• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPR

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    I've had a hole in my safe for an SPR for some time but its one of those rifles that's been on the back burner, but I fell into this deal that I couldn't refuse...

Seekins matched upper and lower
    Troy rails
    Magpul ACS
    Fluted DEZ 20" match barrel, 1-9 twist
    PWS flash hider
    Chrome plated BCG (don't know whose)
    USO 1.8-10X (had it lying around)
    12.5 lbs with optic (no mag)
    JP trigger (not a fan but it works)

This is my 1st Seekins platform and I gotta say...really nice freakin' receivers.

Should be much cheaper to train with than my other rigs

746-p7280093.jpg

747-p7280095.jpg

Attachments

• 747-p7280095.jpg
      747-p7280095.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 13
    • 746-p7280093.jpg
      746-p7280093.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:
    Nice Rig! Black Hills 77s are still hard to come by these days. But definitely cheaper than a 338 laupa.

You don't like the JP Trigger ? If you don't mine why ?

You don't like the JP Trigger ? If you don't mine why ?

Ummm...there simply are those that feel better to me. I had one break on me once but I can't really say that's the reason...if you shoot a lot, shit is going to break. I'd shoot a $10 trigger if it felt better than someone's "magic" trigger.

I feel the same way about JP triggers. I am waiting for an LRP right now. I've told myself I am going to spend at least 200 rds with the JP trigger to see if it grows on me. If not the rifle will get a geissele, probably the SD-E. For me I think I just have so much more time on two stage triggers.

Thank you for your response, I was just curious because I have not heard to many people that did not like it. Triggers are just like rifles, everyone likes what fits them best. Congrats and you have a beautiful weapon shoot the hell out of it.

I feel the same way about JP triggers. I am waiting for an LRP right now. I've told myself I am going to spend at least 200 rds with the JP trigger to see if it grows on me. If not the rifle will get a geissele, probably the SD-E. For me I think I just have so much more time on two stage triggers.

I have the Geissele SSA and SSA-E in my PWS carbines and both are great triggers. I actually shot fairly well with the JP I had in a SASS I used to own but it just wasn't quite as crisp as some other singe stage offerings. They're surely much better than most all rack grade triggers. The breakage issue I had might have been a poor/improper install from DPMS

Man that is a nice rig. I have never handled a seekins receiver but they look heavy duty.
    Same here. They're very impressive to say the least. I'll go so far as to say they're the best 5.56 receivers I've handled to date. I have several sets of their rings so I can't say I'm surprised.

Just curious, why the 1/9 twist selection for an SPR?
    Didn't have a choice. This was a completed build that wouldn't sell because of the asking price and I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse so I leaped on it. Given its purpose as a trainer it should shoot well enough. I'll likely fry the barrel within 2 years anyway so I can get something more suitable when the time comes. I likely got this thing close to cost.

Last edited:
    Cool, I had a feeling it was something like that. I've been running a 1/7 on my Centurion built MK12, and I have to say it's nothing short of amazing how well it shoots 77gr Sierras. The last 1/9 barrel I have in my stable is getting ditched because I can't get it to group worth shit with any ammo... Of course it's not the twist's fault, just a shitty Para-USA barrel on a shitty TTR, but I'm going to get that thing to shoot well if it breaks the bank out of pure stubbornness!

Very nice build and looks great; makes me want this next leave to hurry up and get here so I can complete my two Seekins builds.

Cool, I had a feeling it was something like that. I've been running a 1/7 on my Centurion built MK12, and I have to say it's nothing short of amazing how well it shoots 77gr Sierras. The last 1/9 barrel I have in my stable is getting ditched because I can't get it to group worth shit with any ammo... Of course it's not the twist's fault, just a shitty Para-USA barrel on a shitty TTR, but I'm going to get that thing to shoot well if it breaks the bank out of pure stubbornness!

Very nice build and looks great; makes me want this next leave to hurry up and get here so I can complete my two Seekins builds.

This should do fairly well with FGM 69's. Strangely enough I was told the twist was 1 in 8.5 but the barrel is stamped 1-9. Not sure what the logic behind that choice was or even if its true but DEZ barrels aren't exactly top tier to begin with so I can't complain. I'll find out how she shoots tomorrow. If I can hit a 12" plate at 600 I'll be happy and it will suit my purposes. Its mostly a positional trainer and I'll be happy with 1-1.2 MOA

Last edited:
    I got to take it out today and except for a bolt that was slightly "over-chromed" it's an impressive shooter. The bolt kept locking up so I had to break position and free it between shots so I simply adjusted to center punch one round @ 100 and just called it zeroed. Then moved directly to 600.

In spite of the bolt lockup and unjamming between shots, the 1st 3 rounds printed at the left edge of the plate just under 1/2 MOA. Almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. After unjamming the bolt again the wind kicked up and the next was close to centerline and the last 2 printed at the right edge. I didn't correct for wind/elevation since I just wanted to get a feel for the barrel and I didn't trust the zero to be perfect, but I'd say it's a hammer running FGMM 69's. Vertical spread was @ 5.75". I'll take that any day from a 5.56 @ 600

After bringing it home I discovered that the bolt cam was simply too tight so I lapped it out and it feels night and day different. Quite surprising for a Frankengun. Hopefully the jamming is cured and I can just drop in a better trigger

751-imag0117.jpg

Last edited:
    This should do fairly well with FGM 69's.

Actually try some 77 grain if you have them. I have a 9 twist barrel that likes them much better than the fed 69gr gmm. I keep hearing about 1-9 not being able to stabilize that round. I have 2 barrels (a 20" armalite and a 16" colt) that shoot them very well.

Actually try some 77 grain if you have them. I have a 9 twist barrel that likes them much better than the fed 69gr gmm. I keep hearing about 1-9 not being able to stabilize that round. I have 2 barrels (a 20" armalite and a 16" colt) that shoot them very well.
    I keep hearing that but from what I saw today the FGM 69's are nothing to sneeze at. I'll likely try a few different pills and run the cheapest round I can find that will print sub MOA at 600. Not concerned too much with the prettiest groups.