.5-23.5gr XBR or 23.5-24.5 varget depending on brass case capacity, chamber, etc.
Easy button.

They aren't mag length friendly. You can single feed them in an AR, or use them in a bolt gun.

There is a third option, but it's kinda silly.
Artsncrafts.jpg

I found the photos of 75gr A-MAX loaded to mag length.

1d41f2461_zps2f166d24.jpg

You could trim your necks to half a caliber I guess. Ha ha!

A guy showed up to one of my DM courses in 2013 with a bunch of that stacked deep. I brought cases of 69gr and 75gr BTHP for when his stuff would inevitably crap the bed on Day 1, Morning 1. But it ran like a raped ape and he slayed targets with better hit rate than anyone else. It was crazy. His buddy loaded them up for him too, crimped the necks down onto the freakin’ ogive.

Artsncrafts.jpg

A guy showed up to one of my DM courses in 2013 with a bunch of that stacked deep. I brought cases of 69gr and 75gr BTHP for when his stuff would inevitably crap the bed on Day 1, Morning 1. But it ran like a raped ape and he slayed targets with better hit rate than anyone else. It was crazy. His buddy loaded them up for him too, crimped the necks down onto the freakin’ ogive.

Genius comes in many forms.

Artsncrafts.jpg

Oh ok, well im learning now! What are the max size that load well in the gasser mags?

Yes.
I never got them to shoot really well. Okay, but not great. In fact that's been the case with any of the newer higher BC bullets and I've pretty much gone back to the boring old low tech SMK's.
I'm going to run a 6-twist barrel so hopefully that will help. I have had good and bad luck with Hornady's in other rifles so hopefully I'll be able to make them work.

• Wow
Reactions: FredHammer
Artsncrafts.jpg

I was shooting mag fed 75 ELD's for a while in a very modified gun. They didn't like to jump and when the throat went they flat refused to shoot after that, but at 2900fps+ and the BC trued at .45 they were magic.

Reactions: LRRPF52
I'm going to run a 6-twist barrel so hopefully that will help. I have had good and bad luck with Hornady's in other rifles so hopefully I'll be able to make them work.
The 73 ELD's? 6 twist is way unnecessary for that. I wouldn't go that way at all for any mag fed 5.56 rifle.

Reactions: XP1K and LRRPF52
68gr Hornady BTHP
69gr SMK
69gr TMK
69gr Nosler CC
70gr TSX
70gr Nosler RDF
70gr Berger VLD
73gr ELD-M
73gr Berger
75gr Hornady BTHP
75gr Hornady BTHP with cannelure
77gr SMK
77gr Nosler BTHP
77gr Nosler BTHP with cannelure
77gr Berger
77gr TMK
77gr Scenar-L

You’ll be fine with a 7 or 8 twist for these. 6.5 twist is for the 90gr Bergers or SMKs single-loaded in custom chambers.

The 73 ELD's? 6 twist is way unnecessary for that. I wouldn't go that way at all for any mag fed 5.56 rifle.
What could be a negative effect of that? More twist equals higher bc right? Ive had excellent results from fast twisting a lot of other calibers.

68gr Hornady BTHP
69gr SMK
69gr TMK
69gr Nosler CC
70gr TSX
70gr Nosler RDF
70gr Berger VLD
73gr ELD-M
73gr Berger
75gr Hornady BTHP
77gr SMK
77gr Nosler BTHP
77gr Berger
77gr TMK
77gr Scenar-L
77gr RDF works too. Well, works is a strong word. It fits in a mag

68gr Hornady BTHP
69gr SMK
69gr TMK
69gr Nosler CC
70gr TSX
70gr Nosler RDF
70gr Berger VLD
73gr ELD-M
73gr Berger
75gr Hornady BTHP
77gr SMK
77gr Nosler BTHP
77gr Berger
77gr TMK
77gr Scenar-L

You’ll be fine with a 7 or 8 twist for these. 6.5 twist is for the 90gr Bergers or SMKs single-loaded in custom chambers.
LOTS to choose from, hopefully not all too hard to get my hands on.

What could be a negative effect of that? More twist equals higher bc right? Ive had excellent results from fast twisting a lot of other calibers.
Maybe not a negative per se, but its unnecessary, and possibly limits you to only the heavier end of the .224 bullet spectrum. And I've heard of twist effecting BC but no hard data to support it being a consequential amount.
All the bullets on that list will shoot very well in an 8 twist.

@shootertom - bullet length certainly comes into play with the magazine restriction, but the bullets that shoot best in the ARs are the ones that have their initial bearing contact surface closer to the tip of the bullet, thus allowing it to decrease the jump to the lands while seated magazine length friendly, for me that's 2.250-2.255. (Ideally, the 77SMK nose profile, and basically none of the "tipped" versions)

This is in contrast to the long pointy VLD types that have the initial bearing surface contact further back, and all that length out front just eats the mag length for no gain.

@shootertom - bullet length certainly comes into play with the magazine restriction, but the bullets that shoot best in the ARs are the ones that have their initial bearing contact surface closer to the tip of the bullet, thus allowing it to decrease the jump to the lands while seated magazine length friendly, for me that's 2.250-2.255. (Ideally, the 77SMK nose profile, and basically none of the "tipped" versions)

This is in contrast to the long pointy VLD types that have the initial bearing surface contact further back, and all that length out front just eats the mag length for no gain.
That makes perfect sense, Im more used to setting up bolt rifles so itll be an adjustment for me. Seems as though the smk's are a crowd favorite, so perhaps Ill start with those.

I had stronly considered a 6 arc or 22 arc, but I like the availability of .223.

Reactions: FredHammer
I appreciate everyone's feedback on this one, I'm now leaning towards a 6 arc. The bullet restrictions on the .223 seem to dull it down a bit. In the same token, the .223 seem like it would be a lot of fun. Either way, I'm reloading so I'm thinking 6 arc is more appealing.

Do you not already own an AR you can make up some test loads for?

77 smk
TAC powder

LC brass
24.4 gr
CCI #41

Win Brass
24.2 gr
Cci 400’s

Both recipes shoot tiny knot holes in all my AR 223’s.

I plan to try 77 TMK’s again shortly but I haven’t been as happy with them. Same accuracy as 73 eldm’s (1-1.5 moa) but twice as expensive.

Xbr 8208 gets the same velocity maybe a smidge better accuracy and very temp stable but I got tired of trying to find after pandemic and when I do it cost a fortune.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger