• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPR vs Varmint Rifle?

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    Rationale:
    I've had the itch for a while now to get a SPR type of rifle. I've never fired a Mod 0 or Mod 1 in the military, but always thought they were cool in the hands of the guys who carried them.
    At first I just wanted to buy one, but with [close to true SPR's] made by reputable names/brands, I'm looking at easily over $2,000 if not a lot more. So then I decided I'd put in the effort to price out and build my own. After pricing out everything I wanted, and putting quality parts where they need to be, I figured I could get away with spending $1,300-$1500 on building a rifle with all the SPRish features that I found attractive. I was satisfied with the idea of eventually starting this project until recently. I've been looking into "Varmint AR's" and they seem to have a lot of what I'm looking for in longer range precision AR even though they do seem to be moving away from the true SPR concept.
    If I'm being real with myself, I should admit that I will most likely not be doing any long movements or offhand hunting with this rifle. So there is really no reason to keep it light and properly balanced. This rifle will more than likely see most of it's use at the range as a supplement to my 308 AR that is about 8.5lbs scoped [think recoil].

Question:
    So my questions are these purely subjective ones that are relatively broad in nature.
    What are your opinions on the SPR concept VS some modern options for Varmint AR's in 5.56/223wylde? This question may assume both are being used for 100yd-600yd shots in unknown environments where there is no need to shoot offhand.
    What varmint rifle seems like a good one for the money? The Stag Model 6 caught my eye at under $850 with Stag throwing out .5MOA rhetoric when speaking of it. But it has a long heavy 24" barrel. RRA Varmint A4 seems to have a lot of great reviews as well but it's several hundred more. Then of course I could still build my own, but buying something that has already been tried and tested with consistent results does have it's appeal.

If you've read this far, then thanks for entertaining my thoughts. Any opinions or experience with any of these types of rifles is certainly appreciated.

Cheers

Just found that Stag has their Model 6H complete upper with bolt and all for $380 right now which is very attractive. I don't want to throw money at something on a whim, but my goodness.

I have a mod0 clone and a 20" with the SPR profile for the AE/Ops12 can. I also have the AEM5. These are not light rifles by any means. Especially with the 9" steel suppressor. I have shot both of mine out to 600. They do ok on IPSC full sized but IMO 600 is a risky shot on anything smaller, especially if it's moving. Someone is gonna pop in and tell you they can hold half MOA to 600 w/an 18" barrel but I'd say that is either the exception to the rule or bullshit. A 77 over 24gr of varget or rl15 is moving out pretty good and a tiny but of wind will take you off a 12" plate.

What it's to boil down to is, what is the main goal of this build? If it's 600y shots on groundhogs, SPR may not be the right choice. If you want a mod0 clone, or something close, you can always have a smith cut a 20-24" with an SPR profile at the end, then add the collar and brake. If you do it, drill the brake out to 30 cal.

I have an spr-ish build thread in here. More concept than clone, but so far I'm satisfied with the compromise that the 18" provides.

That said, the 6h for that price is hard to pass up if you're remotely interested. Just make sure the twist will shoot the bullets you plan to shoot.

So it's not like me to rush a purchase but I went ahead and picked up a Stag Model 6H complete upper for $380. With that deal I can always sell it to get my cash back if it doesn't work out.
    This will also hopefully quench my need for a long range 5.56 AR for the moment while I collect my thoughts and figure out what I really want in a later practical SPRish build.

I know not many people have these, so I'll just share my experience with my stag without comparing them to the mk12s that I haven't shot. I can say that as far as accurate 5.56/223s go, my stag has been fantastic. I've had it for over 5 years and it's been .5 moa if not better with fiocchi 50 gr vmax and 69 gr Australian outback the entire time. I have thousands of rounds through it, and it has yet to malfunction (granted I'm not dropping it in mud, but I don't clean it for 500 ish rounds when I'm shooting prairie dogs). I've taken mine well past 600 yards and it performs excellently. The thick barrel does really well with long strings of fairly quick shooting. Mine wears a first gen razor HD and I tossed a geissele national match trigger in it. I know a lot of people who shoot more mid weight semis like 10-12x scopes, but if you are okay with dealing with the weight I'd grab a scope that goes up to 16x at least. I have shot the stag side by side with various Rock Rivers and a tikka bolt gun for comparison and they all do right at a half moa all day, so if you want an affordable 5.56 gasser, go for the stag. Best 850 I ever spent.