• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Spray on Coatings on AICS Skins

GTGunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2011
Central Florida
I am looking to have a digital camo pattern painted on a AICS stock. I did a search but came up empty handed which surprised me.

I am planning on having this done professionally rather than do it myself. After doing some research, I had settled on having Cerakote sprayed on the barreled action, scope rings/base, and the AICS (skins and metal frame).

My concern is with having the plastic skins sprayed and whether any sprayed finish will stand up to use/cleaning. I have been told that Cerakote is not recommended for the AICS skins but that Duracote (with some flex agent is the way to go followed by a one week curing process.

For you guys that have AICS stocks and have had them sprayed with Duracote, can you speak to the durability of the finish especially in areas such as the pistol grip / thumbhole area?

Thanks fellas!

GTGunner

Re: Spray on Coatings on AICS Skins

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cerakote is just as or even more flexible than DuraCoat beside many times more durable. </div></div>

Thanks for the reply.....I figure the AICS skins will not be flexing much so C Series Cerakote should be GTG. LTM Refinishing (Larson Tactical) suggested using Duracote instead of CeraKote on the skins.

Here is a link to a picture of what I want it to look like if I decide to have LTM do the work on the stock (last picture on the page with AICS stock):

http://www.larsontactical.com/id33.html

Anyone here have any experience with LTM?

GTGunner

Re: Spray on Coatings on AICS Skins

Okay guys .....thanks for all the inputs. Greatly appreciated. Does anyone have any experience with LTM Refinishing???

Update: I received some PMs warning me to stay clear of Larson Tactical (LTM)....apparently the owner has stiffed a lot of guys and they are out not only the money they paid him for refinishing work but it seems that several guys have not had guns returned.

I will definitely take my business elsewhere.